Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: What are we organizing today (2017)?

Blog Entries
    I started cleaning up my sewing room yesterday. I just recently picked up a 10 drawer plastic cabinet and I need to put things that are piled up on the other end of my sewing table in it. After finishing up one baby quilt this last week and cutting out another yesterday, I need more space! I work full time so, with that being said, maybe when I get home this evening I can start organizing that little cabinet! Happy Monday everyone!
    Jeananne

I'm working in my spare bedroom which, unfortunately, was becoming a sewing room annex. I don't want that much stuff. One room is enough to try to clean when the mood strikes! I want to redecorate the spare bedroom but must thoroughly declutter it first, not just move piles.

Needed my 15 minute timer to get me going.

My goal in 2017 is to get rid of 2017 things (not my idea, but borrowed from an online cleaning guru) .

I was at about 250 as of March 1, then sprained my ankle. Nothing got tossed for a few weeks after that (except some good attitudes--haha). I'm pretty much healed up now, and I've added 44 more things, so at 294, I'm back at it.

I can do this. I .can.do.this!

Wow, zozee, that is quite a goal. I think I'd need to take baby steps. Good luck!

Unpacked 14 boxes in the garage -- 10 of them were fabric and sewing notions. Fortunately, all the fabric fit in the sewing room. Still haven't found the box with my Aurifil thread and my large Superior cones. I also cleaned off and moved my kitchen cart out of the sewing room and back to the kitchen so I have room to move around (for some reason, every time I cleaned off the cart I would start organizing fabric and the cart started getting piled on again .
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Wow! Zozee and Quilting Lady, after reading your posts my task doesn't seem quite so daunting.

I took everything out of the closet and set aside three boxes of stuff to rehome. That left me with space in my drawer units to put things that I actually need. and I was also able to get space on some shelving for my jewelry display fixtures and the table cloths that I use to cover my tables when doing craft fairs. Although, it's possible I may be able to get rid of a number of these things as well since I stopped doing most craft fairs 5 years ago LOL.

I was was also able to free up some space in the milk crates that my drawer units sit on top of, so now some of the older small encaustic panels and small canvases that haven't sold now have a home that's out of the way of my work space YAY!

only problem with all this organizing is I immediately covered my cutting table with the taken apart neckties and interfacing I'm using to make a tuffet---- it actually looks worse than before ---probably because I didn't finish putting things away in that nicely organized space but instead got distracted by the reminder that I need to get the sewing done on that tuffet before April 27 when I am scheduled to complete the actual upholstery of the thing

However, I am determined to persevere and once the neckties are ironed, interfaced and cut to the appropriate size I can clean up that mess, actually have places to put the leftover useable bits, and can finish putting away the stuff that now has room in the closet!

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s

Phew! I'm exhausted thinking of all that cleaning.

I went to IKEA got some Kallax units and reorganised sewing space as I was drowning in the mess. I have a tiny room about 9'6" by 8'6" and needed to maximise space. I also have a wine fridge I need to accommodate lol. Sewing room is upstairs in small spare room, the larger one is to the back of the house and dies not have as good light. I gave mobility issues so apart from wine in fridge, I keep my surplies if diet juice and chocolate in it.

Blog Entries
    I got rid of a big computer desk and set my two machines so I can turn from front to back if I want. I will have to see if my pics show up
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I still have my sewing trailer set up to finish this summer. This last winter has been a long long winter. In January I was able to leave the farm 2 times the whole month as I was snowed in. 10
    ft snow banks

Amyjo that's a nice setup. Thanks for sharing I might try to do that with my machines. I hope spring has come there for you.
    Erin

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Amy Love your Fold 'N' Stitch. Love the colors.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyjo View Post
    I got rid of a big computer desk and set my two machines so I can turn from front to back if I want. I will have to see if my pics show up

I was planning to move a few shelving units in my sewing area after I saw a nice way of storing my longer dies. However, I wasn't planning on figuring out where to put my new sewing/embroidery machine! Lol!

