Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
PA--- QUILTERS PLEASE AND RESPOND >

PA--- QUILTERS PLEASE AND RESPOND

PA--- QUILTERS PLEASE AND RESPOND

Old 07-14-2010, 08:38 AM

not a frost but the temps to dip
here in PA that can happen in early september
trees sitting out away from others will change quiker than those in a forest
So even if all the leaves haven't changed you will still see some.
I live in the woods( we don't even have a yard)
start raking leaves about the 2nd week in september and will still be raking until it snows!
Old 07-14-2010, 10:27 AM

Mid October will be the best for the leaves...YES, shops within 100 mile radius...tooooo many to mention. Also in the fall besides football, there are ususally many small and bigger ones too, craft shows, fall festivals etc. A small town New Columbia puts on aa Apple Butter Festival, making their own apple butter and other people come to sell things and music, nice afternoon! Look under pa tourism or google just state college and usually they have an events area. Also google quilt shops and the zip code, you should get some then just keep expanding. You'll have to stay at least 3 weeks! :)
Old 07-14-2010, 11:56 AM

If you like the outdoors and don't mind driving, you might want to check out the "Grand Canyon" of PA up near Wellsboro -- about a 2 hour drive. Great views and overlooks. I bet it's beautiful that time of year. There are some trails there, some long and some kinda short. My family is from the Williamsport area and are huge PSU fans.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:38 PM

Hi,
When in Pa. You have to go to Kountry Kettle Kitchen then to the Amish Quilt shops, Look up on Internet, Lancaster, Pa. Amish Quilts and you will find a ton of places. Plan on spending the day and enjoy the people and sites and crafts.
Willow Valley Family Resort is where you want to stay over night AND eat at Shady Maple in Blue Ball, Pa. We go about two times a year and it is so much fun. Enjoy,
Grum, from N.J.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:44 PM

Lancaster is a good jaunt away. If you want to stay closer there are at least four places that sell fabrics in Mifflin County (where I am) there is another really good one in Huntingdon County. Verna's and Hoovers are a great idea. I love that little shop hop.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:41 PM

Live in southwestern PA -- several miles south of State College. The weather is similiar; but, different. What I read above is correct about the leaves here; but, over the past few years it's not certain. The(local) Shop Hop for me took me north for 3 or 4 shops that (of course) were south of State College; but, I do know in the past I called a couple of the shops there looking for fabric I couldn't find on the Internet and they did have it. If you're looking for quilt stuff in the western part of PA and willing to travel a bit -- there's a lot. (going south towards Pittsburgh) If you're looking to leaves, it depends -- we really have had different times the past few years. Being a life-long resident of western PA (south)it's hard to predick the leaf colors. Last year wasn't great, the year before (at least in our area) was spectacular.

Linda
Old 07-14-2010, 03:30 PM

I believe you will find the following websites very useful in planning your State College trip.

There is also a quaint historical town (Boalsburg) a few minutes from State College that is charming and has a restaurant (Duffy's Boalsburg Tavern) that serves the ambiance of bygone years along with their delicious dishes. In addition, they do have a shop-lined street.

Also, State College University is known for the "Creamery" - do not miss their ice cream!

http://www.statecollege.com
http://www.centrepiecesguild.org/sho...romotions.html
http://www.boalsburg.com/index.html

If you miss leaf-peeping, you will still find the trip enjoyable.

Welcome to PA!
Old 07-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Dee

Usually in Oct. or early Nov.. But depends on the weather and this year has been hurried cuz of the heat.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:12 PM

Just don't plan on going if there is a Penn State football game. It is impossible to get a hotel room, sometimes for miles away from the game site and traffic blocks all the major roads into State College. You will be about 1 1/2 hr to Lancaster County and Gettysburg. The entire south central PA area is full of things to see and do. Amish country is a great place to start for quilting. there are all kinds of little towns with shops. enjoy your trip. Check the Pocono area for great leaf changes and beautiful scenery. They should have a web site and closer to September they will be able to tell you when the leaves will be the greatest display for each region.

s
Old 07-14-2010, 08:21 PM

I was in St. College back in March & they only had 1 quilt shop. There is 4 that is listed but the other 3 are permanently closed.
I'm 45 mins. away from St. college.
Best time, depends on weather, around Sept. early Oct.

turtlerouge