Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Storage and a Sloping Ceiling

Storage and a Sloping Ceiling

My sewing workspace is up in a loft of our cabin. The loft space is hard working and also acts as an office and spare bedroom for guests...not to mention the abode for Mr. Bondo, the cat. Because of the wide dormer windows up there, the ceiling along the wall is sloped, so the storage space there goes from only 2.5 ft. high, to about 7 ft. high. I keep my quilting and craft supplies along this wall in stackable, plastic bins, which works fine, but I can't hide it in any way and frankly, I think that it looks ugly, IMHO. So, I've been pondering what to do about that.

My newest idea is to make "curtains" out of canvas, drop cloths that are 4 ft. X 12 ft. (Cheap! $8.00 each.) Because the ceiling is sloped, I can't really use curtain rods, so I'm opting for putting in 1" grommets along the top line of the curtains that will allow me to hook the fabric on the wall. When I need to get to something out of the space, all I have to do is unhook an upper corner and then hook it back when I'm done. I'm thinking of lining the drop cloths with some pretty quilting fabric. Wadda ya think? Do you have anything to add?

Thanks,
    ~ C

I have rods that you put rings with clips on and I mounted the rod to the ceiling. They way they mount, they can go on the wall, ceiling or sloped ceiling (the other side of this room is sloped)

This is not the best picture, but the only one I already have uploaded to photobucket. There are three brackets (mounted where the ceiling joists are) so I can't slide the curtains all the way to one end, but I can slide them enough to get at what I need to get. Eventually I'm going to make quilted panels instead of using old curtains.

Last edited by Macybaby; 06-19-2017 at 11:04 AM.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Blog Entries
    sounds like a great idea
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I'm wiping the drool off my chin over all your gorgeous fabric.

Cathy,

Is this the same space that you were renovating a couple of years ago? (I remember that your hubby was buiding you a space out of an old outbuilding...I think.) anyway, it looks fabulous!

~ C

My ceiling is much more sloped than that. I would say, at a 45 degree angle. Curtain rods just won't work. I'd be fighting to keep the closed all the time.

Power Poster
    If you don't have a design wall, I might cover the bins with the drop clothes and put flannel on the back for sticking up blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    If you don't have a design wall, I might cover the bins with the drop clothes and put flannel on the back for sticking up blocks.
    Ooooohhh...good idea! Another clever way to make use of a miniscule amount of space. Thanks!

~ C

Found this at Bed Bath and Beyond. Looks like the wall attachment is round so is shouldn't fall out. The curtains would hang from the clips.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...tegoryId=12201
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by SuziSew View Post
    Found this at Bed Bath and Beyond. Looks like the wall attachment is round so is shouldn't fall out. The curtains would hang from the clips.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...tegoryId=12201
    That would probably work Suzi. I've used that type of bracket and it goes around the rod so could be mounted at any angle with the rod thru the hole.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    You just gave me a great idea. I have some fabric bins that aren't the greatest color. My mind moved from mini design wallls on the side that shows(when they are in a cubby) to making twelve by twelve blocks for those ends to spruce them up. Thanks!

We have a small wall with double doors.

https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictur...rs-t66107.html

I also have some short book cases now against the wall where there are no doors.
    Last edited by Annaquilts; 06-20-2017 at 03:20 AM.
    Anna Quilts

Quote Originally Posted by tropit View Post
    Ooooohhh...good idea! Another clever way to make use of a miniscule amount of space. Thanks!

~ C
    I thought of something in the middle of the night...I can't flip these panels to display the flannel because the top line is angled. However, I COULD put the pretty flannel on the outside and the canvas on the inside. I love this idea!

~ C

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
    We have a small wall with double doors.

https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictur...rs-t66107.html

I also have some short book cases now against the wall where there are no doors.
    That's a wonderful room! I would love to build that section of wall in and have wooden doors. However, my husband has enough to do right now and I don't think that it will ever happen...not in this lifetime. ;-)

~C

I started out with open book cases and some of my fabric faded from the sun. I had to throw a bunch away. Also, I used to smoke and the color from the smoke didn't wash out. I wasted a lot of batting and fabric. Now, I don't smoke and have doors on my fabric storage. Works much better. You mentioned tall windows, so fading could be a problem. I saw a posting where she used PVC pipe for rods on a curved wall, but I don't remember where I saw it. Sorry. The idea of lining with flannel for a display wall is a good one.
    Sue

The house I grew up in was built in 1923 and 2 of the bedrooms had sloping ceilings. In the front bedroom the previous owner made that wall a closet. (Wish I had pictures to share - but we no longer own the house.) The closet was the full length of the wall - and was so long and the ceiling was low - there was one small door at one end, so my dad put in sliding doors in the middle along with a couple of lights.

A couple years ago I was watching one of those shows that renovated what they called wasted space. They did about the same thing my dad did, but they put in shelving too.

That looks great. Good solution.

I like your idea and I think it would work great.

I hear you about your hubby having no time. I think in that case I would go for running a rod, electrical metal pipes and put curtains on it. KInd of a fake wall. I might else even consider card board that I would put up with bins behind it. I would store my fabric organized in large plastic bins and pull them out as needed. Seeing all the stuff would drive me crazy. We live in socal, low humidity, but all my fabric has done really well in plastic bins.
    Anna Quilts