Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
Mena, AR machine quilting class at RMCC >

Mena, AR machine quilting class at RMCC

Mena, AR machine quilting class at RMCC

Old 03-11-2011, 12:33 PM

Scrappy Machine Quilting Class at RMCC to start on March 16, 2011

RMCC will host another course in machine quilting this March. “If it’s not easy, it’s not fun! I’m bringing the Fun back to Fundamental,” says instructor Stephanie Povey.
If you have always wanted to make a quilt but didn’t know where to begin, you will really enjoy the simple construction methods you will learn in these classes. Even veteran quilt makers will have fun making these quick quilts. Speed piecing is the key to making a quilt top in a matter of days, not weeks. The students will also learn a variety of quilting methods, all sewn on their own home sewing machines. Fancy machines are NOT required; just bring any portable machine to class that can sew a straight stitch.
All classes cover basic construction using a sewing machine, as well as color, pattern and fabric choices. In every session you will be utilizing piecing tips to make blocks that look complicated, but are really simple to make. Veterans are welcome to bring in their UFO’s for completion. Newbies are encouraged to come in and start at the beginning. Regardless of your experience or skill level, be prepared to have a good time.
Required supplies include:
Portable sewing machine: as long as it sews a straight stitch, it’ll do. Bring it to first class along with your fabric scraps. Contact Stephanie if your home sewing machine is not portable.
Supplies: Fabrics (scraps or fat quarters will do for most projects), rotary cutter, cutting mat (at least 18” x 24”), rotary rulers (Olipfa 5” x 24”, and a 6.5” square are recommended), small scissors, seam ripper, pins, thread, hand & machine needles. Other optional supplies include graph paper quad notebook, colored pencils, glue stick, and quilt basting spray.
Other than the sewing machine, students can expect to spend $50-150 on materials and supplies. If you shop from your stash, you probably already have everything you need.
Space is limited, so stop by RMCC and sign up today. Classes begin Wednesday March 16, 2011, 6 to 9 PM, and will run for 8 weeks. Tuition is only $30. For more information, call Maureen Keese at the college: 479-394-7622 ext 1311.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:02 AM

Good Morning, I am extatic that the quilting class is starting so soon. I have everything ready. I even bought a luggage cart to help carry machine and other parafanalia. I will also bring your surprise to class. Also, I probably have plenty of scraps that I will be glad to share with others. I have also been told that I will have a great-nephew due in August. I do not know what his name will be but I am already making clothes for him. Have a great day. Jeanniebelle
Old 03-12-2011, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanniebelle
Good Morning, I am extatic that the quilting class is starting so soon. I have everything ready. I even bought a luggage cart to help carry machine and other parafanalia. I will also bring your surprise to class. Also, I probably have plenty of scraps that I will be glad to share with others. I have also been told that I will have a great-nephew due in August. I do not know what his name will be but I am already making clothes for him. Have a great day. Jeanniebelle
Glad to have you in the class, Jeannie!