Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/)
-   -   Paducah? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/paducah-t275649.html)

Julie R 02-23-2016 09:47 AM

I know hotels are booked up almost a year in advance (I remember staying at the Hampton Inn one year and they were already circulating contracts for the next year). BUT, having said that, last year, I checked Hotels.com and found a room at the Days Inn just a week prior to the show. I asked the front desk about it and she said they 'block' rooms for regulars (business travelers) and release them right before the show. Hotel isn't 5-star, but was next door to Hancock's of Paducah!! :)

Geri B 02-23-2016 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Julie R (Post 7474609)
I know hotels are booked up almost a year in advance (I remember staying at the Hampton Inn one year and they were already circulating contracts for the next year). BUT, having said that, last year, I checked Hotels.com and found a room at the Days Inn just a week prior to the show. I asked the front desk about it and she said they 'block' rooms for regulars (business travelers) and release them right before the show. Hotel isn't 5-star, but was next door to Hancock's of Paducah!! :)

Yes, stayed there on way back from Florida road trip 4 yrs ago....simple, but clean and was able to visit hancocks and museum before leaving to get back home .....

deedum 02-23-2016 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 7465554)
yes, the expo center is opened to anyone who pays the admission fee. If you are an AQS member, I think the admission fee is less by a few bucks. I don't think there are any other perks for the membership- no discount on class fees or anything else......
the rest of the town/shops - open to all!

I think you get a nice discount on purchase at many of the vendors. At least that is what I found 2 yrs ago when I was there, that it pays to have the membership. Correct me if I am wrong anyone? I didn't get to go last year as I broke my leg the day before. So I was a bit dissappointed and I had paid for my membership already.

deedum 02-23-2016 06:19 PM

I plan to attend, perhaps the end of the event. My dh and I will be in the area so "Yippee"!

melodyr 02-26-2016 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Julie R (Post 7474609)

The Days Inn was in a flash flood last summer and all of the lower rooms got a couple of feet of water in them...they are all repaired and brand new now, so, should be very nice.

melodyr 02-26-2016 09:07 AM

I saw some of you all mention Quilters Alley and sadly, Pat English passed away last week. she was such a sweet lady and a big part of the 'quilty scene' in Paducah, she'll be missed.

The family isn't sure what they are going to do at the moment, but did discuss having a big sale during Quilt Week.

QuiltingVagabond 02-28-2016 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by melodyr (Post 7477512)
I saw some of you all mention Quilters Alley and sadly, Pat English passed away last week. she was such a sweet lady and a big part of the 'quilty scene' in Paducah, she'll be missed.

The family isn't sure what they are going to do at the moment, but did discuss having a big sale during Quilt Week.

Sorry to hear that, that shop was my favorite of the "regulars" in town.

Pat M. 02-29-2016 09:18 AM

I am going, it will be my second time. First time we almost got rained out and the rivers were in flood condition. But, it was great to see all of the quilts.

sewbizgirl 03-20-2016 01:09 PM

I just decided today to go! I booked a room in a B and B. Can anyone tell me where would be a good place to find parking?

cjsews 03-20-2016 01:31 PM

If you don't mind walking you can park at the farmers market area. It is across from the quilt museum. Half way between the convention center and downtown. Nice walk either direction. Maybe a half mile each way