Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
Medicare supplement insurance??? >

Medicare supplement insurance???

Medicare supplement insurance???

Old 02-07-2011, 05:22 PM

Hello, I know this is off topic but I am fast approaching 65. I am trying to decide on supplemental insurance. Are any of you all as confused as I am. Sorry for this topic but hope some more of you are out there :-(
Old 02-07-2011, 05:27 PM

I just helped my mom figure out what Medicare D prescription plan to buy. She has 17 different prescriptions! It was so confusing I nearly lost my mind. After we bought a plan, I found out our Senior Citizens Center has a service for that! You give them your list of medicines and their computer will tell you which plan works the best. Guess where Mom will be next year when it's time to renew?
Old 02-07-2011, 05:28 PM

My mother had a Medicare "Advantage" plan. She still had the medicare cost deducted from her monthly check and also paid a premium ($30/mo) for Blue Cross Blue Shield plan. The BCBS included prescription plan. She paid a $15 copay at the Dr's office. The BCBS was wonderful when she had to go to the hospital. We had very little out-of-pocket expense. I think the dr's tried harder to help her too because her insurance was better than medicare.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:45 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
I found out our Senior Citizens Center has a service for that! You give them your list of medicines and their computer will tell you which plan works the best.
You just go to the Medicare site - it's the same program. They weren't doing anything special; the software is available to everyone. Of course, with 17 rx's, it's might be easier for someone else to do the inputting.

This page has a link for comparing both drug plans (Part D) and Medigap plans. Note that costs for these plans vary by location (even down to county), and in the case of Medigap, the age of beneficiary at time of enrollment.

http://www.medicare.gov/default.aspx...ookieSupport=1
Old 02-07-2011, 05:52 PM

I just turned 65 and have a Medicare D prescription plan, Humana for WalMart. I don't take much medicine. My plan costs $14.80/mo. I also have a supplement plan which pays anything Medicare does'nt pay 100% so I get no bills. That costs $121/mo. When working i only paid $66/mo for health, dental and prescription for my husband and I. I really pay a lot more now!
Old 02-07-2011, 08:44 PM

There is something called SHIP that will help you. Senior Health Insurance Program. Ours is run by volunteers and is housed in the local hospital. They walk you through the options AND they told me which state and government benefits my parents were eligible for and walked me through the paperwork. They dont sell anything or point you to any company...they explain things. The guy was super helpful to me when we had to relocate my Dad last year.

Basically the way I understand it, each company has different options for supplemental coverage. You decide if you want a deductible or not. All the companies' plans are similar you just pick the company.

Then you need drug coverage. This is where it gets really interesting. You have to pick the coverage based on the best deal for the drugs you are taking.

Advantage plans are located in larger areas or areas with larger senior populations. We dont have them where I live. They are basically like an HMO. You get more benefits in network for a lower price but you give up some options. My Dad was on one in FL. Was great for some things. Really, really bad for others. Overall all, it is a cheaper option but be careful to read about things like nursing home stays. That's where we get burned.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:38 PM

i does all seem so confusing
Old 02-08-2011, 09:56 AM

i have a co called United America had it while on disabilty the only one in Fl that handeled it with medicare they are very prompted with paying
Old 02-08-2011, 05:17 PM

I sent you a pm...
Old 02-08-2011, 06:16 PM

Thanks to all of you that replied. I was leaning toward Anthem BCBS but still have lots of researching to do. My husband had escophegeal cancer, now cancer free but I really need good insurance for him. I am pretty healthy but you just don't know. I really appreciate all of you on here. Now get back to quilting!!!! Many Blessings to you all