Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
Anyone in S. E. Mo Hand Quilt.???? >

Anyone in S. E. Mo Hand Quilt.????

Anyone in S. E. Mo Hand Quilt.????

Old 10-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DJRustic
Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Donna, I don't live near you but I am so sad that your LQS isn't interested in teaching it. Wow, times are changing :(
Have you considered a quilt group where you live?? There has to be someone somewhere!!
Good luck :)
Susan Margaret, yes, it is sad that this shop doesn't want to teach hand quilting. Said they tried before & no one was interested. Saw you are from Ohio. That is my home state. Where in Ohio are you. We are from Gallipolis, down by the river. Thanks, Donna, The Rustic Quilter
Donna, I'm in Columbus. I know machine quilting is what most people are doing but both are beautiful ways to finish a quilt! I learned hand quilting around 20 years ago and still love it. I hope you get some help to keep this form going :)
Old 10-03-2010, 08:09 PM

Donna, I don't live near you but I am so sad that your LQS isn't interested in teaching it. Wow, times are changing :(
Have you considered a quilt group where you live?? There has to be someone somewhere!!
Good luck :)
Susan Margaret, yes, it is sad that this shop doesn't want to teach hand quilting. Said they tried before & no one was interested. Saw you are from Ohio. That is my home state. Where in Ohio are you. We are from Gallipolis, down by the river. Thanks, Donna, The Rustic Quilter
Donna, I'm in Columbus. I know machine quilting is what most people are doing but both are beautiful ways to finish a quilt! I learned hand quilting around 20 years ago and still love it. I hope you get some help to keep this form going :)
My sister lives in Jackson. She just got a LA this past yr. Doesn't have it set up yet. Do you go to the quilt shop in Chillocothe? I love to work with my hands. I bought a Hq16 last yr. I now have my Mom living with me & I so want to hand quilt so I am not in the quilt room away from her. The Hq16 can wait on me. Thanks, Donna, The Rustic Quilter
Old 10-03-2010, 10:44 PM

Donna, I would really like to help you, but I'm too far away here in Germany.... but what I can do is to encourage you! Keep hand quilting alive! It is such a wonderful craft. I hope you find somebody who can give you the support you need.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
Donna, I would really like to help you, but I'm too far away here in Germany.... but what I can do is to encourage you! Keep hand quilting alive! It is such a wonderful craft. I hope you find somebody who can give you the support you need.
I will not give up. I love to hand quilt & I could do it 25 yrs. ago & I will do it now!!! Thanks for the encouragement. I can tell you are a hand quilter. Love it. My husband & I were in Germany about 30 yrs. ago. We have traveled to nearly all of the foreign countries & germany was the only place that I said I would love to really go back to & spend alot of time. I love the values you people have. You do not tear down buildings just to build another. Seems like you have things for live & I truly admire that. Where are you? We were in Munich. Thanks again for the encouragement. Donna, The Rustic Quilter
Old 10-04-2010, 07:23 AM

I think you've accurately described the problem, and it's one I share as well. Perfectionism and impatience: a lethal combination!! If you've quilted before and watched the videos, I think you must know how to quilt: the problem is you're not satisfied with the outcome.

Here's my prescription.
1. Assemble a bunch of solid color "sandwiches" (fronts + batting + backs), making each one the size of a place mat.
2. Use water soluble markers to trace some interesting quilting patterns on the top.
3. Pick a contrasting quilting thread, and use a #9 or 10 "Betweens" needle and quilt them.
4. Don't try for perfection: aim for 5 to 6 stitches per inch at first, but concentrate more on even stitches than on small ones.

I read somewhere that it takes 3 hours of almost continuous quilting before your mind and hands hook up and you "get it." That was more or less true for me, but I'm still working on even stitches: if my mind wanders, they tend to get "wonky."

Let me know how you fare. We're all cheerleading!!

Jory

I tend to be too much of a perfectionest, I really think this is my problem. My hubby & kids say I have OCDC. But of course I think they are wrong. . . . . Guess I am just too impatient. I want to quilt perfectly NOW. Donna, The Rustic Quilter.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:48 PM

Please contact me....I may know someone in the Dora area who can help you find someone who HQ. I used to leave near Zanoni Mill and still visit. Guess you need to PM me.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:51 PM

Please contact me....I may know someone in the Dora area who can help you find someone who HQ. I used to live near Zanoni Mill and still visit. Guess you need to PM me.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:16 PM

Your sister lives in Jackson Mo??? May I ask her name I hand quilt & machine quilt. Thanks
Old 10-05-2010, 02:39 AM

Jory, As they say "I think you have hit the nail on the head" Love your prescription. I will try to take a dose of it & see what happens. I will let you know. Thanks for all of your cheerleading too. This really helps. I guess it is like falling off a bicycle, they say you can never forget & you can just get right back up & peddle away again. only problem here is these ole hands are 25 yrs. older & I tend to think I am the same & can still do everything. My kids call me super woman. I am also a determined person & won't give up. I keep this quilt that I want to hand quilt right here in the living room so I have to see it everyday. I will accomplise this. Thanks again & I will keep you posted. Love this board. Donna,The Rustic Quilter
Old 10-05-2010, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by shrabar
Your sister lives in Jackson Mo??? May I ask her name I hand quilt & machine quilt. Thanks
Shrabar, No my sister lives in Jackson, Ohio. I live in Dora or West Plains area. Where are you exactly? Donna, The Rustic Quilter