Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today 2020 >

What are we organizing today 2020

What are we organizing today 2020

Old 04-10-2020, 05:16 AM

I’m over my head in organizing but it’s photos & family records, not fabric. You should see my sun room - but I think I turned the corner with it last night so I can hopefully wind that project up. Photos, obituaries & clippings from back as far as great grandparents have landed with me.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:18 PM

tranum: What an undertaking but good for you for getting them organized. I have been planning on doing my photos for years. I start and stop and then forget how I was organizing. Lol! First thing I need to do is make a list of how I’m organizing and write down certain things that I want to go into the boxes of my sons. That will be next Monday’s plan.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:22 AM

My two main hobbies are quilting & scrapbooking. About 10 years when I started scrapbooking I was all gun-ho & I think I burnt myself out but I still have so many photos I really would to organize and get into scrapbooks...I really need to find my mojo for scrapbooking again. Like you, I start organizing then life gets in the way and I lose interest. Good for you that you are tackling the project.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:25 AM

Hmm, I seem to have lost some momentum lately. However, as of today I am going to go back to spending 15 minutes each day decluttering some small area. It doesn't matter whether I: a. find homes for things and put them away, b. toss them, c. put them in the donations box, or d. seal them up in a box that I will date and then toss if it's not opened in 1 year's time.

Anyone else who has lost momentum, post here and make a suggestion as to what could be done to get back to organizing.

Some suggestions that have worked for me in the past are:
1. pick just one small thing to organize- a corner, a drawer, etc.
2. spend just 15 minutes decluttering one area.
3. find 5 books to donate

Rob
Old 04-21-2020, 05:24 PM

I made it through one tub of photos/memorabilia for son #1 last week.(41) Now I am working on another tub but this one has things for son #2. (37) I am trying to do 30 minutes at a time and usually go longer than that amount. I can't believe how much I saved for them. Unfortunately, I am not throwing much away but I am sorting by years into a file system I had for them when they were younger. I do not know how many more boxes I have for each of them but it's a start. I enjoy looking through the memories.

I have been sorting through some fabric too but I enjoy sewing more than sorting. LOL!

Rob: Your point 'd' reminded me that I have a box of plastic container parts(think Tupperware, Ziploc,etc) that I think have April as their throw date if I didn't find lids, etc, for them. I believe I got that idea from you last year.

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 04-21-2020 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:56 PM

Not much organizing going on at my house....I am playing in my yard and planting my barren planter boxes...so, in a way, I'm organizing where new plant life goes, I guess. Having fun but my body hurts...lol..
Old 04-21-2020, 06:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
Not much organizing going on at my house....I am playing in my yard and planting my barren planter boxes...so, in a way, I'm organizing where new plant life goes, I guess. Having fun but my body hurts...lol..
A hot bath and ibuprofen does wonders...ask me how I know! Drawing hot water now!
Old 04-22-2020, 02:54 AM

Thanks Rob, just the reminder I need to get my momentum going for organizing...15 minutes is probably all I can handle at one time. Currently our 3 and 5 yr old grandsons plus DDIL are living with us so it is a bit of a challenge to work on big projects. Our son is in the Coast Guard and the family is being transferred from Key West to Main this summer but due to the Coronavirus, DIL and boys came early to look for a home. It has been a nice distraction to have them at our house...they are so much fun.
Old 04-22-2020, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

Enjoy those 2 little ones and yes they present a challenge, but that's okay...it's once in a lifetime.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:22 PM

For getting back to organizing. I tell myself, "don't feel like it, what else can I do, ooo heck-I think I'll read a book (or take a nap)" are not acceptable excuses. I talk to myself saying, "how long would this take, are you willing to put in 1/2 hour?" Usually by the time I finish, I feel so good by what I accomplished that I often take on another 30 min project.

I've been looking around. I'm getting buried in finished comfort quilts and pillow cases. Want to be able to take them to the leader, but shelter-in-place keeps all this at my house. Also, I need more batting from her to contine finishing.