Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
Eastward bound & looking for great quilt shops, etc. >

Eastward bound & looking for great quilt shops, etc.

Eastward bound & looking for great quilt shops, etc.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by geckos42
I'm flying to Columbus, Ohio this summer to spend time with my best friend (a quilter). We're driving from Columbus to Portland, Maine and have time to stop at quilt shops along the way. I'm not familiar with that part of the country, so if any of you (fellow quilters) would care to suggest quilt shops, historical monuments, galleries, museums, outlets -- any places of interest we should include in our plans, PLEASE do so!

We have to drive directly to Portland after I arrive, but can take all the time in the world for the road trip back to Columbus. Upon our return we're going to quilt to our hearts' content! I just learned to quilt, but she is a seasoned pro with a Husqvarna that will finish my quilt tops. I'll be flying home with suitcases tightly packed with my completed quilts and lots of fabric for my next projects.

I heard that Keepsake Quilts (NH) is a real disappointment. Anyone have personal experience?

All comments, suggestions, feedback are highly appreciated.
I was at Keepsake quilts in NH and loved it.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lots2do
there's an incredible shop in Chester, VT, too. I'll have to look up the name.
Country Treasures: This is Sue Ashe's shop - tons of fabric and a lot of good fabric on sale always. Depending on when you're traveling - they are always closed for Mudseason 3/28-4/16 this year. (forgot yours is a summer trip when I wrote this)

The Log Cabin Quilting with which I'm familiar is in Ravena NY - Londa Vanderzee's shop - she's a neat lady and has a good fabric selection. If you get here you're pretty near Gloversville - the Gloversville Sewing Center is Diana Marshall's shop - she's a terrific lady too.
Both women are friends of mine - but I recommend without bias. (pun unintended)
Old 02-26-2011, 03:40 PM

Martin's moved to a different location from the one with the jeweler a few years ago. It has a website so you can probably find it. I would pick a trip to one of the Marden's in Maine over Martin's, just my opinion.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:19 PM

When you get to Maine be sure to check our Marden's. They are a Maine chain with few stores throughout the state and you can look on line for the locations.
They sell discount ever thing from food to automotive, funiture,
sporting goods everything including the kitchen sink. The best thing they sell is fabric, fabric and more fabric. They have other sewing notions and sometimes yarn, patterns and batting. The saying is " You should have bought it, when you saw it at Mardens." They have a huge selection and the prices and quality are great.
I always bring a supply south to sew with as the prices are so much better then down here. You won't be disappointed.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:27 PM

I loved Knights Quilt Shop at the first Ogunquit exit. Its not far from the exit, also check out Stonewall Kitchens which is right there. Great little cafe and lots of jams, jellies crackers etc.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:46 PM

In Bettsville, Ohio, maybe an hour or so north of Columbus, is the Door Mouse. They have 17,000 bolts of fabric and many pretty samples made up.

It's about a 45 minute drive for me and I try to get there a few times a year...after I save my allowance up.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:20 PM

If you can bring yourself to drive into Southeastern PA and head into Lancaster County (county seat is Lancaster) you will be planting yourself right smack dab in the middle of Quilter's Heaven (a true Mecca for any quilter.) There are fabric stores all over the place, The good thing is you are also a short hop away from hte Pennsylvania Turnpike, which will take you directly into Ohio and on to Columbus - a route I drove many times in my life as I was stationed in Columbus and lived close to Lancaster. It is WORTH the drive, believe me! Just do a Google on Lancaster PA area fabric shops, or Lancaster County, Chester County, Berks County and Lebanon County fabric shops. Guaranteed to drool!

Terry -- in Northern Delaware (only an hour away from my wife's favorite PA fabric shop haunts.)
Old 02-27-2011, 06:50 PM

I live 30 mins from your friend so I can pm you a list of what we have a a aila le locally. Do you have a type or look that you tend toward? Most shopa around here are small - nothing like hancocks or keepsake. As for keepsake it has been 10 years since i was last there so I'll let someone else comment.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:55 PM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Check with Jenni M...she's in Portsmouth Ohio....great little town.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:53 AM

I have been to KQ and thought it wonderful! Although traffic in the summer is very congested in that area (depending on gas prices this year ?). Just be prepared for the traffic! In southern Maine, on Route 1 between York and Ogunquit is a delightful shop, Knights and worth the stop. (They have a website for directions....are closed on Tuesdays..) (But once again, Route 1 in the summer is nuts! But always worth the trip if a quilt shop is involved!