Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today 2020 >

What are we organizing today 2020

What are we organizing today 2020

Old 08-10-2020, 08:08 PM

I finally finished sorting the donation bags of fabric. I was surprised to find 70 FQs of quilting cotton along with some fat eighths.
I ironed, trimmed/cut, and put everything away by size. There was a lot of fabric in the 2 grocery bags.

Now where, or where, will I store all of it? Lol! At least, it’s all in containers so I can stack them.

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 08-10-2020 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:05 AM

Organizing but not fabric. Yesterday I was planning my grocery shopping list and could not find a spice, I knew I had but it was hiding in a mess of little jars. So, I pulled out the tray I use for storing my spices and began to organize. Found two jars of ground nutmeg that I use a lot of (combined them). Three little jars of ground mustard what was I thinking, (combined two). Dill that was ancient and I will never use, (trashed). And Ta-Da I found the paprika I was looking for. End, I got my spices in order, and saved myself the money I would have used to buy a second jar of paprika. No, I do not organize alphabetically. I organize by purpose: baking, seasoning/cooking and flavoring (sub group within baking).

Wish organizing my fabric was this easy!
Old 08-12-2020, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

Hoping to see some "planned" grocery bag quiits RT! Isn't it a good feeling just to see what's all in those mystery bags?

WMUT--spice drawer is always a challenge! I organize spices like you, too.

Have overnight guests...so Fr toast, bacon, with pineapple juice is on the menu. And I need to get to work.....

Old 08-12-2020, 06:43 AM

I organize my spices and seasonings like you do WMUTeach and so often I get to the grocery store and think "do I have this at home?" So I am doubled up on a lot of things. It is a good idea to check your pantry before going shopping I guess. It could save a person a lot of money!!
Old 08-13-2020, 11:27 AM

Spice/herb organizing. This baffles some of my friends. I have a 4 row spice rack that gets higher going back. It spans a double door cupboard. It's alphabetical. Then there's a shelf at the top with large jars-they don't fit on the rack. They're random. Then there's a few that don't fit anywhere else and used lots. There are some spices rarely used, I've thought to trash, but then think if it's trashed, then I'd want it. If I buy a new spice and need a spot, then something get's trashed. India, Persia & Armenia spices are so nice, just started using some of them. Oh, forgot the bagged chilis, they're in the pantry.

Then there's baking: flavorings-liquid. There isn't a spice I use exclusively for baking. And since I can't have sugar, I do very little baking.

Old 08-13-2020, 06:30 PM
Power Poster

The start to tomato season here in the Midwest. A canner of stewed tomatoes done and one of tomato Veggie juice ready to be processed. More later in the week.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:34 AM

I’m organizing my jewelry making supplies this weekend. I didn’t intend to do this right now, because I'm also participating in the VQW by quilting a large UFO. But, I needed to make some more earrings and bracelets for a local gallery and when I started looking through my supplies so I could make some during breaks from quilting, I realized that they were a jumbled mess and strewn throughout the studio in various storage units. So I’ve pulled everything out and am making earrings and bracelets in between organizing. And quilting in dribs and drabs.

Rob
Old 08-16-2020, 06:43 AM

I have decided to start saving my scraps as I purchased an Accuquilt but the scraps are already getting out of hand. I have a cloth bin I usually just throw my scraps in & then mail off to whoever wants them. Also decided to purge the kitchen cabinets as there is a lot we just don't use anymore now that we are older & just don't host that many family gatherings anymore. Sooooo which room to start in lol
Old 08-16-2020, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by craftiladi View Post
Also decided to purge the kitchen cabinets as there is a lot we just don't use anymore now that we are older & just don't host that many family gatherings anymore. Sooooo which room to start in lol
My problem is when the "horde" returns for a long visit, I need the larger bowls and pots and extra plates/silverware for meals. Once in a while use paper when they come , but still like to eat off of real plates. Also take out is a limited option as we are 10 miles from anywhere. I want my kids to come visit
Old 08-20-2020, 04:42 PM

I’m still organizing scraps. I’m on my last large bin of scraps and hope to finish tomorrow or Saturday. I need to tell myself to never, ever, just throw scraps into a tub and when it overflows, toss it into a bigger one. Grrrr! I continue to sort by color but am pulling out the strips and squares to sort later.

Eventually, I will need to start using the color sorted fabric. Lol!