Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are We Organizing Today 2024 >

What are We Organizing Today 2024

What are We Organizing Today 2024

Old 03-30-2024, 12:43 PM

It has taken me a lot more time getting organized in the new house than I would have thought. It took months to find a contractor to build the closets I wanted and then some more time for him to have an opening to do it.

We/I finally figured out a shelving unit size and dimensions and I'm happily putting my totes on the shelves and in the closet and starting to feel better about things. Unfortunately, in the packing phase I topped off some totes with fabric that would fit and need to clean them out and organize a bit better, but I am finally able to find stuff again. I know I had a huge stash before and I moved a lot of fabric so I still do, but I'm going from a room full to a closet full and I did a lot of reducing.

Not ready to post pictures, need to organize my brain a bit first -- this is about the 30th post I've tried to start but this one I'm going to finish -- so yay me!
Old 03-30-2024, 04:28 PM

Good for your Ice B! Progress is progress no matter how long it takes.

Julie, did you get your give away table bags back to the give away table?

I am a long way from being as neat and tidy as I would like but I am making an effort every evening to put away my tools before I turn off the light. If I put them away, I can't lose them as easily. I also try and mostly succeed. to put away fabric each evening that I have rejected from one project or another as I audition possibilities for blocks. (Making Boom Blocks for the Spring Boom exchange.) It gives me great satisfaction to clear the detritus from my work space most evenings and leave only tomorrow's work prepped and neatly waiting for me. I just choose not to look behind me at the UFO's or WIPs lurking in the background.

For me it is not the big sorting any more, it is the continual cleaning up that I need to move from "intention" to "habit".

Old 03-31-2024, 03:46 AM

IceB, so glad you finally have the closet, one step closer. I also moved into a new house this summer, I put the quilting studio together and I function in it, but I am now ready to rearrange it a bit after working on the space and figuring out a better layout.
I can very much relate to the finding stuff again feeling from the move, I'm still finding stuff in totes I forgot I packed there. I also stuffed items randomly in totes where there was space.....all quilt related, but still. I get it. I look at it this way, it's all here, and everything will eventually show up and be in it's place.
Old 04-18-2024, 05:57 AM

I was feeling like a bit of a slug today. so I cleaned out one of my computer folders labeled "Someday Quilts". Now that was more than just large laugh! I deleted all of the photos of quilts that caught my eye but I would never in a kabillion years make. Just being honest with myself here. Then I moved all of the like quilt photos into usable sub folders: baby quilts, 2.5's, 12" blocks and so on. Amazing how many duplicates I found that had caught my eye simply because of color choices. Feels good to clean up and now the "Someday Quilts" file is usable. Still way more that I can use in my life time if I don't get out of the slug mode but lots of ideas ready to turn into Project Linus quilts, baby quilts or ideas for gifting. Yea!

Another slug day....I will move on to another folder, "Misc. to Make You Smile". That needs a good clean out too.
Old 04-18-2024, 07:00 AM

I do this every January I've added the subfile border treatments, after wondering what the heck I'd saved some of them for.
Bookmarks are another good cleanout job.
Old 04-18-2024, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
I do this every January I've added the subfile border treatments, after wondering what the heck I'd saved some of them for.
Bookmarks are another good cleanout job.
You bet'cha. I did those in January this year as well as deleting all of the email websites and "subscriptions to newsletters" that I never view. So many sites now require you to signed up just to get a free pattern that they clutter up my email inbox. I keep a few because they proved to have value to me.
Old 04-19-2024, 04:06 AM

I love the idea of cleaning out and organizing my ideas folders! I finally got a handle on my 5 million emails by eliminating old ones and reviewing/deleting daily.
Old 04-19-2024, 04:20 AM

I kept hearing voices when I went into a storeroom that used to be a bedroom. Yes, my quilting "stuff" took over another room. I finally figured out that the noises were from kits I made up a year ago. So looked inside and found so many WIPS. Looked at each freezer baag kit and decided which ones were doable...meaning get them done in the next two months..or donate to quilt guild.

Have a container of "why did I buy this" fabric tdhat's being donated, tdoo.

I'm steppilng away from my PL meetings but will continue to sew for them. Have a personal goal to have15 quilts to donate in 3 mondths. I think it's doable since I normally hand in 4 quilts every month. Have to get back to the machine. Bye for now.
Old 04-19-2024, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Julienm1 View Post

I'm steppilng away from my PL meetings but will continue to sew for them. Have a personal goal to have15 quilts to donate in 3 mondths. I think it's doable since I normally hand in 4 quilts every month. Have to get back to the machine. Bye for now.
WOW! that is a lot of quilts. Do you make any other quilts along the way? The only time I was that proficient was during the first year of COVID when I did one a week! But, I was driven, ferociously driven, to get rid of some of my stash. Can't seem to find that drive again. Oh, well, I will stand on the sidelines and cheer you on! Whoo Hoo to you.
Old 04-20-2024, 02:04 AM

Teach, I know it sounds like a lot of quilts and it is BUT I was gifted a lot of great fabric. Running out of rdoom so have to sew as fast as I can. See, I'm even starting at 4.00 A.M MT time....lol