Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What do you use to carry notions to retreats or sewing sessions?

What do you use to carry notions to retreats or sewing sessions?

I go once a month to sew at someone's house for QOV. I was able to find a Singer Featherweight, so I take that to sew on. I have a rolling tote for that and it's got a little room for the notions. Right now, I just toss the scissors, thread, extra needles, wound bobbins, etc. into a plastic box and put that in the rolling tote. But, there are some lovely ladies that have "cool" notions holders.....fabric "purses" that look like cosmetic bags sewn together to make compartments, cute little tins, etc. I'm just wondering ...for those who take their stuff to sew someplace else.......what do you use? I like to repurpose and don't like to spend lots of money (like to spend on fabric!). So, just looking for ideas. Everyone else seems so organized! Last time, I forgot to put in my seam ripper! Another time, I forgot to put in pins! So, just thought I'd see what you use and how you like it!

We also take food to share, so by the time I carry everything in.....I've made 3 trips! Help!?!

Thanks!

I have a rolling tote. I also have doubles of notions that I keep in a hard plastic container. This is the way I don't forget the " little things" I will need. This works for me.
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

Power Poster
    I tend to toss things into a zip lock bag and hope I remembered everything.

I use an old Caboodle make up case left over from my DD's teen years. I have an old train case women use to take on trips and it is really nice for notions. Something that is easy to carry is the key.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I would either purchase duplicates to keep in your tote or make a list of what's needed and keep it in the tote so you know you have everything you need each time.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    several years ago I made this. It zips shut and the pocket inside velcros shut. It is about 9x4"
    Name:  sewing notions caddy with embroidered rotary cutter.bmp
Views: 1263
Size:  1.24 MB
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    I have a rolling tote that carries my sewing machine, extension chord and presser foot in the main compartment. I have a small sewing kit that has needles, seam ripper, threads, scissors, rotary cutter, thread clippers, needle threader, small rulers, extra blades, pins and pincushion, small iron and cutting/pressing mat. I am sure there are other things in there that I cannot think of right now. I try to have anything I might need with me when I go out. The small sewing kit goes in one of the larger pockets on my rolling tote and the cutting/pressing mat it bungee corded to the handles. Some times I feel like a 'one man band' when I am taking my sewing out. Of course I have a carry tote bag with my materials or what ever project I am working on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    several years ago I made this. It zips shut and the pocket inside velcros shut. It is about 9x4"
    Name:  sewing notions caddy with embroidered rotary cutter.bmp
Views: 1263
Size:  1.24 MB
    how cute is that!!
    dare to dream

I have a mid-sized Longaburger basket, think it was called a market basket. I keep it constantly supplied with those tools commonly needed. Everything from scissors to needles to thread to 6.5 square template. After a couple of trips outside my quilting room, I was pretty confident that I would have all that I needed. It stays packed and ready to go. This also keeps my little "tools" from hiding under projects and getting "lost" in my quilting room.

Some of my quilting friends use pencil boxes, good time to get them right now, or they use other plastic storage boxes.

Blog Entries
    It's so easy to forget something. The idea of duplicate items is most appealing.

Reminds me of my Mom who had duplicate everything in her camping trailer. Just wash it and leave it in the trailer. So when Dad said let's go camping, Mom was always ready.

I have duplicates of everything in my rolling tote, even and older cutting mat because that is what I seem to forget the most. I keep everything in a recycled swiffer wet pad container with a rubber band around it. Everything but the rotary cutter and supplies. I keep those in a zippered pillowcase bag.

Look online for the Bionic Bag - it holds a Lot of stuff. And if you keep spare set of everything in it, you can just grab it with your sewing machine, and you're ready to go sew!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-26-2019 at 07:39 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

"By Annie" has a bunch of patterns to make different notion carriers. Really cute stuff and wonderful directions.

Yes, you can make your own organizers for sewing stuff with patterns from ByAnnie. Her bags are great!

https://www.byannie.com/patterns/lets-get-organized

I've made several of her bags. The "Catch All Caddy" is my favorite for carrying supplies.

Name:  IMG_4591.JPG
Views: 952
Size:  228.5 KB

Name:  IMG_4594.JPG
Views: 949
Size:  243.9 KB
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thank you everyone for all the great ideas! Love that rotary cutter bag.....so cute. I also love the swiffer refill container idea. You all got me thinking it may be time for me to plunge into making something that will work for me. Thanks for the bionic bag suggestion and the "By Annie" option. I may just have to browse the internet today! Thanks!

I have duplicates of most of my sewing notions and basic rulers that stay packed in the case for classes and retreats. I keep the travel case and class machine in rolling tote in the foyer closet so it's ready to go as I go out the front door. All I have to do is toss the fabric needed in a bag. I never have to spend time packing sewing items. I go to a lot of classes and retreats and it's a waste of time to have to pack each time.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

It's quite a task to pack for class. It usually takes 3 trips to load up everything. LOL!

I use a double-sided tackle box. It sits next to my machine at home. It travels easily with the locked tabs. I like to see the items and not have to check pockets here and there. This always has bobbins ready, marker, tweezers, small scissors and packs of needles. The bottom layer holds the ruffler foot, q-tips, tapes, and threads.

The only items not in the box are the rotary cutter, mats, or rulers. Those go into the large tote bag.

Power Poster
    Be sure to mark your items so that they can be easily identified - - -

I use a rolling tote for machine and lamps.But have a toe bag made to slide over the handle of the rolling tote. It hold project and notions box. All duplicates of my sewing room. The cushion for my chair slides over handle and then the bag. One trip and I am ready to roll
    I have seen a hardware store suitcase that had a million pockets and she loaded it up with her entire sewing space. Too much work for me. I like grab and go.
    Each project adds to my stash of knowledge. Love sharing the results with anyone who'll look.

Bionic gear bag
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

I use a toolbox as it has storage below and a sectioned part on top.

I had this all figured out but it took 2 people to lift it into the car. So I started collecting for weight and size. Sewing machine under 15 pounds. Cutting mat folds in 1/2 so it fits into a smaller tote. A towel for iron mat and small iron. A seat pad ( the towel and seat pad cushion my machine). Electrical cords. Small trash/pin cushion with only 3 tools (scissors, seam ripper & awl). I'm always the hottest person in the room so I always have a fan. It all fits into an office file on wheels that folds up.

Usually I just need to add fabric, tread and 1 template

Name:  Zippered Sewing-Quilting Bag - Updated 2015.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  143.0 KBHere is a bag I made has a pocket on the front of the zippered bag, so I can carry my folding ruler, pattern, and small mini coin purse with drivers licence ,etc. This hold everything from my rotary cutter, to my medication, pens, pencils, rulers, rotary blades, etc....
    Quilting People are the Best, Have a great sewing day!
    DonnaJ

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I use an old Caboodle make up case left over from my DD's teen years. I have an old train case women use to take on trips and it is really nice for notions. Something that is easy to carry is the key.
    Good idea! I had forgotten all about those crazy cases. Both my daughters had them in their teen years. The years, the teens and the Caboodles are long gone now. One has teens of her own, but not Caboodles.

I keep my take along iron in a metal bucket. It protects it and I don't have to wait for cool down to put it up and it has a handle. I found having a handle on anything is so much better. I found a mat carrier years ago and it's been a great tool. The mat slips in the wooden slot and stays there until released. It has a handle. I can carry my biggest mat with ease. The name of it is Mat Holder. That's all it had on the package.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast