Project Boxes

Old 12-20-2019, 07:44 PM

I went and tried to buy some pizza boxes from a pizza place. They would not take money for them and they are perfect to keep a project.
Old 12-21-2019, 03:44 AM

Thank you Iceblossom for sharing your organizational process...what a great idea about keeping notes on projects. I don’t usually have more than one or two quilts going on at a time but a project box would be perfect for keeping the pieces tidy and clean.
Old 12-21-2019, 04:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by canmitch1971 View Post
I went and tried to buy some pizza boxes from a pizza place. They would not take money for them and they are perfect to keep a project.
I agree on the pizza boxes. My store wouldn't take money either.... and they get free advertising when I carry the boxes to sit n sew and show n tell LOL
Old 12-21-2019, 06:42 AM

I found some plastic totes that you can stack on top of each other and connect using just 1 lid for all of them. When I'm working on a number of projects I tend to keep them in their own tote/container. If I have pieces cut for each block I'll put them in their own little bag to keep them separate from the rest. I'll add an alphabet pin inside so I know what block it goes to. I am the type that makes lots of notes adding an alphabet to each step/block to keep them organized. As I finish a step I'll mark it off so I don't double up on it. Same when I cut my sashings, borders and bindings so I don't cut twice.........which I've done in the past. I'll pin the type of blocks together so they keep organized and less wrinkled too. My projects I haven't started are on a top shelf with their fabrics, pattern and who its for. Sometimes during the year I might add a fabric I think might work well with that particular project, sometimes I'll change patterns altogether if I find one I like much better. But each project has its own particular spot on the shelf so they don't get mixed up.
Old 12-31-2019, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

I have plastic drawer towers in different sizes. They came from different places including Walmart and a rolling cart one from wayfair. Hubby transformed my closet into a shelving cubbies organizing closet with a system from Home depot that has divided shelving to hold cloth drawers and some with just stacked fabrics. I love being able to know where to look for each type of fabric or tool I need. I also have a wooden cabinetry piece that has a door with five shelves that I keep my separated patterns in. Also two bookshelves for my quilting books.
It all keeps me organized and sane. I could never be happy in a room where the clutter makes me uncomfortable.
The one habit I need to employ is to put away as I work. I tend to stack fabrics on my step stool until it is a foot high.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:56 AM

I have found out that Ikea flat cardboard boxes make great project storage when cut and adjusted in size to something like a pizza box.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:37 AM
Administrator

i also store most of my fabrics and UFOs in stacks of transparent plastic drawers.
i can see what's in the drawers so searching is less stressful.
if i want to take a project with me to sew away from home i just pull out the drawer and it goes with me.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:16 AM

I also use the clear plastic drawer units for fabric very convenient and keeps the dust off. And I like being able to pull out a drawer full of fabric when auditioning borders or bindings on my design wall.

For UFOs I have those clear plastic 12 x 12 expanding envelopes from the scrapbooking section at Michaels- these get stood on end in a cardboard box and stashed under my cutting table. Cheap and easy to flip through when I want to work on a UFO.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 01-04-2020 at 05:20 AM.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:49 AM

Love your idea and creativity to stay organized with projects.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:58 AM

It is impressive! I don't even come close to this. I have seperated projects in canvas bags and fabric palettes for specific future quilts kept in a cedar chest. The stash is pretty organized too. I like the box idea for pieces that are cut out or to hold the entire project. I think this would work better than canvas bags everywhere.