Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: The right table

The right table

Hello, I am just starting with everything. I purchased my machine with the help of this group and realized that I need a better table and after looking through the boards am now on a new mission to set up a small space that makes sense. The machine I have came with an extension table.

Looking for for ideas on a sewing table; do I get one that has the cutout for the machine or is the extension better? A bonus would be to be able to use the table as a craft table for T-shirt iron-ons /card making etc (or maybe need another table/storage for that)

Because my space is shared in the finished basement, it might be nice to have a table that folds away when not used. Are the folding ones sturdy?

Is craigslist/facebook my best bet?

Any links or pics of suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you !!

Good Morning, I worked on a white folding table for years. It helped to have a rolling office chair that would raise higher to get the right angle for sewing. You could combine one with a folding sew ez table for your machine. I helps immensely to have the machine set into the table. Both would fold away. If you didn't need a folding table, I would recommend finding a dining table at a second hand store and cutting an insert for your machine. DH and I found an old library table at a thrift store and he cut out an insert in the lower right corner. The table is about 48 x 60. I love the extra space for my cutting mat and to hold a quilt as I quilt. It's very sturdy and doesn't bounce or move when I sew.

Blog Entries
    Where r u located I’m in North Dakota n I have a koala sewing cabinet that has lift n machine home is 11” by 22”

Iím in New Jersey. Thereís so many options, but canít seem to find any that donít have bad reviews. Iím wondering if a yard sale table with no lift may be the best option.

I have several banquet table type tables that I use for my vintage machines. I also have a Sew Ezi table that I bought for my Juki to do FMQ. I really like it. It seems to be a good quality product. They have a smaller portable table and a larger one. Also extension tables.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

What machine do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by zozee View Post
    What machine do you have?
    I have a Bernina 640 with embroidery. It sounds like the cutout is highly recommended.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-29-2019 at 02:50 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

I found a kitchen table at the thrift store. We cut a hole in the top for the cords. Added a grommet to cover the edges.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-2-1...met/1000898168

You can cut down the table legs to the correct height. The other option is to use a cushion on your chair so you sit higher in the chair.

In case someone else comes across a similar question, here’s what I went with; the Husky adjustable table sold by Home Depot. I was able to find a white one with drawers, but they might not make them anymore- they had limited stock.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-46...0aAjpXEALw_wcB

Blog Entries
    I have several tables I have picked up over the years that will be used in my sewing studio when I have room for one. I love repurposing items.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

I have a Bernina 750 and I use a 5 foot long computer table with the "drop down" for the keyboard (only my sewing machine sits where the keyboard should be). My DH bought it for $15 when the college was getting rid of some of their computer tables from the lab. He added additional support for the weight of the machine...
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-30-2019 at 02:11 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

https://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/s...-arrow-bertha#

I hope I am sending a link to the Arrow Bertha sewing machine cabinet that I have. It is large enough to be useful and folds up nicely if you need it to do that. It has recessed bed for the machine, adjustable. The company will need info about your machine to make the insert. I've had mine for over 5 years. I like it a lot. When I first got it I was sewing in a guest room so it was nice to be able to fold it up. Now I have the walk-out basement for my sewing area and don't really have to put it away! It gives good support for FMQ because it opens up so big. Plus It has an extension on the back of the table that also folds down if needed. Relatively reasonable price I think, for what you get.

I like the Arrow table. I settled on the workbench for now. I’m excited about the adjustable height.
    I’m now looking for a chair too. Do you also have the Arrow chair? It looks perfect.

I use a dining room table that I repurposed after buying a new one. I like it because its has lots of room for my project, it's sturdy and I can use any of my machines on it.
    Everyone can't be Irish, somebody has to drive.

I bought a couple of these Ikea tables. https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/linnmon...ite-s09929641/

The legs are bought separately so I chose extendable ones which give me a great height on the one I use for cutting and the one I use for the machine is set at the right height for me on my office chair.
    Singer Featherweight 221, Janome MC 4800, Janome Horizon 8900QCP Special Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo View Post
    I like the Arrow table. I settled on the workbench for now. Iím excited about the adjustable height.
    Iím now looking for a chair too. Do you also have the Arrow chair? It looks perfect.
    I found an adjustable office chair at one of the office supply stores that works for me.

Blog Entries
    I'm having the same issue for my sewing room. I currently have a very large old desk that was used in a realtors office. Drawers on both sides with a shallow drawer in the middle. I want to get rid of it and get three 2 drawer file cabinets and put a door on top. That way I could have two machines set up and be able to use both whenever I wished. Also need to eliminate the small piano in my sewing room to. That takes up to much space for sure. The closet is a whole different matter. I'm hoping to get some decent shelving in there so I can see exactly What fabric I have at a glance. I'm tired of the clear bin thing. To much lifting etc.
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

I use a wooden dinning room table that I found on Craig's List. It is all one piece so my son and his friend were able to make a cutout to set my machine into on both sides. It is a 36x60 table so big enough to quilt large quilts on and any other projects that come along. I love it, works great as a sewing table.
    Susan

I couldn't find a small inexpensive desk to use for cutting/drawing, so i searched for a dinette w/o chairs. Found the perfect one for $69 at Ashley Home Furnishing and Amazon.