Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sewing room redo

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by HollyDav View Post
    You have such a beautiful room! My sewing room is the dining room table. However, my daughter is moving out this weekend and I have big plans for her room! Thanks for the inspiration :-)
    My sewing was done on the kitchen table for years then I moved up to the dining room table for many more years. This is my first sewing room in over 50 years of sewing. When my children were young I don't think we ever ate a meal without the sewing machine on the table.

Enjoy yourself.

Your son did a great job!
    Donna

Your son is smiling at me. He wants to come to my house!

Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post
    Your son is smiling at me. He wants to come to my house!
    Arkansas is a pretty long walk from Tampa. He has no car or job. So... if you want him I'm sure you can make arrangements.

Great set-up and even better Son and Grandson! I am drooling over your Horizon! Do you love it?

Quote Originally Posted by CAS49OR View Post
    Wow, really nice! and, he's smiling while he's working! Can I ask what kind of shelf and how he mounted it under the machine for support, and also what type saw and blade he used to cut the hole out? I want to do the same type of thing with a kitchen counter I have built into my sewing room. I love the idea of rolling the other table behind for more support! I don't have room for anything like that. He did a wonderful job on the floor too, just beautiful!
    Each table is 30" x 48". He bought a 1" x 12" x 48" board at home depot. It is mounted under the side aprons of the table with wood screws. The dimensions were perfect for my application. He put the sewing machine on the table where I wanted it an drew a line around it. He cut the hole by drilling a hole in the corner and using a jig saw. He allowed an extra 2 " on the right side or the machine for reaching the cord and other things. My Horizon came with an acrylic table for use when quilting. I had an old foam kitchen mat and we cut that and put it on the shelf under the machine. Brought the machine up to a perfect height and quiets some of the vibrations and noise. The acrylic table sits on the table top and rests on the machine mounts. He doesn't know it yet BUT we forgot to allow for me to access the free arm so we have to cut out a couple more inches.

I had thought about a counter top but wanted more depth. Let me know how yours works out.
    Marbeth

Quote Originally Posted by SandScraps View Post
    Doesn't your son want to do an African tour? It is summer here now! Enjoy the 'new' room.
    My son would LOVE an African tour. He spent 4 months walking the Danube in Germany last year .

Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc View Post
    Oh, I wanted to comment on the paintings. They are lovely!! I like the clothesline especially. Did you paint them yourself?
    ]

My dad is the artist. I posted about them on here.

looks great...thanks for pics and instructions.
    May Everyone have a Blessed and Bountiful 2012..Teresa

I love your beautiful new tables! You're so lucky to have such a son!
    Rilène

Wonderful son to support you great pictures Thanks

I love your set up, but I am very impressed that your son did this for you.

Thank you for all the great information Marbeth, we still haven't done mine. Now I'm trying to decide how to do it and still be able to reinsert the cut out counter, since I use the same space for my other machines. Maybe your son knows what blade size is good for the JigSaw so it doesn't splinter the formica or wood in a typical old kitchen counter?
    :-)
    CAS

Quote Originally Posted by CAS49OR View Post
    Thank you for all the great information Marbeth, we still haven't done mine. Now I'm trying to decide how to do it and still be able to reinsert the cut out counter, since I use the same space for my other machines. Maybe your son knows what blade size is good for the JigSaw so it doesn't splinter the formica or wood in a typical old kitchen counter?
    We are going to put 4 small pieces of wood that are attached with screws and are turnable at the edge of the opening under the table top. When you want the flat table, turn the wood and put the cut out piece back in. Do this before you put the shelf on (we didn't and now either have to take it apart or do circus contortions to get in there. I'll ask him about the blade size next time I see him. I let him look at at the responses we've gotten to his work. It really pleased him that so many people admired his work. Thanks.

How cool. My son is still a youngster, so I doubt I would get anything this nicely done. However, I am definitely wanting to go to IKEA now.
    MistyMarie

First I have to say - wow! You have a fabulous son & grandson. My husband is not handy at all and my kids are too young to be right now lo.

I have a question.. in the pictures there is a pinkish spool of thread under the sewing table... what is that for? I can't imagine why there would be thread under unless it is some sort of bobbin thread contraption that I think I really need to find out about lol.

If I don't take to frame quilting this year then I'll be pretty much doing the same thing - cutting a table so I can put my big machine in for quilting on a table top... or making some sort of table thingy to go around it. I'm hoping to make friends with the quilting frame in January once we move

Quote Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric View Post
    First I have to say - wow! You have a fabulous son & grandson. My husband is not handy at all and my kids are too young to be right now lo.

I have a question.. in the pictures there is a pinkish spool of thread under the sewing table... what is that for? I can't imagine why there would be thread under unless it is some sort of bobbin thread contraption that I think I really need to find out about lol.

If I don't take to frame quilting this year then I'll be pretty much doing the same thing - cutting a table so I can put my big machine in for quilting on a table top... or making some sort of table thingy to go around it. I'm hoping to make friends with the quilting frame in January once we move
    The 'pink thingy' is a swimming pool noodle. I cut one to go over my knee lifter on my Horizon--different pressure on my leg. I had to look at the picture to know what you referred to. LOL. Marbeth

I had not idea what it was. All I could think was that it was some thread - but why would it be down there.... now it makes sense lol. I can see how that would make a huge difference!

Oh, that's so nice!

Someone loves you a lot! He did a great job and you have a wonderful place to create. You must feel like he's giving you a big hug everytime you go into your studio.....it
    is really special.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey1 View Post
    Someone loves you a lot! He did a great job and you have a wonderful place to create. You must feel like he's giving you a big hug everytime you go into your studio.....it
    is really special.
    You got it! He is a very special son--grandson too. He is very good to me. I was a single mom when he was young. I do not like height. When he was 8 I sent him up to clean the gutters. "Don't worry honey, mommy is right here holding the ladder." He is not afraid to tackle any job before him and still cleans the gutters.

I love the sewing table.. Iam gonna show my husband and ask him if he can build one for me.

The table was not hard to put together. It comes with everything necessary to assemble it. Just need a screwdriver. The hole took a drill, saw and sander. the shelf was precut at Home Depot and put on with screws. Good luck.

Smack dab between Dallas and Tyler, Texas
    Great guns that's nice. What cleverness your son has shown. Great inspiration. Thanks for posting.
    Enjoy the day, Chickadee_42us

Thanks Grammy, the turning wood blocks is a great idea, I'm going to show hubby these ideas to get him motivated!
    :-)
    CAS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast