Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Share your best organizing tip!

I bought 2 base kitchen cabinets that had 8 drawers each for flat storage. They hold all my rulers (except for 1 really long one), all my cutting mats, needles, Sizzix dies, thread, cutting tools, and a LOT of other stuff. I labeled each drawer. I put a 3/4" melamine board on top for a cutting table. I anchored furniture moving dollies (4 casters on each, 2 dollies under each cabinet) under them so it's movable. The whole thing is a little over 26" x 65". I love it!

I take my container of needles & pins to the pharmacy and they dump it in with their medical waste. Last time I did this, they didn’t understand (or I didn’t explain enough) and threw my whole container away ! I insisted on getting my container back so they had to fish it out. Mine is the perfect size and I don’t wish to use the big honking thing they wanted me to replace it with so I’ll be certain to explain.

Quote Originally Posted by tranum View Post
    I take my container of needles & pins to the pharmacy and they dump it in with their medical waste. Last time I did this, they didn’t understand (or I didn’t explain enough) and threw my whole container away ! I insisted on getting my container back so they had to fish it out. Mine is the perfect size and I don’t wish to use the big honking thing they wanted me to replace it with so I’ll be certain to explain.
    I reuse perscription pill bottles to put dull needles in. I write on the lid "dull needles." I have an endless supply...

Where do you buy Sew Stack Tool Trays?

Blog Entries
    Nancy notions

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post
    I reuse perscription pill bottles to put dull needles in. I write on the lid "dull needles." I have an endless supply...
    I do this too, but use a hammer and nail to put a small hole in the lid...saves me from opening the lid and when full I toss. I do use used needles as picture hangers and small quilt hangers. They make a small hole and the bigger shank is stronger that most nails.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Jecreed View Post
    Where do you buy Sew Stack Tool Trays?
    Amazon. and, here's a list of online stores from Google: (scroll down past Amazon)

https://www.google.com/search?q=Sew+...nt=firefox-b-1

Quote Originally Posted by sillysusan View Post
    get lots of boxes, bins, bags and dump all your stash in to them... Any which way, any size and any color. It doesn't work! I'm in a real mess!
    roflol!!!!!!

OH my goodness, what a great idea! I'm using an old laundry pod container now, but it is really too big.
    I'm definitely doing this!

There are some really good ideas here! Love the idea of the parmesan container for used needles and rotary cutters. I'm always fearful when I just toss them in the trash. I have one that is about empty, guess what I'll be using it for!

For me, I use old CD racks to hold my fat quarters. Yes, they are exposed and not put away, but I do use them quickly so there is no fading and little to no dust. I like being able to see my small gems out in plain site. It makes the sewing room bright and cheerful, and also gives me ideas while working on a current project.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, wisdom and funny comments too!

Jump in with both feet. Organize and purge. Dust and clean. Then close the door of the sewing room and never go back in again. That's the only way I can keep neat and organized - just don't accomplish anything! If I'm not armpit deep in fabrics and notions, I'm not feeling the creativity. Seriously though, I try to put away my tools and scraps to some degree, before I turn off the sewing machine light for the day.

Ha! Isn't that true?

I'm almost finished with complete overhaul of my space. The things I've done that I love (I had help from someone who had great ideas):
    1. I hung two pegboards. One for all my rulers, one for other tools (rotary cutter, scissors, little baskets to put things in). All of this was available at hardware store and it's inexpensive and easy to install.

2. My husband hung long rows of shelves. The kind with the metal bars (they're called standards) hung on the wall. Then you place the brackets at the heights where you want your shelves. Then simply put the shelves on the brackets. Relatively easy to install and it has given me TONS of storage for my fabric. Then I folded my fabric all the same width so it's stacked neatly on the shelves.

3. I bought some fabric boxes on-line to put current projects in. Some projects needed two boxes. Then I hung little tags on each box so I know which box has which project without pulling each box down. The boxes with lids were too expensive so I folded poster board and made my own lids, covering them with contact paper. It's cute, was inexpensive and my project shelves look neat and tidy.

I like keeping all the little things on one tray

I try to keep quilt and project patterns sorted by season, size, or subject. If I want to make something for the Christmas Boutique, I don't have to search through baby quilts!
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

I'm coming at this string a few months late. Today I did a "tidy up, so organizing is on my mind. Fifteen years or so ago, I invested in a rolling toolbox, the kind guys use in the garage, and which you purchase a big box hardware stores. Best thing I ever did.

My husband added a vertical pole (see the wooden stick) that has hooks for my rulers, and at the top (you can't see it in the photo) is mounted a perpendicular rod that holds hangers. The kind you can get in the laundry section of home stores. He also added a channel on the bottom of the back panel of the cart for holding my cutting mats, which are secured to the back with rare earth magnets to keep them from warping. And this cart is easily movable if you need to move it.

It was an idea that has stood the test of time. Thought I'd share.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by heron; 09-01-2018 at 02:49 PM.

Love your cart but I am curious about the large white "thing" hanging on the pole with your rulers. May I ask, "What is it and how is it used?" Thank you.

Blog Entries
    I had a tool box bigger than that one. I had to get rid of it as I couldn’t use it in my house. Gave it to my son in law

Love your red tool chest. Looks like you have your organizing all squared away. I like the painting, too, on your wall.

Quote Originally Posted by JanieH View Post
    Love your cart but I am curious about the large white "thing" hanging on the pole with your rulers. May I ask, "What is it and how is it used?" Thank you.
    It's a "Designing Stylus" from Sure-Fit Designs. I bought their kit on making shirt patterns, and it references the stylus. Basically it includes a traditional hip curve plus crotch curves.

Quote Originally Posted by heron View Post
    It's a "Designing Stylus" from Sure-Fit Designs. I bought their kit on making shirt patterns, and it references the stylus. Basically it includes a traditional hip curve plus crotch curves.
    Thanks for the information. I can see it now after reading the explanation. Just looking at it I thought, slipper pattern for Big Foot. Knew that probably was wrong.

my best organizing tip is......once a quilt has been quilted.......after squaring up the quilt......dispense with the trimmed off stuff immediately. The batting that is large enough to use is put with the batting, fabric is put on the table until the binding is done. Any batting smaller than 5" square is cut into scraps and goes immediately into the "dog bed" sack. Any fabric smaller than 2" square is cut into scraps and goes into the "dog bed" sack. Then.....I have a clean cutting table to continue making the binding and finishing the quilt.

This just helps me keep the "unusable" stuff in its place. Once those dog bed sacks are full....I use my ready-made dog bed "pillow" and stuff it. I always try to have a dog-bed ready for stuffing. Then, it's a process.....stuff the dog bed, finish the seam, walk it to the pet store that accepts animal rescue beds.....and more stuff out of my sewing room!

I guess the streamlined hint is - dispense with the scraps as soon as you are finished with one project.

I purchased that creative grids scrap crazy 6 template ruler someone has in another post. I'm really excited for that...because then, I can cut my scrap fabric using that ruler and put them away. It will be here next week!

I have several machines and I have to keep all theaccessories straight. I use plastic pencil boxes to store the accessories for each machine. I labeleach box with machine manufacturer and model number. Theseboxes are the perfect size for my bobbin holders, Bobbin Storage Tunnels. I also labeled the cords for all my machines. I put a piece of velco oneach cord and write the name of the manufacturer and model number on each pieceof velco and leave that on the cord.

Great tips, everybody!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast