Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I'm Taking a Quilt Collage Class from Laura Heine

I'm Taking a Quilt Collage Class from Laura Heine

My quilt guilt had Laura Heine as a speaker tonight. Tomorrow she's giving a class on her fabric collage technique. I'm going to take it and I'm really looking forward to it. I haven't take any classes in a long time. I've always liked the way she works with color and fabric. I'm really looking for ward to it.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Power Poster
    ​A nice way to start 2018!

Blog Entries
    I’ve been wanting to try collage too...it looks like fun. Don’t forget to show us your project.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Lucky you! I love her work and bought her seahorse pattern on sale from QIAD. Now I'm getting a little nervous about starting on it as I actually know nothing about the collage technique. I am looking on youtube and Pinterest for info. At this point, I've just starting collecting fabrics {small pieces} so I can do that. Please let us know how your class goes.

I'm just back from the class. It was so much fun! I like her technique (even if it was a bit hard for me at first). I think that taking the class and having her there was a huge help. A couple of the things I was struggling with, I don't think I'd have figured out on my own. She's really a good teacher.

She owns a shop in Billings, Montana and was saying that she's going to start a teacher education program for shop owners so they can teach her collage techniques. Nice idea!
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I'm taking her collage class but not taught by her. Our guild has a lady fm LA coming on Monday, Jan. 8th. I bought the pincushion pattern several months ago as the class was scheduled then but had to be postponed bec the teacher had last minute car trouble.

I have been reading the pattern & am concerned about her "underlay" technique. Never heard of it so am anxious to see what the teacher can help me understand. I'm not in the "advanced group" anyway so anything I can learn is going to be big plus. Look forward to seeing your completed quilt. Glad you enjoyed the class. Kathy

I have done the pink flamingo the bear and now I am going to do the fox. The bear I did in the puzzle pieces in different batiks. For my oldest daughter whose daughter is Autistic. Really loved doing them.

Kathy - The underlay is just a base fabric to place the motifs on. You don't cover it completely so some will show thru. I didn't Emerson (the dog) and used several different pieces for underlay. It helps define the separate parts of the design.
    Patrice S

Blog Entries
    Patrice, I’m glad you enjoyed the experience. It will be on my 2018 goals/challenge.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I'm going to do the giraffe but sketch my own with mother and baby- I have all the fabrics already. I can't wait! She really created a wonderful technique to apply to all kinds of animals and just stuff- cars, people, anything! Lucky you!!

Quote Originally Posted by petpainter View Post
    I'm going to do the giraffe but sketch my own with mother and baby- I have all the fabrics already. I can't wait! She really created a wonderful technique to apply to all kinds of animals and just stuff- cars, people, anything! Lucky you!!
    I felt very lucky that I found this quilt guild right before Laura was teaching so that I could take the class!
    Patrice S

Didn't know who she was or what she did until I read your comment. I found her webpage and boy, her work is really beautiful. Whimsical, soft and fun. Lucky you to have her come to you. I am tempted to go to Billings and take her summer workshop. Thanks for the tip!
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

My LQS has a collage quilt class on their calendar -- must be the latest thing!
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

you may enjoy this new utube video- published yesterday:
    Collage Quilts and Painterly Quilts with Designer Laura Heine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqqecRpfV0c