Here is where I am with my rearranging-the super messy stage!

Connie

P.S. I already changed my mind a few times where to store my long dies and the funny part is that there wasn't anything wrong with where they were stored before. . Just a whim to change things up.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 223
Size:  108.8 KB

Good luck. I'm sure you'll figure it soon, as organized as you are. I can't tell you how many times I've to change things up on a whim, too) only to end up putting things back where they were because that WAS the best place! Lol

Blog Entries
    After reorganizing I often can't find a thing, but must get my mess straightened up as I still can't find a thing....
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Zozee: I am afraid I may have gone through all of this work and will put some of it back where it was to begin with also! Lol!

Oksewglad: I need to update my 'location' map once I get the area fairly clean. Hopefully, I can find the map folder!

It took me quite a while to figure out where I wanted my new machine and where I wanted the back up one. Fortunately, a sister-in-law said something about needing to decide to fix or replace her machine so my previous back up machine and a cabinet that works ok with it are going to her house soon.

Connie

Blog Entries
    I had to change my machines around. To use the embroidery module I had to have more room. So I turned them this afternoon and we tried out the machine. My daughter wants to make a quilt for their school to raffle off for the sports dept.

Blog Entries
    Oh Connie...great analogy...good thing I read maps well...but finding the map may take some time....
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

I wasn't planning to sort through these fabrics after church but it's done. I will eventually add them to their color tub and the finished blocks and squares will be added to their 'size' drawer.

Here is a partial picture:

Connie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Looks like your route took you on a detour.....
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Blog Entries
    Hope you start working on them. I am also in the Tucson area! I will help if I can
    Patski
    always learning

I joined the 2017 birthday candy exchange on this board this year. My birthday was in April, so now I am in the middle of trying to process and separate 1500+ 2.5" candies by major color.

I'm about 2/3 done, but that is just the first pass. Once that is done I will do a second pass of "blues into greens" so the squares go from blue, blues to greens, green, green into yellow...yellow....you get the idea.

Lots of putzyness (yes that is my new word for the day), but it's been fun.

Still not sure how to store them yet, but at least they are getting taken care of on a high level, anyway.

jrk
    Quote Originally Posted by jrk View Post
    [
    Lots of putzyness (yes that is my new word for the day), but it's been fun.
    I think you mean the word futzy. Putz means something entirely different.

futz, to fiddle around, to putter around (American Jewish, possibly derivated from Yiddish 'arumfartsen')
    Last edited by jrk; 04-20-2017 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrk View Post
    I think you mean the word futzy. Putz means something entirely different.

futz, to fiddle around, to putter around (American Jewish, possibly derivated from Yiddish 'arumfartsen')

Two posts to your name and you're pointing things out. Nice.

Oh well...I like the word putzy....I've been asked if I was Jewish in the past, which I'm not, but since it is my word today....I'm running with it! LOL

Also spent some time today going over a pile on my work desk which hasn't been touched in some time. Feels good to get things taken care of!

Quote Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
    Two posts to your name and you're pointing things out. Nice.

Oh well...I like the word putzy....I've been asked if I was Jewish in the past, which I'm not, but since it is my word today....I'm running with it! LOL

Also spent some time today going over a pile on my work desk which hasn't been touched in some time. Feels good to get things taken care of!
    I'm about as Jewy as they get (and proud of it) and I can tell you that the two words have become interchangeable. You can putz around just as you can futz around and it means the same thing.

Our new poster may be objecting because putz originally referred to the male anatomy and was considered a VERY nasty word which you wouldn't utter in polite company. If you did have the chutzpah to use it, it wouldn't be very mensch-like!

However, it has come to have the same basic meaning as futz, especially when used to indicate you are fiddling around. I would still refrain from calling someone a putz, unless they really deserve it!

I often putz around my quilt studio, especially when trying to organize it.

Blog Entries
    Well one learns something new everyday...this Midwesterner of Swedish Lutheran and German Catholic heritage putzs around not knowing the word derivation and yes redstillettos you have been putzing around......
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast