Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today 2021 >

What are we organizing today 2021

What are we organizing today 2021

Old 02-20-2021, 08:40 PM

Lol...hilarious, craftiladi... give it time....you’ll fill it up...
Old 02-20-2021, 09:23 PM
Power Poster

Oh what a good laugh, craftiladi!
And I need it as we buried my quilt buddy's spouse today. He saw the humor in life, too.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:16 AM

and...I have a Rubbermaid 3 drawer storage unit and can't get to it cuz it's stuck in a corner surrounded by stuff. Maybe on a rainy day I work my way over to it. (I live in a desert. It rarely rains!)
Old 02-21-2021, 03:54 AM

Oksewglad- I’m sorry to hear about your friend’s husband.

Rob
Old 02-21-2021, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
.....we buried my quilt buddy's spouse today. He saw the humor in life, too.
Sorry for your friend’s loss...it sounds like he was someone who enjoyed life.

Since it seems to be National Embroidery month or at least for Bernina, I have been watching machine embroidery videos and have decided to get my embroidery module out of the box and create a better storage solution so that it doesn’t seem like such a chore to dig it out to use it. The Emb module was a bonus when I purchased my 770 about 3 or 4 years ago and I’ve only plugged it in once. I’ve seen some great ideas online.

Old 02-21-2021, 06:44 PM

Oksewglad: Sending a virtual hug.

Old 02-22-2021, 04:50 AM

I spent yesterday working on my scraps. I went through my scrap drawers that hold scraps smaller than a fat quarter. I used to sort them by “precut” sizes and then within those sizes by value. But several years ago I decided to start sorting them by color and they took up 8 shallow drawers. I also stopped cutting them up and was just putting the uncut colors in the drawers with the cut ones. The drawers were stuffed full with a combination of stacks of precuts and folded uncut pieces and I had decided that I didn't like having the smaller uncut pieces in the same drawers as the precut pieces. In fact, I do a better job keeping up with scraps if I cut them up into the sizes I use most often and store them by size rather than color. So I’ve been wanting to reorganize those drawers.

Anyway, Since I started doing the Debbie Brown QAL I’ve used up a bunch of my “precuts” and needed to cut some more for the March quilt.

One thing led to another, and rather than just pulling fabrics out and cutting 2.5” squares for that quilt, I decided that might as well cut the rest into the largest size “precut” I can get out of each. So I sorted them into piles. Now I have a bunch of piles on my cutting table and it looks like a hot mess. However, Once they’re cut to the sizes I like to useI will be able to consolidate them into 6 drawers based on size not color. That gives me two more shallow drawers that I can use to make homes for the things that currently live on whatever horizontal surface is available! I’ll work on the cutting over the next couple of days as I get time.

Rob
Old 02-22-2021, 05:18 AM

Wow Rob, it sounds like a monumental task but it will be so worth the outcome and nice that it gives you a bit more storage apace. I also need to do some more cutting for the March Debbie Brown project. I skipped February’s project...
Old 02-22-2021, 07:43 AM

So Rob, your project begs the question. Once you have your "hot mess" cut into usable sizes, will you stack the "new cute cuts" into nice piles in drawers or toss them in with reckless abandon? (Wanna bet he tosses them in and makes drawers full of cute hot messes.)

My cutting table is dual purpose. Cutting and storing piles of fabric, new quilt books, but never never laundry that needs to be folded!!
Old 02-22-2021, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for your kind words. Now to help my QBuddy get through the grieving process.

We all know quilting is therapy, right? I am pleased to say the star quilt is nearing completion.So as I sew with the small pieces on this and the 9P quilt (over half of them are sewn) I am sorting 2" sizes. I will need 4 of a kind light squares for a future project..119 sets. Already have almost 50 sets paired up! Will cut additional ones from 2" scrap strips. Also from the 2" bin will I will cut HST's like sets of 4 (111 of them). The quilt also has 4P's (444) that are set on point and will need setting triangles for the 4P's, but they will come from larger squares. If this boggles the mind a bit, I am biting the bullet and getting ready to start an Oh My Gosh quilt. It is something I have admired for a long time and plan to make it scrappy of course!