Quilt shops on Oahu

Old 01-03-2011, 08:29 AM
BMP

We were there last Feb, I didnt even think to seek out any fabric shops, we were jus too busy enjoying the warmth and sun away from New York State !! Enjoy its a wonderful place!!
Old 01-03-2011, 08:31 AM

did a search and found this thread, maybe something interesting in it for you?
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ng-in-oahu.cfm
Old 01-03-2011, 11:27 AM

I was chatting one day with some one on facebook, her shop is Kona Fabrics, I think. They teach traditional Hawaiian Echo Quilting.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:13 PM

Thanks all for your input. My very patient hubby took me to one of the Fabric Marts. They have an amazing amount of fabric and I did help myself to a bit of it. We also went down into Honolulu to go to The Calico Cat. Mind you..we did check their website to see what hours they are open. It seems they forgot to mention they would be closed this whole week. We consoled ourselves with a trip to the Honolulu Zoo and had a wonderful time.

I thank everyone for their input. This site has the best people in the world!!
Old 01-03-2011, 10:01 PM

I live on Oahu. Fabric Mart is the biggest, with the most stores, and also the cheapest. The others are: The Calico Cat, Kaimuki Dry Goods, Kuni's Island Fabric, The Quilt Hut...and I'm not sure of the rest. Bernina and Viking carry fabric also, but the selection is not that good. 8-)
Old 01-04-2011, 12:09 AM

Oh my gosh. You are lucky. We went there about 4 years ago. I mailed home about 3 boxes of fabrics. They were so much cheaper than So. CA. There were several along with the Fabric Mart. I think I used the phone book. I found some fabric that I had purchased a week before we went and it was several dollars a yard less than what I had paid. The fabrics were beautiful and I've used a lot of them. I have a tropical shirt to make for my husband and some caftans for me. You will love it there.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:33 PM

I'm coming to Hawaii and, while surfing the net, found a photo of a quilt that was part of the 5th annual Hawaiian quilt shop hop in 2013. It is a Hawaiian style wall hanging with roses and hearts, and I just fell in love with it. I was wondering if anyone knows the quilt shop this came from, or where the quilt itself or the pattern can be found. The article and photo are probably copyrighted, so I can't include the photo, but I can give you a link to the article and photo. Any help will be deeply appreciated! For the photo: http://damontucker.com/wp-content/up...2/01/quilt.jpg

For the original article: http://damontucker.com/tag/hawaiian-quilting/
Old 07-30-2016, 12:17 AM

Suggestion---- instead of trying to fit your new fabric into a suitcase & still meet weight limits-- I stopped at the post office, boxed stuff up, & shipped it to myself in care of a neighbor that was home all the time. Was cheaper than dealing with tsa & arrived before I did!! All safe & sound. Have fun & if you get to Kawaii there are some fun shops there too. Look in the on line phone books for shops on all the islands.
sewverybusy1
Old 07-30-2016, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

Yes, Suse and Verna L 's posts is what my experience has been like. Last time I shipped home 4 large flat rate boxes both with fabrics and packaged food items. I also buy yardage at the swap meet at the stadium. Besure to check if fabric is cotton or poly cotton unless you do not care. I really like the Fabric Mart in Pearl City.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 07-30-2016 at 04:39 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:34 AM
Power Poster

this is the hand quilting class you will want to go to. I have gone several times starting at when they still met at the shopping center/mall at Waikiki. Cissy is wonderful! Her dad does all the patterns for the Hawaiian quilts. He is the gentleman in many of the pictures with the quilters and their finished quilts.

http://poakalani.net/hawaiian-quilting-classes-4/