Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Slick surface for FMQ

  1. #1
    DJ
    DJ is online now
    Super Member DJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    4,046

    Slick surface for FMQ

    I just got a new Horn sewing cabinet and am loving it! DH helped me cover the top with some marble-look vinyl which is quite a bit smoother than the surface of the cabinet. I'm thinking it will help a lot when I go to FMQ without having to use other methods. I'm not sure how durable it will be, as it's only shelf paper, but it will peel right off. If I find it damages too easily, I will see if I can get some heavier-duty vinyl; or go back to the drawing board. We got it at Lowe's, and it cost under $7, so no big expense if it doesn't work out.

    Since the picture was taken, we have covered the other two surfaces.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Moderator QuiltnNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
    Posts
    48,097
    Blog Entries
    53
    a nice set up
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

  3. #3
    Super Member sash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,481
    I hope it doesn't damage cabinet surface and hope it works for you, but I could never do that to my beautiful Horn.

  4. #4
    Power Poster dunster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Posts
    13,596
    I love the way you've used that storage under the Horn, and the way you lined the front of the drawers. I would love to do that with my cabinet, but the back is against the wall. Now I'm going to think about how I might rearrange things....

  5. #5
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    35,124
    ​Nice set up!

  6. #6
    DJ
    DJ is online now
    Super Member DJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    4,046
    Quote Originally Posted by sash View Post
    I hope it doesn't damage cabinet surface and hope it works for you, but I could never do that to my beautiful Horn.
    We tested it before applying it to be sure it would remove without damaging the original surface. I personally like the look better, so if it provides the smooth surface for FMQ and doesn't get damaged too easily, I think I'm going to love it. The jury is still out.

    Just thought I'd post the idea here to see what others think. Thanks for your input.

  7. #7
    DJ
    DJ is online now
    Super Member DJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    4,046
    Quote Originally Posted by sash View Post
    I hope it doesn't damage cabinet surface and hope it works for you, but I could never do that to my beautiful Horn.
    We tested it before applying it to be sure it would remove without damaging the original surface. I personally like the look better; so if it provides the smooth surface for FMQ and doesn't get damaged too easily, I think I'm going to love it. The jury is still out.

  8. #8
    DJ
    DJ is online now
    Super Member DJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    4,046
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I love the way you've used that storage under the Horn, and the way you lined the front of the drawers. I would love to do that with my cabinet, but the back is against the wall. Now I'm going to think about how I might rearrange things....
    I didn't think I was going to have room to leave the large leaf open, but we moved a book-case-divider over a few inches and schmoozed it in. Hope you can get a different arrangement with yours. Sometimes taking a different look at the space helps a lot.

    A friend of mine has a similar cabinet and was complaining that it took up so much room when she wanted it to double as a guest room. I suggested that she turn it 90 degrees so that she could put the leaf down when she had guests. She had never thought about that, and when she did, she loved it. Just a different set of eyes sometimes!

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,309
    Makes me think about my arrangement perhaps I could do the 90 degree thing too!!! Thank you for the inspiration!!!

  10. #10
    Super Member jmoore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Boothbay Maine
    Posts
    7,826
    Blog Entries
    2
    I hope you have great success with your new cabinet and marble-like surface. Your sewing area looks neat and tidy.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

  11. #11
    Super Member SusieQOH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    8,843
    That looks wonderful !!!

  12. #12
    Power Poster dunster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Posts
    13,596
    I just rotated my cabinet 90 degrees, moved some other things around, and I think I'm going to like it this way. It's now easier to reach things in my bookcases, and the room seems a little more spacious. I don't have storage containers that fit so nicely under the back of the cabinet, so I'm not using that space as efficiently as you are, but I think this may work out anyway. Thanks for the suggestion!

  13. #13
    Super Member lawsonmugs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    7,965
    I just was thinking to protect the stick down topping you could go to a store like Wal-Mart and buy some clear plastic sheeting. It is crystal clear and comes in wide widths about 5 ft. and different thickness. You can use it for sliding around your quilts. It is very slick. I am going to make my top cover with it.
    Mary

  14. #14
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,320
    I purchased heavy duty vinyl at WM to use and it worked wonderfully.

  15. #15
    Power Poster Jingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Outside St. Louis
    Posts
    33,986
    Great ideas here. More heads are better than one.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

  16. #16
    Super Member Charleen DiSante's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    central NC
    Posts
    1,108
    Quote Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
    I purchased heavy duty vinyl at WM to use and it worked wonderfully.
    Great idea! How did you get it to stick to the table?
    Charlie DiSante

  17. #17
    DJ
    DJ is online now
    Super Member DJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    4,046
    Quote Originally Posted by lawsonmugs View Post
    I just was thinking to protect the stick down topping you could go to a store like Wal-Mart and buy some clear plastic sheeting. It is crystal clear and comes in wide widths about 5 ft. and different thickness. You can use it for sliding around your quilts. It is very slick. I am going to make my top cover with it.
    My idea with the vinyl is that it provides the slick surface without adding anything else. So far I've been careful with it, and it's holding up well. I've spent a lot of time in the studio the last couple of days, so it's getting a workout.

  18. #18
    DJ
    DJ is online now
    Super Member DJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    4,046
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I just rotated my cabinet 90 degrees, moved some other things around, and I think I'm going to like it this way. It's now easier to reach things in my bookcases, and the room seems a little more spacious. I don't have storage containers that fit so nicely under the back of the cabinet, so I'm not using that space as efficiently as you are, but I think this may work out anyway. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Glad to hear it's working for you. I got the plastic 2 drawer sets from Target for only $20 each, so $60 investment. Not too much for some great storage. Still, I realize that some people are on a tighter budget.

  19. #19
    DJ
    DJ is online now
    Super Member DJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    4,046
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    I hope you have great success with your new cabinet and marble-like surface. Your sewing area looks neat and tidy.
    I didn't show the other side of the room. LOL It kind of exploded! It's in better shape at the moment, but has some craftermath since I spent a lot of time there yesterday!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.