Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
"Precious Memories" My Alzheimers Tribute Quilt >

"Precious Memories" My Alzheimers Tribute Quilt

"Precious Memories" My Alzheimers Tribute Quilt

Old 01-19-2011, 04:19 PM

Beautiful!
Old 01-19-2011, 06:15 PM

Bright and cheerful, it should be very comforting to him.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:36 PM

Awesome quilt Billy! I have never attempted one yet. But I have always admired them.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by NauDeeGal
Awesome quilt Billy! I have never attempted one yet. But I have always admired them.
My dad has alzheimers also. I have been wanting to make him a quilt to help comfort him. I have been thinking of something scrappy because I also want to add diiferent textured fabrics too. I have read that even the feel of different fabrics helps to stimulate alzheimers patients. Thank you for the inspiration to the scrappy quilt design.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:16 PM

The quilt is beautiful, bright and happy. He will love it. I am working on a scrappy type thing to and I know what you mean by stitching, stitching, stitching and it looks like you have not taken a piece out of the scrap bin. Can you imagine how much money in yardage is in those scraps...that is why I cannot throw them away. I love scrapy quilts and I guess I love scraps too. I am working on one similar to yours now and a spider web quilt...having so much fun.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1screech
The quilt is beautiful, bright and happy. He will love it. I am working on a scrappy type thing to and I know what you mean by stitching, stitching, stitching and it looks like you have not taken a piece out of the scrap bin. Can you imagine how much money in yardage is in those scraps...that is why I cannot throw them away. I love scrapy quilts and I guess I love scraps too. I am working on one similar to yours now and a spider web quilt...having so much fun.
I am just like you I love a scrappy quilt to me it takes you back to the roots of quilting which was out of necessity and you used what ever you had on hand.

Billy
Old 01-19-2011, 07:55 PM

Awe Billie that is a Beautiful scrappy and he will love it.
Ditto on the old fashioned way of quilting :thumbup:
Old 01-19-2011, 08:01 PM

This is beautiful. I love scrappy quilts. What a wonderful thing you are doing for your FIL. did you make up this pattern? I love it. Bless you for making him this lovely gift.
Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:09 PM

Your quilt is so bright and cheerful. I'm sure you FIL will love it! I was making a quilt for my mother who was in a nursing home and suffering from cognitive disorders and some dementia. The last time I visited her she did not know me, and I was her only child; very hard. I returned home with plans to make her special activity aprons, adult bibs and most of all to finish her quilt, however she died in July, shortly after my visit, and before I had time to complete the quilt or make the other things. I was so sad not to have finished her quilt, as I know she would have loved it. I think these things are as much of an encouragement to us as a way of dealing with our loved one's disability as it is to them to receive it. The quilt you made is beautiful and conveys a lot of love!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 09:12 PM

Oh Billy that is so bright and Cheery I'm sure it will brighten his day and he will enjoy looking at all the shapes and the colors. So sorry to hear that he has that dreaded disease. I know what your family is going through. My dad died with Alzheimers. In March it will be seven years. I miss him so much. You literally lose them twice. It is really hard on the family. He could never recall my name the last two years, nor my brothers, but Daddy remembered that my DH 's name is Bob and always asked where he was and knew what town we lived in. Daddy referred to my brother who he lived with as the "boy who takes care of me". It's strange he remembered the five grandchildren and could call them by name. My mother passed away with the other dreaded disease Cancer, in Oct. of 1990. Please visit him as often as you can, someimes the smallest thing can trigger his memory. Love them dearly while they are still here with us. Blessings to you and your family. Hugs for making him a quilt and wanting his room to be a reminder of home.