I get to be a snowbird!

Old 01-30-2014, 04:43 AM

I am from the most lowest and western part of Michigan and still be in Michigan, but moved over 30 years ago to Manistee county. We're snowbirds in North Myrtle Beach. Had snow (skiff) and ice Tuesday night, everything is still closed day 2. I feel sorry for my family back home all it does is snow and blow, temperatures fidget. I worry with my grand-kids on the roads to college and work. Ground hog day is just around the corner but I am afraid he can't dig out of his hole. If he could we probably don't want to know what his predication is.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:32 AM

Say, Mayme, you will shut the door firmly behind you when you come this way, right? Someone left it open and we're having 39 degrees this AM!! But Altlanta is 14 degrees according to the news, so I'm counting my blessings! BUT still, shut that door tight, okay?
Old 01-30-2014, 06:00 AM

We use to winter in Zephyrhills, how fun!!! I loved the small town atmosphere of Zephyr and Dade City. Enjoy. There's some great quilt shops around and the most beautiful bead shop in Lakeland. At least there used to be a great bead shop in Lakeland. Been more than 10 years since we were last there. You will love it, enjoy!!!! Oh, and the fresh Strawberries are to die for!!!
Old 01-30-2014, 06:29 AM

I grew up in Michigan and lived for many years in SW Michigan so am familiar with that climate. We now live in Citrus County Florida which is NW of Zephyrhills. It does get chilly here but the big difference is even when it's chilly at night it warms up nicely during the day and there is lots of sunshine, something SW Michigan doesn't have much, so it seems warm. I really enjoy not having to get bundled up every time I go outside and not have to allow extra time to clean off my car. You'll enjoy the weather. Just don't plan on spending your days in the pool unless you have a heated pool and even then it will only be some days warm enough for that. There's a wonderful quilt shop in Dunedin FL - Rainbow's End - if you want a nice day trip to the Gulf from Zephyrhills. If you've never seen a Manatee and want to then Crystal River and the state park at Homosassa are great places to see them and while you're at it, yes there is a nice quilt shop in Crystal River, Tomorrow's Treasures. For all the Michigan posters and especially the one who's husband works at Meijer, I really, really, miss Meijer here in Florida. We could use a store like that!
Old 01-30-2014, 08:57 AM

I visit Holiday (just north of Tarpon Springs) every 10-12 weeks to visit my parents. You are going to love visiting Florida. Zephyr Hills is a nice area with good shopping! Although it''s very chilly in Florida today (40's this morning), it's going back in the 80'ss over the weekend.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:17 AM

I complain about the cold in FL now too. It is past noon and not 50* yet. But, there is NO snow and I dont worry about slipping on ice. I will take this anyday over MI.

This cold won't last too long, we were 75* two days ago.

Jean in FL now
Old 02-17-2014, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
We are in Paw Paw. We have family in Ludington & Manistee. We moved because of a job transfer; my other half is a 25 yr employee with Meijer and they are opening a new store in South Haven.

I'm in Paw Paw - welcome. Like everyone else I have had enough of winter. I think I can handle the cold now better than the snow. I belong to Lawton Country Quilters. We meet the 2nd Tuesday of the month in the Library at Lawton Elem School. Come join us sometime.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by nonymac View Post
I'm in Paw Paw - welcome. Like everyone else I have had enough of winter. I think I can handle the cold now better than the snow. I belong to Lawton Country Quilters. We meet the 2nd Tuesday of the month in the Library at Lawton Elem School. Come join us sometime.
Hi! I sent you a PM. I have been trying to find out some information about this Lawton Group!
Old 02-17-2014, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
Hi! I sent you a PM. I have been trying to find out some information about this Lawton Group!
I replied.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:38 PM

The good thing about snow in MB area is that if you can wait a day or so, it all goes away. And even though it's cold, it's not in the below "0" range.