Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Storing Folded Fabric Question >

Storing Folded Fabric Question

Storing Folded Fabric Question

Old 10-16-2014, 06:04 PM
Power Poster

Try to avoid exposure to light - to avoid fading on the crease lines.
I cover the stacks on the bed with a sheet.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:48 PM

I keep smaller cuts of fabric and fat quarters in plastic boxes on shelves on the wall so they are up off the floor. Larger cuts of fabric are on hangers in the closet since I have a dedicated sewing room with a large closet.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by NewNonni View Post
Thank you all for the great advice and for the information on the tutorials. I will for sure check them out. I had totally forgotten that the cardboard used by some of you is from comic books. Can I just go to a comic book store and ask for it? I will try the ruler method many of you have mentioned. Thanks again!!!! This board is the greatest!
If you live in a large enough city, they may have enough to sell to you. I ordered mine from Amazon. as I do not live near anything.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:14 PM

Alaskasunshine's, is the method I have been using since she posted her tutorial, a works very well for me. I have IKEAs 16 cube bookshelf. I have 2 pull out plastic drawers for misc and a fabric cube for scraps and the rest is used for the folded fabric easy to see what I am looking for. I have a quilt top hanging over the open end, to prevent sunlight and dust from getting in. When I want in I just flip it up.

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 10-18-2014, 11:51 AM

I like to hang a roll up blind over the front of the shelves. It is covered with flannel and is also a design wall.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:14 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Originally Posted by NewNonni View Post
Thank you all for the great advice and for the information on the tutorials. I will for sure check them out. I had totally forgotten that the cardboard used by some of you is from comic books. Can I just go to a comic book store and ask for it? I will try the ruler method many of you have mentioned. Thanks again!!!! This board is the greatest!
Yes, just go to the comic book supplies store (if you have one) or on line. They come in different sizes, and different brands have different dimensions. Try to get the 8 1/2 x 11 for longer pieces. The guy at the comic book store here said they sell more for fabric storage than comic book storage.

Last edited by Krisb; 10-19-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:24 AM

Not that I'm this organized...or ever will be, but I found this very interesting: http://www.incolororder.com/2011/01/...g-folding.html
Old 10-19-2014, 01:29 PM

DUST isn't so much a worry as light should be. Light will fade and ruin your fabric. Make sure it's kept out of the light and make that a priority. I've inherited so much fabric from quilters that has been damaged by the sun.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:26 AM

I have fabric stored in several places. For 2 or less yards I have an over the door shoe caddy that I roll pieces up and put can put several pieces in each pocket. Use this for things I want quick access to. I have three large milk crate type crates that are stackable and the bottom one has rollers. This is in the corner next to my book shelves and I toss a sheet over the top to protect from dust.

I have some nice boxes that I got frrom work when I worked in a commercial kitchen. to lock shut. They have a lid that folds over and tabs that go in slots I keep special fabrics or projects in thses, use marker on the outside and stack on shelves.

I have a roll around fabric laundry sorter with three bins. I put fabric for a currenr project quilt in it. I can sort the fabrics that go together for the blocks and back. I can be rolled to where I am working. Or I can put back fabric that hasn't been cut yet for that project and know where it is. I keep a basket by my recliner with ziploc bags with cut pieces in. Different bag for each fabric . I keep another bag with the thread for the project in the basket
Old 10-20-2014, 09:08 AM

I found the comic book boards to be rather flimsy and difficult to put in and take out. They are expensive, too!