Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: rolling vs folding chair for sewing

I think comfort is way more important than style. Try out every chair you are considering of both styles and think about sitting in them for hours. You want to come away from an afternoon of quilting with a sense of satisfaction in your accomplishments, not a loss of sensation in your behind.
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

I love my rolling chair. I also know that one of my quilting teachers fell off of her non-roller chair trying to pick something up and broke her leg.

I use an office chair mat under my chair (I also have carpet) and it works great. I bought a floor model at PIQF of the sewer's chair, but I think any decent roller chair without arms would be fine. I even take my chair to classes where I know they use folding chairs. Otherwise, I get a back ache. I had sciatica a few years ago and sitting in a folding chair prolonged periods of time irritates it.

Most folding chairs sit with the sitter leaning back into the backrest. A good ergonomic chair has height, seat tilt and back tilt adjustments that fit the person.

Blog Entries
    I have been shopping for a new chair. Mine isn't very comfortable. I haven't found one I like. It has to roll. I prefer no arms and it need to be height adjustable. I like to sit up higher when I FMQ vs when I sew. ANy suggestions on a good brand.

I have a small rolling chair that is uncomfortable for the computer, but for some reason is great for sewing. Can't explain that. But it is small, and fits in my crowded room.

Blog Entries
    I have both. One of my machines has a narrow area where your legs go and to get close enough so there's no back strain, I use a folding chair. But not just any kind. I found one of the old wooden ones like you used to see in country Churches. I got a kitchen cushion set for it and it's very comfortable to sew using it. I do have a rolling chair for the other machine and it's wide enough that I can scoot it up under the cabinet so it doesn't take up a lot of room.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
    Folding chair does sound nice, issue is that I don't think you will find one comfortable enough or with enough support to use. If you are only sewing for 10-15 min at a time that would be one thing but we all know you will be in that chair longer! Heck other than your bed it will probably be the most used piece of furniture you have
    I couldn't agree more! Buy the BEST chair you can get. I will admit that I have fibromyalgia, but I have
    developed some somewhat serious and costly ailments from sitting too much in a cheap chair at the kids.
    I got a wonderful heavy duty, well built "roller" and no new problems. So comfy!
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

Love, love, love my rolling chair with lumbar support. I can adjust the height and tilt and my back is always comfortable. Yes, sometimes I have to give an extra push to move it out of the way but the trade off is worth it to me. We put a piece of pegboard over the carpet and I roll around freely.
    Wendy in VA

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

I forgot to mention that my "fancy" hydraulic chair, with yes, lumbar support came from a thrift store for $18.00
    and dh didn't want me to buy "another thing".
    Well, guess who loves it now?
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

QM
    A chair with good back support is essential for a healthy back when you are working.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    ​I like a rolling chair so I can freely move closer to the machine or roll the chair back to get up. My sewing room has carpet so it would be a pain to push back a folding chair.

Same here. And I like to swivel from my sewing machine to my ironing "board" --which is simply a short IKEA unit with shelves that doubles as a nightstand.

I bought a rolling chair at a warehouse sale. It swivels and moves out of the way easily. I love my chair. It adjusts to any heights. It has no arms to get in the way. Its a side chair from an office confront room.

Rolling chair! Up and down is way easier!!
    Chrystina
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning.., Satan shudders & says ..."Oh no....she's awake"

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ChrystinapCreations

May I suggest you try your local craigslist or perhaps a warehouse sale with office furniture? Try out all you can find in your price range. Best chairs to sew have NO ARMS for ease of movement, height adjustment and great back support. I would not be without my clearance room office chair from Staples ($29, originally $99). Also you might find one at yard/estate sales. Best of luck in your hunt!!

I have two sewing machine stations in my craft room: one station has a rolling armless chair and the other has a dining room straight back upholstered chair that is no longer used in the dining room. After using both chairs, I have now have the dining chair up against the wall with the plastic bin holding the pieces of fabric from my latest project.
    I move my rolling chair back and forth instead. Only wished I had hardwood floors in this former bedroom.

Rolling chair pros: adjustable height when working at different sewing tables, back support, lightweight,
    The con's : rolling on carpet.

Dining Chair pros: looks nice with sewing room furniture and armoire
    The con's: the seat height is the seat height, no adjusting, difficult to turn to grab a tool, need to pick up to move it, and no true back support

bottom line: go with the rolling chair.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie C View Post
    May I suggest you try your local craigslist or perhaps a warehouse sale with office furniture? Try out all you can find in your price range. Best chairs to sew have NO ARMS for ease of movement, height adjustment and great back support. I would not be without my clearance room office chair from Staples ($29, originally $99). Also you might find one at yard/estate sales. Best of luck in your hunt!!
    There's no local Craigslist here or any warehouse stores but I'm about to look at staples right now.

Rolling chair quilters:

I like them too but the threads get caught in the chair rollers. Then it is lay the chair down on the floor, find my pointy tweezers and my very sharp, scalpel-like de-threader and go to town. Growling and snarling. The cutting and tweezing helps but it is a long, arduous project.

I have tried to avoid getting the threads caught; but, ....

There has got to be a better way. Help?!

Thanks in advance from the thread wad queen.

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You can get a "secretary's" chair which doesn't have arms at all. Why pay for something that you don't need? I love my office chair & it's lumbar support feature. Folding chairs aren't tall enough for me, either. I got my chair at Staples years ago. I don't have a problem with thread in the wheels.
    Kathy

I bought three different rolling chairs and never liked any of them. I sit on a wooden stool to sew, not real comfortable but the best I have found yet. I get up and move often. Sitting too long at a time encourages blood clots to form in the legs. I stand as much as I can. Always stand to press and cut.
    I use a folding chair with a thick tie on cushion, easier to stretch my legs out when I use my home computer.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I just use the chair at my dining table. Someday I'll get an ergonomic chair specially designed for me :-)

The only time I don't want a rolling chair is when I'm using a treadle machine....rolling backwards isn't good.
    Sharon

Rolling. I've been using my kitchen table for a couple weeks now while I move things around and even though it's hard flooring, I hate my kitchen chairs when I'm sewing. I like being able to swivel around and such as needed. I didn't realize I moved around so much while sewing until now.

I found a great adjustable chair with a "tractor" seat at Target awhile back.
    google for one. Fits the toosh great as it is contoured just for that.

rolling chair with a high back to rest my neck
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Blog Entries
    I bought a rolling stool with tractor seat from WalMart. I can push it up under a table & out of the way. If I had it to do over I'd get a rolling stool with padded seat like they have in my doctor's office. The tractor seat tends to scoot backwards because it's made of plastic when I try to sit. I have to hold it steady to avoid a fall in the floor until I'm seated.
    TwandasMom

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast