Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Sewing table - ideal hight >

Sewing table - ideal hight

Sewing table - ideal hight

Old 03-06-2014, 10:47 PM

I think it's really important to experiment with the heights you use. I hunch if I use a machine that's shorter (like a featherweight) even if my elbows are at 90 degrees. I cut way higher than most people say you should, but I can go at least a half day without pain, even with 2 bulged disks in my back. Use 2x4s to raise tables and such to see if you want it higher and give it a good test, not 5 mins and decide no. To "lower" for testing, I leave my table at its default height and raise my chair and put my pedal on a raised block or something. I wrote about some of the ergonomics here: http://www.archaicarcane.com/high-en...r-sewing-room/ - There's cutting table stuff below the LA stuff. One thing I said in the post and something I will always stand by is "Your tools must conform to your needs, not the other way around."
Old 03-07-2014, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by fireworkslover View Post
I heard that your elbows should be bent at a 90 degree angle when sewing. If standing when cutting, table should be higher than when you are sitting at it and cutting or working at it when sitting. One needs an adjustable chair for sure. It all depends on how tall you are.
Silly me, I said 45', 90' is correct.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

I only stand to cut or iron. I would like to teach myself to stand also. Don't want to move a machine to do it.
I have a fold up table from Joanns and it is the right height for me. I'm 5'-7".
Old 04-08-2014, 07:37 AM

I just raised my sewing desk to the height of my cutting table. That's up 7" from what it was. Because the machine is recessed, it's probably just below standing height. I use the same chair now for cutting, sewing and quilting - a saddle stool. I've only had about 30 minutes of sewing at the desk, but so far I love it. I raised it by using some of the stacking wood stab jack thingies we use for our trailer. Will try to post a pic later if anyone's confused by my extremely excellent description or wants to see them anyway.