Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
Quilt shops and/or flea markets in Kentucky?? >

Quilt shops and/or flea markets in Kentucky??

Quilt shops and/or flea markets in Kentucky??

Old 10-13-2010, 05:12 PM

My DH and I are going to take a mini-vacation next week..going to Paducah, KY first of all, since I've never been there. We'll be visiting Hancocks of Paducah and the Eleanor Burns shop and maybe the quilt museum there. I love to visit Amish country, and I saw there is a community in Washington, KY. So, we will be going there, too. Would appreciate any information about quilt shops, flea markets, the Amish, etc in this area. DH is letting me just stop "wherever"......we're just out to see the country and, OF COURSE, quilt shops, etc. It's such a lovely time of the year.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

That sounds wonderful!!! You will love Paducah and yes, this is such a nice time of year to travel.
Have a lot of fun!!!!!!! :D
Old 10-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Sounds like a fun trip. Wish I knew more about the paducah area, I'm 45 minutes sse of there. I'm sure you won't have too much trouble finding quilt shops in Ky. Here in Murray we have a shop called Batiks by design you can find them on the Internet too. I hope you have a fun and safe trip.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:32 PM
np3
Power Poster

Wish I could go!
Old 10-15-2010, 07:42 AM

Fabulous Place, but I would put the museum at the top of the list. You and your husband will have a wonderful time even if you walk around the small town, antique shops, junk shops and hardware stores, small cafes - just a wonderful place.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:15 PM

wow i just got back from there last night i started in Indiana at the covered Bridge festival then traveled to kentucky we stayed at a hotel in Calvert city and had dinner at a place called Miss pattys (it was about a 10 minute drive) this resturant has the best food check it out if you can they have small gift shops all around the resturant you can walk to (but go to the resturant first and get on the waiting list then go look around because at dinner time the wait can be hour long and some of the stores close around 6, the next day we went to hancocks my personal opion was i was not impressed with the place or the prices ( but that is just me) then we went to Eleanor Burns this store was great i spent a hour there she has great prices and the employees were so nice and a great selection (save some money for this place!!) then headed down the street for the quilt Museum it was awesome !! i can say i had a great day in Kentucky and hope to go back again soon !! the sad part was i just missed Eleanor being there by a week !!!!
Old 10-17-2010, 09:12 AM

Penski, thanks so much for this information!! Sounds like you took about the same trip we're planning. :)
Old 10-17-2010, 09:53 AM

great you will have fun i forgot to tell you look around at the hotels in the little info cases with the phamplets that tell you what is going on i found a coupon for 25 % off at eleanor Burns shop i found mine at the resturant it says quilt in a day shop and on the back it has coupon
Old 10-17-2010, 09:59 AM

When you get to Amish country, you will have no trouble finding the quilt shops, at least that's my experience in traveling for a living. If you are in an area that specializes in selling quilts, etc., they are more than helpful in pointing you in the right direction. And, as always, don't miss having an Amish meal.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:02 AM

Oh, yes!!! Those Amish meals are wonderful!!! We ate in an Amish restaurant in Intercourse, PA a few years ago.... OH MY!!!!

And, thanks, I will look for those little pamphlets with the coupons.