Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Gee Bend Quilters at Fiber College in Maine

Gee Bend Quilters at Fiber College in Maine

Hi Everyone,

We just returned from 5 weeks of RV exploring. Part of our trip took us to Maine. We found a wonderful campground that just happens to be the host of the Fiber College! I am so excited! One of the course offerings this year (Sept. 6-10th) is quilting with two women Gee Bend Quilters. I didn't know anything about Gee Bend quilting so I didn't understand the excitement about this. But since I returned home I did some googling and discovered this group, its history and philosophy. Now I'm excited

I started thinking, does anyone on the board know about this? Wouldn't it be great to have a meet up at this event!

Here is the webpage for the college: https://www.regonline.com/builder/si...ventID=1952084 I brought you right to the list of courses being offered over the 5 day period.

Anyone else planning to go?
    Kookie (Patti)

Blog Entries
    sounds like fun, but i can't travel right now
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Thanks for posting this. Very interesting. I did get to see their quilts on display a few years back.
    Alyce

I was lucky enough to see their quilts on display in 2006. It's what got me back into quilting after a 20 year hiatus. Wonderful quilts and a great story. There is a documentary film about them and there were two catalogs made for the show.

fibercollege sounds like a lot of fun--- I'd never heard of this event before.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

I have been to 2 events with Gees Bend quilters, Marryann and China ___. We had a lot of fun and certainly enjoyed their impromptu gospel singing. You just take your machine, supplies and whatever fabric you want to use. Their is no rhyme or reason to cutting your strips.
    It was such fun Enjoy !!

Its a bit far for me to go. I have seen the Gee's Bend quilt exhibit when it was here in Houston years ago. I shelled out the $60 for the book and I'm glad I did. It has beautiful pictures and a complete history of the Gee's Bend quilters.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight