Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what I've learned

what I've learned

These are some things I've learned in my project of organizing my quilting/sewing space:
    -when buying storage containers, if you think you need 5, you'll need 15 - same with shelves/brackets
    -space is conserved if all containers are of the same size or multiple containers of each graduated size
    -consider the depth of shelf boards as well as the brackets on which they are held when figuring spacing
    -a neater effect is achieved by getting same size/style containers
    -containers on sale might be a good deal, but might be a waste in the long run if they break easily
    -organize from the bottom up, not top down, for ease of installing shelves at the proper height
    -when possible, buy containers that don't have wide tops; too much space wasted between
    -label all containers w/labels that can be removed when contents change
    -fabric that is wrapped on upright small/mini bolts is easier to see than fabric that is folded & stacked
    -prioritize the contents of containers, keeping the most frequently used in the most accessible position
    -don't stack containers of often used materials
    -see-through containers are most effective, and when labeled
    -shelves that are 20" deep can be used to store totes, but are too deep for fabrics
    johans, Michigan's UP, Hiawatha National Forest West

Thanks so much for the info, I'm building a house with a new studio so I will have this info on hand.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Thank you. I am redoing my sewing room and will remember all your tips.

Thanks for the tips! I diff agree about not buying containers based on price, been there, done that. You don't have to go out and buy the most expensive, but real thin ones will crack or break so they cost more in the long run.
    Country 1

Thanks for all the tips

Lots of good tips.

Great tips, thank you so mcuh.

Blog Entries
    i e-mailed that to myself...thanks for the great advice.....hope to use it soon

Good tips. I have my fabrics in baskets on shelves my brother put up for me. He used the wire shelving and brackets. And it wasn't a good idea. I am going to take all my fabric, well most, umm maybe just some , and wrap it on the comic book boards put it in my bookshelves and put the books in the closet. I have my design board in from of the book shelves so it will keep the fabric from the sun. I wonder when or if I will ever get things really done and stop moving stuff around. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by damaquilts View Post
    Good tips. I have my fabrics in baskets on shelves my brother put up for me. He used the wire shelving and brackets. And it wasn't a good idea. I am going to take all my fabric, well most, umm maybe just some , and wrap it on the comic book boards put it in my bookshelves and put the books in the closet. I have my design board in from of the book shelves so it will keep the fabric from the sun. I wonder when or if I will ever get things really done and stop moving stuff around. LOL
    I have wire shelving in my closet - just laid a piece of the foam board over the shelf and the shelves worked fine. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by flybreit View Post
    I have wire shelving in my closet - just laid a piece of the foam board over the shelf and the shelves worked fine. Good luck!
    The shelving works fine its the brackets that get in the way. He used big ones. My darling brother is the type of person that thinks everything should be able to support 500 lbs or more. LOL you should see the screws and shields he used to hang my thread racks. ! The house may blow down but those thread racks will still be attached.

Blog Entries
    Wow, great tips for organizing in this thread.

I am so thankful for your post. We are putting in shelves this weekend. One of my big concerns was the brackets, another is how far apart to put the shelves. The ones I a plan to use are wire mesh 8' x 16" deep. Now I am wondering if a wooden shelf would serve better. Especially if I want to store fabric wrapped around the foam boards.
    I will have three shelves 8' long. I'm wondering how much space do you have between the shelves?
    Thanks again.
    Why sleep when you can quilt.
    Luckydenny

I have learned these same tips; I am "reorganizing"may last organization project. Last time I ended up in two rooms. My goal is one room. I can't find anything!
    Carol

These are my shelves. As you can see the brackets take up a lot of room. I lose at least another basket height because of them.
    I would use solid boards if I were to use the comic books boards. Saves putting something on the wire shelves to keep them from falling through.
    Attached Images Attached Images

oh and if I had my choice I would have different or no doors on the closets. The sliding doors make it difficult to use some of the space.

I am in the process of moving my sewing room to my third floor, so these are great tips!!! Thanks
    Remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,

but by the moments that take our breath away.

Blog Entries
    For those of you with wire shelves (like me) there is a clear liner made just for the purpose of keeping things from falling thru. I've used it in my closet where I store my sewing notebooks. I've also used plain cardboard pieces that comes in shipping boxes...don't even have to cut it!

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the information... I am in the process of reorganizing my sewing room now... this will be helpful...

Blog Entries
    Sounds like the voice of experience.

I'm getting ready to redo my room/cave/dungeon. I never gave half your tips a thought, especially the one about the containers being straight sided. Thank you!
    This thread should be pinned.

Thank you for the GREAT advice!!! When can you come to New York to help me organize my sewing room?!?!?!?!

You covered, everything!!!!! I made the mistake of buying 18" depth shelving. I have gone from solid tubs to clear or colored opique containers(some do take up space/lids) I would love to use fabric boards!!!! But I can't afford to buy new shelving!! Tinker

Thanks for the tips!
    Penny
    Country 1

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tinker View Post
    You covered, everything!!!!! I made the mistake of buying 18" depth shelving. I have gone from solid tubs to clear or colored opique containers(some do take up space/lids) I would love to use fabric boards!!!! But I can't afford to buy new shelving!! Tinker
    I would get small containers that you can store things in that you don't use all the time, but need a place to store and put those containers in first then the fabric. You can have a container about 9-10 " wide in there and still have room for your fabrics if you want them on the comic boards. Even storing longer boxes if they are the same width. Just make sure you make a note somewhere what is stored behind there so you can find it if needed. I find that is easier for me, then everything is in my room, might have to do some moving to get at it once in a while, but I find never get rid of anything because that is for sure when you are going to need it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast