Houston Quilt Festival

Old 10-27-2011, 11:07 AM

Ok Girls this is my first year to go, I am going with 3 other girls, we leave from Dallas on Wed. morning and will leave Houston some time Sat. Late afternoon. Can anyone give me any tips, pointers, advice anything?? Im excited, but have had so many issues come up dont have much money to take with me! Ive been told that a lot of what we see is just old stuff that is already out that the new stuff wont come out till later in the year? So I am confused!! Help!!
Old 10-27-2011, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Pinkbutterflyquilter
Ok Girls this is my first year to go, I am going with 3 other girls, we leave from Dallas on Wed. morning and will leave Houston some time Sat. Late afternoon. Can anyone give me any tips, pointers, advice anything?? Im excited, but have had so many issues come up dont have much money to take with me! Ive been told that a lot of what we see is just old stuff that is already out that the new stuff wont come out till later in the year? So I am confused!! Help!!
I live in W Houston and we go every year. Wear good walking shoes and travel LIGHT. There are usually about 1,000 vendors - more than you can see! Lunch in the food court, also a cafe upstairs. Starbucks carts with snacks on the 2nd flr. BEST thing ever - the package checks for $1, downstairs & upstairs. Demos and lectures are fun to see and rest your feet. Discovery Green Park is just across the street from the show, a nice place to go out for fresh air. Have fun ! :)
Old 10-27-2011, 02:01 PM

You can have a great time without spending much or you can go hog wild. I have only been once, but I enjoyed taking on a category of quilts and really seeing them all. I still love the pictures I've taken, many closeups. The best free class for me was the square in a square class, but there lots of others; you just sign up the day of the class. Also, I hope you will come by Quilts Beyond Borders, I'll have pic of our recent trip to Ethiopi, aswell, the prior trip and our recent delivery to Haiti.
Karen
Old 10-27-2011, 02:02 PM

say hello, thanks for helping with quilts.

Karen
Old 10-28-2011, 11:25 AM

It is next weekend right? Or am I completely off my rocker?
Old 10-28-2011, 03:33 PM

Nov. 3-6; preview night is Wedn, Nov.2 Have fun.
Karen
Old 10-29-2011, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Yosamitesa
It is next weekend right? Or am I completely off my rocker?
Yep, you are correct! My ticket is for Friday, probably very crowded, but went last year on Thurs and could not even move the crowd was so thick. Took an hour to just get to some of the suppliers just to see what they had this year. A friend of mine went Thurs and Fri and said it was much less crowded Fri. Lots and lots of booths to look at/buy from and so many beautiful quilts. Some you can't take pictures of, but the prize winners will show you front and back of their quilts and let you take pictures!
Old 10-29-2011, 12:39 PM

If you want a nice place to go after the show, head out the front, turn right, then turn right again at the end of the building. There's a wine place called Cork Soakers. http://corksoakershouston.com/specials.html
It's a great place to go and enjoy good company, food and some great wine. The lady that owns the place is really great! Last year, she had BOGO coupons at the information desk at the show.
Also, if you have too much to drink, they have a shuttle (just give a tip) or if the shuttle has stopped operating, they will call you a cab.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:28 AM

Someone told me to take a rolling shopping cart to carry your goodies...is that allowed...wanted to make sure before I took it in with me...can someone advise...it's my first year to go as well...
Old 10-28-2012, 07:09 PM

Oh MY!!! This thread was bumped from LAST YEAR!! The show is 11-1 thru 11-4 this year, 2012!! And I will be going...