Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Internatonal Quilt Festival

Internatonal Quilt Festival

The next international quilt show is scheduled in Houston this fall. Is this the biggest quilt show in the U.S.? Do some of the big designers like Bonnie and Camille have booths at this show?

Have any Canadians been to the International Quilt festival? How does it compare to the Canadian shows?

I'm considering flying to Houston for the show this fall with my sister. I want to make sure this is a large show and worth the trip?
    Last edited by Butters2013; 07-02-2017 at 01:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    What are the dates for the quilt show? This is the first I have heard about it. I love quilt shows but I hate the traffic in Houston. If I went I would try to get a hotel close enough that I wouldn't have to drive every day to the quilt show.

The show is 11/2-5 this year, with preview night on 11/1 and classes starting on 10/30. This is THE big show. I am planning to go this year for the first time and have been told that you can't see it all, even if you go every day.

Sounds like a big show. I am going to look into flights.

Its a huge show. Here's the website http://quilts.com/ It should answer a lot of your questions. There will also be a vendor list closer in to the show dates so you know who will be there. There is a list of teachers on the site now. But, yes, lots of big names come to Quilt Festival

Staying downtown is the way to go especially if you are taking classes. Houston traffic is not for the faint of heart. All the big hotels have shuttles. Some are close enough to walk. There are shuttles from the airport to the hotels so you don't need a rental car if you are staying downtown.
    Last edited by cashs_mom; 07-02-2017 at 07:23 PM.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

If I recall right, Bonnie Hunter does have it scheduled on her blog calendar to be there this year.
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Quote Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
    If I recall right, Bonnie Hunter does have it scheduled on her blog calendar to be there this year.
    Good idea! If there are certain people you'd like to know will be there, check their websites. If they are going to be there, they'll most likely have it posted.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    I went last year with a friend who goes every year. It was great!!!! Going again this yeat

See you there, happystitchermm!
    Patrice S

IMHO, this is the biggest & best quilt show in the US. Have gone several years & am still amazed by all there is. The quilts are absolutely fantastic & the workmanship is sheer perfection. It is all in one location - George R Brown Convention Center - that that makes it nice. I have gone for 3-1/2 days before but have always said I could have stayed another whole day. Classes are abundant & well attended. Vendors are more than abundant & well maintained. Food & hotel are pricey but that is to be expected at this venue. I have always stayed at the Hyatt, which is on the free shuttle route & have never missed a thing. I think you & your sister will absolutely love the show. I did when I went w/mine. Happy & safe travel to you both. Kathy

I've heard people say the Houston Quilt Festival is the biggest and best, Kathy. I have nothing to compare it to (although I hope to go to Paducah soon and visit my friends in KY and TN) but I just love Festival week. It makes my whole year.
    Patrice S

I am headed back to Houston this year for the festival. Two years ago my friend who lives there and I signed up for a class but didn't get in. This year we jumped into the fray early and are taking a class during festival. Looking forward to it for sure. We sew, the guys do other things.

I agree with cashs_mom about loving this show. I look forward to it from one year to the next! Even if you do not get to take the classes, there are vendor demos, "Meet the Teacher", and an "Open Studios" area all free at the show. There are MANY wonderful exhibits and the judged show. If this is your very first trip, search old topics about the show for lots of tips that will help you. I will get to go every day the show floor is open since I can stay with my daughter and son-in-law. But of course this means I have to manage traffic and parking, which is also a pain. Still, I can't wait!

I am still waffling on if I should go or not. The collaboration quilt I did with my friend Gail got accepted. She did the applique and I did the quilting. The quilt is called Quan Yin. Please look for it when you go!

I was so excited when we found out we got accepted. Houston it is a huge honor just to get juried in.

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    I am still waffling on if I should go or not. The collaboration quilt I did with my friend Gail got accepted. She did the applique and I did the quilting. The quilt is called Quan Yin. Please look for it when you go!

I was so excited when we found out we got accepted. Houston it is a huge honor just to get juried in.
    OMG, feline fanatic! Its a huge honor to get juried in. The quilts in the show are absolutely amazing. I hope you get to come and actually see your quilt displayed. I had a jacket many years ago win an award in the Sulky Challenge and so when it was here I saw it on display. It's so exciting!
    Patrice S

Blog Entries
    I went in 2015. It is a great show. Took classes with fantastic teachers. Just make sure the vendors you are looking for are there during the Festival and not just Market, which is the week before. That was the only stumbling block we had. Stay downtown if possible. We walked to a "grocery store" for lunch each day which had a fantastic deli!
    I am following my retirement plan, I Quilt.

Blog Entries
    as mentioned in another post here, check hotels and rental cars availability. due to Hurricane Harvey, it may be difficult at some places. Good luck.

Native Houstonian here. Suggest staying at walkable downtown hotels, lot of construction, er ugh, reconstruction right now. Please wear comfy shoes & plan ahead what you must see because it there is so much to view. The last time I went home for the show there was a four seasons silk quilt from Japan that took up four walls, one for each season - it took my breath away! You may want to buy a program in case things get rearranged prior to printing. Book classes early. Bring a sack lunch or check out the nearby restaurants, including the rotating Spindletop for city views. The city library is full of quilting books, one year their book sale coincided with the show & I found several Thimbleberries & Carol Doaks books that I had been wanting for quite sometime. Note that the local quilt shops have fewer customers or are closed because they are at the show. My favorite LQS is off 11th St near Yale in The Heights (a quaint Victorian neighborhood near downtown). Y'all remember to hydrate even in November in Texas! Hope you have a lot of fun! Oh, the things you'll see!!!
    I wish I could go this year but our family is planning Thanksgiving/Family Reunion in Dripping Springs so I must save my money for that trip & hopefully some Texas themed fabric.
    hugs,
    dj
    “Art is never finished, only abandoned.”
    ― Leonardo_da_Vinci