Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Using over-the-door shoe bag organizers >

Using over-the-door shoe bag organizers

Using over-the-door shoe bag organizers

Old 01-14-2019, 07:35 PM

Default Using over-the-door shoe bag organizers

We recently moved so I am discovering quilting items I don't remember seeing, let alone purchasing. Things that were hidden in the deep recesses of closets! A 24-slot over-the-door shoe bag organizer is an example. I would like to make the best use of all the pockets. Do any of you store anything other than the obvious (rotary cutters, scissors) in them? Thanks all!
Old 01-14-2019, 07:43 PM

I put charm packs and fat quarters along with odds and ends you mentioned.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:58 AM

I have one and use it for small items; lace pieces, bias tape, twill tape, mending tape, labels, etc. I find it very handy because this is the kind of stuff that won't stay organized in drawers. Mine is canvas. I have seen some that are vinyl and clear.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:30 AM

When my sister was getting ready to move into a new house with her then beau, she was destashing her coat closet. She had gloves, hats, scarves all matching as she had been working but recently retired. I got a bunch of them but no where to store them so I got one of those clear pocket shoe racks and hung it up in my closet to put all those gloves into. The scarves went into a plastic drawer up on the shelf. Not quilt related but just how I used the shoe rack. Mine had grommets to attach to the wall though, not a over the door style.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:08 AM

I have clear pockets over every door and I use them every one. It is so easy to see items in the clear pockets.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:13 AM

I have one I keep embroidery stabilizers in.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
I have one and use it for small items; lace pieces, bias tape, twill tape, mending tape, labels, etc. I find it very handy because this is the kind of stuff that won't stay organized in drawers. Mine is canvas. I have seen some that are vinyl and clear.
I have a smaller one I use for these same things. I also have 2 larger ones. I use one for storing the fabrics I recover from recycling clothes from the thrift stores. I roll the fabric sections together and put an elastic around it to hold it in a roll. Most of the elastic I use is recycled from the waists of pants and skirts. The third one I use for bundles of scraps that go together until I find a pattern to use them in. For example brights, stripes, and multicolor prints that don't easily go into a container sorted by color. Two are on the backs of doors and the last one is on my pegboard.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:53 AM

I use mine to hold the large cones of thread for my long arm and some tools such as the bobbin tension gauge. The door is right next to my machine so very handy.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:41 PM

I love, love, love the over- the-door pockets. I put stray fat quarters, notions of all kinds, plus quilt coupons and varied quilt-related paper goods like greeting cards, notepads and post cards.

I also found a larger over the door storage with only 7 compartments. It was advertised to store purses or large children toys. I found it perfect for fabric yardage or quilt kits. These over-the-door compartments sure expand storage for me.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:49 PM

I think if you leave some empty, they’ll fill up before you know it !