Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Chicago area Quilt Shops

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    178
    Sister and I area attending an expo in Schaumburg 1st of April. (http://www.sewingexpo.com/ChicagoIL.aspx) Does anyone have a list of LQS in the area or know of a Shop Hop listing? Always nice to find some place new. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    2,738
    Fabrics 2 Etc in Bensenville, IL. Quilters Destination in Arlington Heights. I've been to both, worth the visit. I know there are more out towards Schaumburg than Chicago, actually.

  3. #3
    Super Member Lori S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,385
    If like batiks you really need to go to Quilt fabric. com It has the biggest selection of batiks of any store I have ever been in. Do not let the name confuse you it is a real store.
    I also like Pieceful Hearts fabric. Very good selection of all types of quilting fabric.
    Have fun , maybe I will see you at the show. I am still mourning the loss of International Quilt show.

  4. #4
    Super Member Tink's Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    chicago, IL
    Posts
    9,692
    Fabric Etc.II is terrific...There is a shop very close to the expo...on Plumgrove Rd.,in Palantine(?)..Prints Charming. I haven't been there in a couple of years so check before. All the good ones are in the suburbs. The only one that is worth going into the city is in Bucktown, but with traffic...it could be a 2hour drive.
    A store that isn't a quilt shop...but a fabric shop. Vogue Fabrics in Evanston, on Main St. LOTS of fabrics...

  5. #5
    Super Member Cris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Warrenville, IL
    Posts
    2,023
    A lady frrom Joanns told me about Fishmans downtown - haven't been yet but check out the website!
    http://fishmansfabrics.com/

  6. #6
    Super Member Lori S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,385
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
    Fabric Etc.II is terrific...There is a shop very close to the expo...on Plumgrove Rd.,in Palantine(?)..Prints Charming. I haven't been there in a couple of years so check before. All the good ones are in the suburbs. The only one that is worth going into the city is in Bucktown, but with traffic...it could be a 2hour drive.
    A store that isn't a quilt shop...but a fabric shop. Vogue Fabrics in Evanston, on Main St. LOTS of fabrics...
    Prints Charming went out of business. I was at Fishmann's ( there is a Vogue Fabric very close by). It had primarily decorator fabric and a bit pricey.

  7. #7
    Super Member Tink's Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    chicago, IL
    Posts
    9,692
    The Vogue in Evanston has about 1/2 the 1 store in quality cottons. It is 4 store fronts together. And a whole room of remnants...I go bonkers in the remnants.
    If you go here, please make sure that you feed the meters...they are cheap...25cents per hour....but the ticket isn't.

  8. #8
    Super Member seamstome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,338
    quilt fabric for batiks! no doubt the best selection in area.

    Vogue is more home dec and bridal etc IMO

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NW Chicago Suburb
    Posts
    379
    A Touch of Amish is in downtown Barrington - just a few miles from the convention center. Great fabrics, great staff, lots of completed quilts on display with patterns and fabrics options.

  10. #10
    Senior Member kwilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    lovely Elmhurst, IL
    Posts
    933
    Quote Originally Posted by Maia B
    Fabrics 2 Etc in Bensenville, IL. Quilters Destination in Arlington Heights. I've been to both, worth the visit. I know there are more out towards Schaumburg than Chicago, actually.
    Mary Forte at Fabrics Etc. 2 in Bensenville is MY LQS owner/operator and she has fabulous stuff, friendly staff, lessons and the whole 9 yards!


    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

  11. #11
    Super Member Tink's Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    chicago, IL
    Posts
    9,692
    Quote Originally Posted by kwilter
    Quote Originally Posted by Maia B
    Fabrics 2 Etc in Bensenville, IL. Quilters Destination in Arlington Heights. I've been to both, worth the visit. I know there are more out towards Schaumburg than Chicago, actually.
    Mary Forte at Fabrics Etc. 2 in Bensenville is MY LQS owner/operator and she has fabulous stuff, friendly staff, lessons and the whole 9 yards!


    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Mary knows her stuff...and her machines, too!

    :thumbup:

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    154
    Where in central Illinois are you located. There are several in the Peoria area.

  13. #13
    community benefactor stitchofclass2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Illinois & Wisconsin
    Posts
    831
    Blog Entries
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    If like batiks you really need to go to Quilt fabric. com It has the biggest selection of batiks of any store I have ever been in. Do not let the name confuse you it is a real store.
    I also like Pieceful Hearts fabric. Very good selection of all types of quilting fabric.
    Have fun , maybe I will see you at the show. I am still mourning the loss of International Quilt show.
    I love these two stores also. Have fun!

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    178
    Peoria is approx 90 minutes. Is there a shop hop listing for your area? I have listing of the stores for the East Central IL and the IL/IN (Illiana) Shop Hops.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by Katydid2
    Peoria is approx 90 minutes. Is there a shop hop listing for your area? I have listing of the stores for the East Central IL and the IL/IN (Illiana) Shop Hops.
    Shop hop for Peoria/Bloomington area is in the fall. Usually in October.

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    178
    Would still like to know the name so can search for it later. Love to visit new shops no matter what time of the year :)

  17. #17
    Senior Member Belles.hold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hickory Hills, IL
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by Katydid2
    Sister and I area attending an expo in Schaumburg 1st of April. (http://www.sewingexpo.com/ChicagoIL.aspx) Does anyone have a list of LQS in the area or know of a Shop Hop listing? Always nice to find some place new. Thanks!
    Quiltfabric.com is in Willowbrook, a suburb southwest of Chicago. It is on 75th Street & Kingery Road (route 83). It is well worth the ride, lots and lots and lots of batiks and bolts and bolts and bolts of fabric. It is well worth the traveling. Another great quilt shop is Peaceful Heart in Lisle - great fabric choices - beautiful colors and knowledgeable clerks. One more quilt shop quite a bit further south is Susan Marie's on 127th and Ridgeland Ave. Sue doesn't have as much fabric as the other two, but her color sense is perfect. Good luck! Belles

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.