Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
Oregon/Washington Quilters Retreat..... >

Oregon/Washington Quilters Retreat.....

Oregon/Washington Quilters Retreat.....

Old 09-08-2010, 01:13 PM

I have never been to a quilters retreat.This is something on my bucket list.Does anyone know of any in the area or how to get info. on them?What do you do at a retreat?Is it a group of strangers or do you have to gather up quilting friends? Cindy
Old 09-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

You can ask at local quilt shops. Often word of mouth, too.
Retreats can be just a group of friends, or folks from all over. Different teachers, and such. Often you share a room with someone, food(most) is included as part of the cost. All have a great time! Sometime there are themes also. Hope you find one you'd like to go to.
An idea: call Jean Wells' quilt shop in Sisters, OR. They may have some ideas for you~
Old 09-08-2010, 04:21 PM

I've been to two different ones in California. These two were set up by the quilting guild of which I was a member. There would be an announcement of the event through the guild. Usually cost about 200.00 per weekend from Friday noon to Sunday - all food included. We slept in a dorm like affair - there were about 125 women at each of the retreats .. and the shower arrangements were just a slice above college gyms. But we had a great time.

We all took our equipment which included our machines, irons, cutting boards and whatever we needed to go with all that. We usually had a "mystery quilt" going, lots of drawings, plus what we were working on individually. There were tutorials given and lots of questions answered. This was all done in a very large room where each of us were at an individual table with enough electricity outlets for whatever we needed. We sewed as late as we wanted - all night if anyone wanted to. And many were up at the crack of dawn sewing in pj's. It was fun.

I didn't know any of the women there, except by sight. There were lots of women there who did know several others and were good friends. But no one was slighted by any other. We all had a good time and I wouldn't hesitate to go on another if I had a chance and the bed was comfy.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

Cindy, the Lebanon guild occasionally has quilt retreats. I haven't been on one. They rent a house that will sleep a bunch, usually at the Oregon beach, and they just take their sewing supplies and have a good time sewing, shopping, and talking. The cost is kept very low because there's no teacher, and everyone shares the cooking (or they eat out).
Old 09-11-2010, 01:02 PM

There's one on Camano Island. Gorgeous setting; shouldn't be too hard to search on since I've seen it advertised several times online and in magazines.