Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What are we organizing today (2017)?

Blog Entries
    ptf...I think you are on a roll....have a good time with your QBuddy!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Ta-da! Mission Accomplished. I got my sewing/guest room company ready by 6:30 last night.
    What. a. relief. but.what. a. chore!

Overnight company (my hubby's brother) arrived at 7:30.
    Said he slept well (11 pm -9 am, I'd say so!) .

(Scroll up if you missed the "before" and "progress" pictures.)

Cleared off this piece of furniture, except for decor and lamp.
    I keep my self-kitted items here. My design wall works well on the
    floor because I can easily move it to my sewing machine or prop a couple
    of the boards side-by-side in front of the closet for a larger quilt layout.

Got my scraps tidied up in their shoeboxes, the bookcase they're on cleared off, the cutting table reasonably
    clear (good enough), and the junk underneath it cleared out or put into the closet if I'm keeping it.
    Having junk behind closed doors works so much better on my sanity! So yes, I cheated somewhat and didn't deal with every piddly thing.

My most cherished items in this room have nothing to do with sewing, actually.
    One is that painting by my dad, and the other is called "My Father's Legacy" which has his writings on various topics from his childhood, dating my mom, his career, his ministry, his ongoing love with my mom for decades, his love for us kids, his hobbies, his words of wisdom.

If nothing else, cleaning this room up was good for my soul. I had dreaded it, but the reward of seeing it better organized and dusted and vacuumed all on the same day is indescribable. Might not happen till the next solar eclipse, but it's done.

Wow! that looks fantastic, Zozee.

I spent the day organizing the shed that is on our wrap around porch---took everything out, put huge amount of stuff on the cement pad next to the alley for alley-shoppers to pick through and then put the remaining stuff back in. Now you can actually walk into the shed and find stuff. Only problem is I found what looks to be a frayed electrical wire---Yikes! no using the outlets in the shed or on the back porch until the electrician can get here to check them out--glad I found it before burning down my 100+ year old wooden house....

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s

Your finding the frayed wire was a lucky break - hopefully you can get it fixed quickly!

Your finding the frayed wire was a lucky break - hopefully you can get it fixed quickly! There IS a reason we do things!

Blog Entries
    Score a great one for zozee!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Wow, zozee, great job! Think of how satisfying it will be to get back in there to sew. It is a lovely space. I love your long legged birds on your design wall, too. Did you use the insulation boards for your designing wall?
    rryder, lucky break to find the wire. Your work was rewarded just by that alone.
    We are doing our own version of stuff and hide tomorrow before we have company on Saturday for a week. This makes me a little crazy because it feels like one step forward, a jillion steps back. But once they leave, I will truly dedicate a good chunk of time to reorganizing. I promise.

PS I love the shelf with your Dad's painting and memory book, zozee.

Thanks, everyone.

Lots2do, the design board is indeed insulation boards I had cut to the size that works for the space IF I were to put them up . But as it stands, I like the portability of them.Aren't the birds adorable ? They're addictive, too. Like Girl Scout Thin Mints, where you say "I'll just eat two," but before you know it, the whole sleeve is gone

Okay, so I left you seeing a tidy sewing room. But I didn't dare show you the monster behind closed doors. It feeds on craft supplies, UFOs, wire hangers, gift bags/tissue/tags, and greeting cards (keepsakes as well as blank new ones).

My closet looked like this last Wednesday:

Name:  IMG_2106.JPG
Views: 218
Size:  112.4 KBName:  IMG_2105.JPG
Views: 221
Size:  105.7 KB

Zozee, you are too funny! How come your closet looks exactly like mine???

I cleared it all in a half hour, wiped down the shelves, and enlisted my hubby's help for the high places I can't reach.
    (He wanted to know why I felt compelled to clean out this closet when there are plenty of other places around here that need help. I said ya gotta start somewhere, and besides, I had the AmVets coming in two days to pick up donations.)

Name:  IMG_2118.JPG
Views: 218
Size:  78.4 KB

Oh no, now it doesn't look like mine

Name:  IMG_2120.JPG
Views: 215
Size:  91.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_2119.JPG
Views: 220
Size:  34.5 KB

Whether I would decide to face it forward or turn it, there'd be a label to read at a glance. No more guesswork.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't know why that last closet picture shows up. I deleted it in editing, but when I posted, it shows up. Oh well.

Not worth getting my panties in a wad over.

So.... label, label, label, toss, toss, toss, donate, donate, donate. Pictures, pictures, pictures.

Name:  IMG_2122.JPG
Views: 264
Size:  122.4 KBName:  IMG_2123.JPG
Views: 259
Size:  136.3 KBName:  IMG_2124.JPG
Views: 264
Size:  124.4 KB

Wonderful !!! I love donating. It makes me feel happy inside and it also gives me room to breathe!

Name:  IMG_2121.JPG
Views: 261
Size:  124.2 KB

And now the monster has been tamed. He has only wooden skirt hangers to munch on--all the ugly wire ones are gone.

He can munch on fabric if he can get the labeled drawers open. He isn't interested in the tissue paper and bags now that they're consolidated all into one polka dotted bag. The monster will wait for me to use my paints, drawing pads, and canvases again, but if it doesn't happen by this time next year, that menu option will be history.

I can breathe now. The closet doesn't scare me. Nothing will avalanche on me when I open the doors. I can see what I have and it's not in there unless I want it. 95 percent of the rest has been dealt with. Feels good. My monster feels deprived, but so what? He feasted long enough on my indecision.

zozee, that is an amazing transformation. And the clothespins holding the tags on the bins is simple but purely genius. I can do that, too.
    I am hoping to work on my space this afternoon. I wanted to yesterday and started but then an urgent errand with the hubby developed and before I knew it, seven hours had gone by. At least, I squeezed a little fabric shopping into the day.

Today, the fabric lined up on the LA table went into the stash shelves. Now the LA is available for use. Need to quilt.

zozee you are a GREAT inspiration! You make me "almost" want to tackle my own closets! QUITE a feat! LOL

Thank you, Red and Lots. It was past time, and I am determined to defeather my nest because it's simply choking the joy out of me to see all we've accumulated that's taking up precious real estate for no good reason. I've also been helping my sisters go through my mom's things and she was a saver . A very organized saver, a very clean saver, but a saver nonetheless. I was already on a decluttering mission at my house in January. When she passed, my dad was the one who initiated the go-ahead for their house. So now I'm kind of doing both houses as the mood strikes, but mine's easier because I get to make the majority of decisions for what stays and what goes.

zozee, I'm sorry for the loss of your mom. I am sure that is a lot to deal with doing two houses at once. But at least you are making Huge strides, and for that.....you should be beaming!

Thanks, Red. That's very kind of you. My dad is very easy to work with, not demanding, able to make decisions, not critical, neither too quick nor too slow to respond to suggestions, and super expressive of his gratitude for every little thing we do for him. If he weren't any of those, I'd be very hesitant to make progress over there.

Blog Entries
    Oh my Zo...you are in inspiration. Thanks for sharing your progress.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast