Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 International Quilt Festival/ Houston

Blog Entries
    Hi anyone going to the International Quilt Festival in Houston?
    http://www.quilts.com/newHome/shows/...e=FallFestival

Blog Entries
    Yes and I am so looking forward to it

I am going, I live here in Houston and have never been, this will be my first year and I am excited.

Yes, my quilt buddy and I book our trip last night. First time I've been to a festival other than Mid-Atlantic. So, Looking forward to it.

Blog Entries
    this will be my third. I think this year I am going to take some classes

Blog Entries
    I am flying in on the 2nd. I am taking 4 classes. It's my 1st time to go and am getting really excited. I've been on the website checking out all the vendors. I've been rat holing money for months so that I'll have extra to spend.

Yep, I'm going. Made arrangements to ride a bus

I am but I haven't decided on how to get there yet.

Blog Entries
    has anyone ever taken the "super fast binding and piping" class?

You betcha, I never miss it ! Lucky to be only 30 min away :)

Blog Entries
    Hope to go next year!!!

Blog Entries
    me too, I live just south of houston
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGurl
    You betcha, I never miss it ! Lucky to be only 30 min away :)

yes I am going and this will be my first time. I am so excited. There are 5 RV's we are traveling with and all the women are quilters and we all are going for the first time. What should we expect? Are there deals and in what? fabric, machines, books, patterns???

Blog Entries
    wouldn't miss it

Quote Originally Posted by NY-Flaquilter
    yes I am going and this will be my first time. I am so excited. There are 5 RV's we are traveling with and all the women are quilters and we all are going for the first time. What should we expect? Are there deals and in what? fabric, machines, books, patterns???
    You'll love it !! We've been going for more than 20 yrs. The deals vary, but there is everything under the sun for quilting. All the major machine dealers are there and longarms too. Antique quilts, notions, threads, wools and rug hooking too etc You will shop til you drop, but don't miss the quilt exhibits ! You need several days to see it all. They have package checks for $1 which I highly recommend. :)

Wear comfortable tennis shoes, you will be walking on concrete floor. Bring a bag to put your goodies in. DO NOT bring a purse. You need your credit card, drivers license, checks, glasses (if you need them), phone. Travel light. I used to wear a fanny pack, but don't do that anymore either. Too much trouble when you have to potty. I take a tote my niece made me. It has a zipper pouch inside. Last year I wore a pedometer. We walked 6 miles in one day. So be prepared. And Have a great time. See ya there!!

Quote Originally Posted by littlenell7777
    Wear comfortable tennis shoes, you will be walking on concrete floor. Bring a bag to put your goodies in. DO NOT bring a purse. You need your credit card, drivers license, checks, glasses (if you need them), phone. Travel light. I used to wear a fanny pack, but don't do that anymore either. Too much trouble when you have to potty. I take a tote my niece made me. It has a zipper pouch inside. Last year I wore a pedometer. We walked 6 miles in one day. So be prepared. And Have a great time. See ya there!!
    Good advice & I believe the 6 miles ! I've learned to ONLY take a tote and use a little cross-body mini-bag just big enough for my phone, cash & cards. Good idea to bring a bottle of water and snacks. They have a food court for lunch, but we always take CHOCOLATE to keep us going ! Don't forget your camera & some Advil :)

Yes, I will be there. I live in the Houston area but this year for the first time I will stay in a hotel near the George R. Brown convention center where it is held. It is a wonderful show and people fly in from all over the world to attend.

Blog Entries
    well I'm all signed up for my classes, "Super Fast Binding & Piping" on Monday AM, "Paintstik Inspiration" on Tuesday AM & "Free Motion Quilting" on Friday PM

Yes! Yes! Yes! We should all put some type of quilted square/circular pin/tag on our shirts that we are QBs so we can meet while we enjoy all of the shows, vendors, etc. Maybe it can say "ARE YOU A QB? I AM!!!" I think I'll try to work something up! Look for me at the show!

Second year for me and my quilting buddy. We live about an hour away and drive in just for one day. To do that we have to take a personal day off from work. Oh well!

We didn't know what we were looking at last year, but this time we have a little more experience under our belts.

Parking was the biggest problem. Someone has mentioned valet parking. Definately going to check on that.

Blog Entries
    I've been looking to see if there were shuttles from the outlying areas or valet also, I'm taking classes 3 days and we're going to the "show" on Saturday. Patty and I last year made 4 x4 nametags? with QB and then our Board Name and then our real names

Quote Originally Posted by JanTx
    Second year for me and my quilting buddy. We live about an hour away and drive in just for one day. To do that we have to take a personal day off from work. Oh well!

We didn't know what we were looking at last year, but this time we have a little more experience under our belts.

Parking was the biggest problem. Someone has mentioned valet parking. Definately going to check on that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My friend was called and informed that she won a cash prize on her quilt and she asked me to go with her. It is the first time for both of us and we are so excited. We have our plane tickets, hotel room, etc. We can hardly wait.

Blog Entries
    you need to let us know which is her quilt, so we can go look at it
    Quote Originally Posted by VernaL
    My friend was called and informed that she won a cash prize on her quilt and she asked me to go with her. It is the first time for both of us and we are so excited. We have our plane tickets, hotel room, etc. We can hardly wait.

Quote Originally Posted by JanTx

You REALLY need to come and stay overnight so you can go back a second day ! You need 2 days to shop and see all the quilt exhibits. Come on Fri and stay over for Sat. There are a lot of hotels in the Galleria or SW/W Houston areas that are much more affordable than the downtown hotels.
    As far as I know there aren't any shuttles to the show from outlying areas, unless LQS have ones going ? :)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast