Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/)
-   -   Shipshewanna in June? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/shipshewanna-june-t265368.html)

jillmc 05-19-2015 08:16 AM

Shipshewanna in June?

Has anyone attended this show? It looks very interesting! It would be a weekend road trip-thinking of driving up Friday morning to attend the show, and doing the shop hop on Saturday? Are shops extremely crowded on Saturday? Best places to stay overnight? Thanks!

crafty-kid 05-19-2015 03:16 PM

I was wondering the same thing....each year a couple of us ladies DO something new. Last year we did Missouri Star and took a class with Jenny. Earlier this year we did a bus shop hop, but in the summer we have more time, because we work in the schools.

QuiltingVagabond 05-19-2015 05:35 PM

I am going, but it will be my first time so no advice for you. We had already planned a camping weekend and then I found out about the show!
And the row by row shop hop will be going on by then too, I can't wait!

IraJane 05-20-2015 02:52 AM

I live in the county and usually go to the show on Wed. so don't have any experience with the weekend crowds. There are, of course, hotels and B and B's in Shipshewana, but you will find several motels at the intersection of the Toll Road and highway 9-north of Howe.
Just a note. Near Shipshewana is the little town of Emma. Go south of Shipshewana on highway 5, several miles south of highway 20, and turn left/east at the sign for Emma. It is about a mile.You will find an old time café on the southeast corner of the main intersection. It will not be crowded like the restaurants in Shipshe. Two doors south of the café you will find an Amish fabric store.
On the county road going into Emma is Yoder Popcorn's outlet store.

jillmc 05-20-2015 03:35 AM

Thank you Irajane! Lol....aside from fabric, popcorn is my second vice in life! If my friend can't go, I will take my DH and do a trip during the week rather than the weekend....

sherryellen 05-20-2015 05:31 AM

I went with a couple of quilting friends. We loved it and the food. Anything with chicken was great ( there really is a difference in free range chicken) and the pies. The Show is very traditional not too crowded like Paducah. People are friendly and great. There is much to see and buy.

WMUTeach 05-20-2015 05:38 AM

I have not gone but a number of the gals in my guild have gone and say it is WONDERFUL. We live about an hour from Shipshewanna so it is an easy trip. I have been to many of the shops on the shop hop. There are more shops within 45 minutes than those listed on the hop! The town is fun, simple good eats, good fun, walkable and lots of small shops to catch your interest, Amish goodies and general kindness to all. Stop into Yoder's for both fabric and a step back into time for shopping household items. I hope you get to go!
[h=2][/h]

MarthaT 05-20-2015 06:17 AM

Any day I can go to Shipshe is a good day for me. We have relatives just to the north and to the south of there, so lodging, etc. is never a problem for me. The biggest problem is that I live 16 hrs. away in South Alabama. I sure hope you can go visit that lovely part of the country. If I can only be in town a couple of hours, Yoder's is my chosen stop. I can shop fabric and my hubby can shop the other part of the store. Something for everyone!

SuziSew 05-20-2015 06:56 AM

It's a wonderful time! I live about 10 miles from Shipshee and love going whenever I can. So many great shops to visit and there is always a magnificent display of quilts at the event center. If you come down try to make sure you can take at few days (I've already put in my vacation time from work!) Like WMUTeach said there are many more shops that are near. It's the best part about living in/near and Amish community, so many quilt shops!! :D

If you decide to come, and want to meet up for QB gathering let me know!

Battle Axe 05-20-2015 11:19 PM

I live nearby. Tons of great shops. Call LaGrange County Visitors and get a travel brochure. If the QB has a get together, please let me know. I'm real nice despite my name