Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/)
-   -   Who is headed to Paducah? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/who-headed-paducah-t295660.html)

Onebyone 03-22-2018 11:36 AM

Melodyr, I was there the year the Yo Yo Ladies did the free hand sewn 3D bow tie demo. I loved that. I still make those for a take along project and have made several baby quilts with them. I made a museum donation in their name the next year for all the amazement of others of how did you do that! Many of my guild members went to Paducah that same time and never took the time to watch the demo. I wouldn't show them how to make the blocks for the longest time as I was miffed by their attitude. LOL My advice is to not rush through. Stop and really look at what is going on.

Garden Gnome 03-22-2018 12:34 PM

It's only a couple hours away from me and I've gone twice, but I don't do crowds well, so I was feeling pretty claustrophobic most of the time. Although, I must say the trip down there and back was nice, on a chartered tour bus. And there are several organizations that sell food in front of the big convention center (??) The main building. Handy, and we just found a curb in the sun to sit on.

A friend and I are planning to make a trip to Hancock's of Paducah, sometime other than show week. Melodyr, do you think it would be better to go before the show, or after? I'm thinking they will be so frazzled after the show. I wonder if they will have sales before, like early bird sales.

I just want to say that the city of Paducah really supports this show. The citizens support it and seem to be having such a good time being helpers, giving directions and picking up after us. The restrooms always had an attendant. That impressed me, lol!

melodyr 03-22-2018 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Garden Gnome (Post 8026705)
It's only a couple hours away from me and I've gone twice, but I don't do crowds well, so I was feeling pretty claustrophobic most of the time. Although, I must say the trip down there and back was nice, on a chartered tour bus. And there are several organizations that sell food in front of the big convention center (??) The main building. Handy, and we just found a curb in the sun to sit on.

A friend and I are planning to make a trip to Hancock's of Paducah, sometime other than show week. Melodyr, do you think it would be better to go before the show, or after? I'm thinking they will be so frazzled after the show. I wonder if they will have sales before, like early bird sales.

I just want to say that the city of Paducah really supports this show. The citizens support it and seem to be having such a good time being helpers, giving directions and picking up after us. The restrooms always had an attendant. That impressed me, lol!

You might try the Fall show. Last year was the first one and the crowds were much smaller. There were still quite a few vendors and they had the big pavilion open for them too.

Yes, there are local restaurants that set up just outside the show where you can grab a sandwich...Pattis always comes and they have a grilled chicken with asparagus rice that is wonderful...although, the main building was destroyed by fire earlier this year, so I do not know what their plans are. There's a gourmet grilled cheese vendor, local BBQ joints and the Boy Scouts sell fresh strawberry shortcake.

If you don't want to do the show scene, June is always nice. I don't think there will be any specific sales, but Hancocks always has their bolt-end tables with good bargains. Saturdays is the Farmer's Market with music and horse-drawn carriages.

July and August are hot and muggy.

sewbizgirl 03-22-2018 01:48 PM

Hi Melody and Becky! I am going to try and go to the show this year, but probably won't have time to meet up. I'm on a condensed schedule and will be trying to get everything I want to do, done in two days. Wish me luck. I will keep my eyes out for you and Becky walking around town. We may run in to each other! I really appreciate your help the first year I was at the show. You made sure I didn't miss anything. :D

I'm like OneByOne and love my 'me' time. Now that I know the ropes I'm sure I can scoot around and see and do everything. I missed the show last year and have been dying to go back. Every day I tell my hubby, "I can't wait to go to Paducah!". And I daydream about shopping at Hancocks.

melodyr 03-22-2018 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 8026734)
Hi Melody and Becky! I am going to try and go to the show this year, but probably won't have time to meet up. I'm on a condensed schedule and will be trying to get everything I want to do, done in two days. Wish me luck. I will keep my eyes out for you and Becky walking around town. We may run in to each other! I really appreciate your help the first year I was at the show. You made sure I didn't miss anything. :D

I'm like OneByOne and love my 'me' time. Now that I know the ropes I'm sure I can scoot around and see and do everything. I missed the show last year and have been dying to go back. Every day I tell my hubby, "I can't wait to go to Paducah!". And I daydream about shopping at Hancocks.

I'll pm you my phone# and if it works out, we can meet up for a bit.

KalamaQuilts 03-22-2018 03:14 PM

we are going to the fall show, can't wait, Tell All!

Little Lulu 03-22-2018 04:31 PM

Where is Bonnie's Warehouse located?

Ariannaquilts 03-22-2018 05:41 PM

When is the show? It's probably to late to get a room huh? I would love to go and to meet up Melodyr. I guess I am going to go Google the information I need just in case time is going to be an issue. Thanks for this invitation!

jmoore 03-23-2018 02:24 AM

It is on my bucket list but not this year...I am headed to California beginning of April to babysit my new granddaughter for about a month while my DIL goes back to finish her degree.

Battle Axe 03-23-2018 02:59 AM

You are a wonderful person to be so generous with your time and knowledge. It's not often that you can find a "local" to get the inside scoop when you visit somewhere.

I'm a local around Shipshewana, only eleven miles away. I think I've shopped at every quilt store in the area. Maybe I can get healthy enough to do the same thing when our big quilt show comes in June. We are also gearing up for a Bonnie Hunter visit in 2019. Sounds like a bit farther out than it really is.

Marcia ..... don't let the Battle Axe scare you. It was a moniker from a long time ago.