Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
Looking for Dear Jane or Judy Niemeyer group in my area >

Looking for Dear Jane or Judy Niemeyer group in my area

Looking for Dear Jane or Judy Niemeyer group in my area

Old 08-14-2015, 08:53 AM

Default Looking for Dear Jane or Judy Niemeyer group in my area

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone on the board that lives in the North TX area (Ft. Worth/Dallas) is making the Dear Jane or Judy Niemeyer quilt. I would love to find a small group, an individual, quilt shop, ect. that is in my area that is making or would like to make one of these quilts. I am an intermediate quilter with lots of experience but feel like having someone else or even a group that meets to make one of these quilts would be of help. I am ready to challenge myself but feel as though having someone along side would be great. If you know of such a group, or if you are an individual that would like to tackle one of these quilts, please let me know.
Thanks so much,
Marcia in Crowley
Old 08-14-2015, 10:37 AM

Hi Marcia.....i live in Coppell and finally bought myself the Dear Jane book last year - it has been on my wish list forever. I haven't started working on it yet tho'.

Are you thinking about starting now??....i have kind of a full plate til after the first of the year - what with Christmas gifts to make and all....but you're right, it would be nice to have someone to work along with (even if it was mostly "virtually") to help stay motivated. I'll be checking back on this thread to see what develops.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
Hi Marcia.....i live in Coppell and finally bought myself the Dear Jane book last year - it has been on my wish list forever. I haven't started working on it yet tho'.

Are you thinking about starting now??....i have kind of a full plate til after the first of the year - what with Christmas gifts to make and all....but you're right, it would be nice to have someone to work along with (even if it was mostly "virtually") to help stay motivated. I'll be checking back on this thread to see what develops.
Hi Penni,
After the 1st of the year would work great for me. And I hadn't thought about the 'virtual' idea. That might work if there wasn't a way to meet together. Another thought is maybe meet initially, get going, and then work individually with maybe meeting occasionally - say once a month or once every 2 months. Anyway, I, too, look forward to seeing if others join in on this. Thanks for your reply.
Marcia in Crowley
Old 08-15-2015, 04:31 AM

Hi Marcia,
I am from the UK (shame -as I run a DJ group here - a bit too far away for you !!!)
BUT - I have visited friends who lived in Grapevine Tx and I found a lady called Barb - who a couple of years ago - was running a DJ group at "Quilters Dream" 6409 Colleyville Blvd, Colleyville, Tx 76034 ( 817 481 - 7105 )
I do not know if she is still running it - but maybe she might be able to help you, ( tell her Dot from the UK
sent you !) LOL.
I have now finished my Christmas Jane and I had the pleasure of meeting Brenda Papadakis ( who wrote the DJ book ) in Quilters Dream a few years ago - such a lovely lady.

Here is a link to my design wall - if you click on any block it will enlarge it and click on the small photo at the top - which will enlarge the finished quilt )

http://www.dotsbjwall.talktalk.net/

There is a BOM on here (Quilting Board ) but very quiet at the moment - maybe you could locate them and start them up again ! Here is a link.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-...242591-25.html

And lastly, ----
This lady Anina has made a tutorial for every block, tri, corner, sashing etc. I do not know her but found her tutorials extremely help. Here is a link to her site

http://thatquilt.blogspot.co.uk/

--- and if you scroll down the page a little - on the right hand side of the page, is a list in green ink - is a list of all the rows and blocks - click on the block you want and it will bring up the tutorial.
I hope this information might help you and I would love to hear how you get on.
Oh by the way - I recently put my DJ into the UK National Quilt Championship and won a Judges Merit rosette - I was thrilled to bits. I also put it into a local exhibition and won a "Visitor's Choice Ribbon "
The quilt took me 7 years to make - with breaks in between - so you can do it. I learnt so much making this quilt and did survive the journey !!!!!
Best wishes for making this wonderful quilt.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:13 AM

Wow, Dotti, thanks for all the info. I looked at your quilt and it is great! You did a wonderful job and deserve all the ribbons you won with it.

I am very familiar with the quilt shop in Colleyville and have been there many times. I will call them and see if they have an ongoing group or plan to start another one. How neat that you met the author of Dear Jane. I need to get on their mailing list so I can see what they are offering. It is probably about 30 minutes from where I live, but in the quilt world, that's right next door.

Also, the links you sent are great. I checked them all out and I think they will be very helpful. If you are following the thread, you can see that only one other person wrote me. Maybe I should have titled the thread something different since I made it seem as though I was limiting it to quilters in my area. I'm so glad you replied all the way from the UK. I hope some others will reply but I am so happy with the 2 replies I have gotten.

Thanks, again. Maybe I will get my courage up to go for it!
Marcia in Crowley
Old 08-17-2015, 11:16 AM

Hi Marcia,
I am glad you found the information helpful !
What a shame you are so near to Colleyville - we could have met up when I came over !!
Our friends have moved to Florida now - so sadly we will not be returning to Texas. !
I have loved my visits and met some really lovely, friendly ladies - I am quite sad we won't be coming back.
Do let me know how you get on and if I can ever help with anything - I'd love to hear from you !
Dot in England, UK.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DottyD View Post
Here is a link to my design wall - if you click on any block it will enlarge it and click on the small photo at the top - which will enlarge the finished quilt )

http://www.dotsbjwall.talktalk.net/
Dottie, congrats on the finish of your DJ. your work is terrific. I did not realize that you can click on a block and enlarge it.