Georgia Quilt Shops

Old 05-06-2010, 01:45 PM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Originally Posted by Marcia
Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i have called in the Cavalry. Marcia lives in that area and works at a quilt shop. i'll bet she shares the scoop as soon as she reads the pm. :-)
Oh, Patrice---you are SO funny!! I got your PM and here I am!

Yes, I live between Macon and Atlanta and I know EVERY quilt shop in the area (and there are others on this board that can back me up!!) Unfortunately, Macon does not have a quilt shop. You have to head towards Atlanta for all things fabric.

From Macon, heading north to Atlanta there are 3 quilt shops off of I-75. The first is The Gardener's Quilts in Jackson (this is where I work on Wednesdays), the second is A Scarlet Thread in McDonough and the third is Quilts and Fixins in Jonesboro.

In the Atlanta area there are more quilt shops--Intown Quilters in Decatur, Red Hen, Tiny Stitches and Little Quilts-all in Marietta and then there are 2 that are east of Atlanta (I have only been to the 2 east of town once). All the shops have websites, if you Google them you should find them. If you have any questions about them, just send me a PM. I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Every one of the shops is worth the trip and I have left money behind in every one of them!! Hope this helps some.
Yes she knows them all!!! Ask me how I know........hehehehehe
Old 05-06-2010, 01:55 PM

I have been to all 4 of those mentioned shops and I LOVE them all. I just finished a quilt I got at In Town quilters - they had a pattern published in a magazine and I bought the materials - batiks at the store. Love it. You could hit all four on a saturday - a GPS would help greatly.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:37 PM

I apologize for sounding critical of those shops...didn't mean to be ugly. I guess my outlook may be a bit different as I do love looking at and touching the fabric at the LQS but really find it hard to pay such high prices for the same fabric I can buy online at much, much lower prices. For example, last week I bought 2 yds at one of the shops in Marietta mentioned above and spent $8.99/yd. I decided a few days later that I wanted more of the same fabric to use in a quilt I am making. I went online and got the exact same fabric at fabric.com (also in Marietta) for $3.95/yd. I admit I am spoiled somewhat because I used to shop for fabric in the garment district in NYC and was able to buy fabric at wholesale prices so it's very difficult for me to pay full retail price. I just want to get the biggest bang for my buck and while I don't begrudge the LQS owners wanting to make a profit, I will certainly spend my money where it will stretch the farthest.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:21 PM

I agree with Marcia.... and when you got to Jonesboro.. tell em DAWN MISSES THEM!!!!

It is worth the drive to do a little shop hop. And if you get the chance to bump into Marcia.. OOOO she is a DEAR... Give her a HUG from ME!
Old 05-06-2010, 03:34 PM

I'm going to visit my SIL sometime this summer. She lives in Crawford which is near Athens. I know at some point we will need to escape from the kids! :) Anyone know of some good shops out that way?
Old 05-06-2010, 03:49 PM

That is Patrice's area... talk to her....
Old 05-07-2010, 06:18 AM

Yah I am so excited!!!!!! You all are so much wiser than the internet and user friendly. I searched the other day but got nowhere cause I had no clue where all those places were.

Alumni of the college said people will also take a trip to either Savannah or Charleston on the weekend we have off. I don't know I might go to the ATL and quilt shop all by my self!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2010, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Athens is four hours from me.

Savannah is one hour. Charleston is about three and a half.

There's at least one quilt shop in savannah, and one in Garden City, which is more or less a supburb of savannah. Hancock's and Joann's have stores there, too.

i think there's one quilt shop in Charleston's historic district but am not positive.