Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 15 Minutes of Play Block

15 Minutes of Play Block

I haven't been quilting, so my bossy mentor suggested that I check out the 15 minutes of play website - and it was fun! I have to admit I don't quite get the entire concept, but I think I will buy the book and check it out. Here is my first block, or "material."

If any of you have an idea of what else can be done, would you share? Thanks much!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nancy Lee

Blog Entries
    i'm not familiar with the concept, but your block is very interesting.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I've not seen this either, but several of these together would make a pretty quilt.

MTS
    Banned
    Victoria has a ton of quilts - her own and from swaps - on her website:
    http://bumblebeansinc.blogspot.com/

Oops, sorry, that was her blog.

Here's her other site:
    http://www.15minutesplay.com/

It's all about making fabric out of your scraps - the itty bitty ones, and then using that to make blocks.
    I have to say she (and her "followers") has come up with some striking creations.

As I toss scraps, it's not quite for me - I don't have the patience - but I certainly can appreciate how well she's marketed the whole concept (and herself) in the quilting world, online and off, over the last few years.
    Last edited by MTS; 11-28-2012 at 07:57 AM.

yes, she really has done well for herself.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Thanks for the added info - I really appreciate it!
    Nancy
    Nancy Lee

Blog Entries
    That is really pretty. Love all the fabrics together.
    It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
    Edmund Hillary

really cool-I have 3 of those fabrics.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Really cool block!

Pretty block, you could make lots more, in scrappy colors, sash or no sash and sew them together. First of all I would press them real good.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Thanks for the nice words and the suggestions! I appreciate it!
    Nancy Lee

15 Minutes

Quote Originally Posted by nancylee View Post
    Thanks for the nice words and the suggestions! I appreciate it!
    Hi Nancy!
    15 Minutes is getting you to Look at your scraps in an new way... I ask people to try to not piece in Straight linear lines as that provides linear thinking... (which is fine for regular sewing (strip sewing)) But if your trying to break OUTSIDE the box, and try new things, they sewing NOTHING, (willy nilly scraps) into something that is USEABLE... The abstract nature of what you have made, HELPS you to think more creatively in how and what will be your next step...

Cut up that piece you made, add in some angles, slash through it, add more directions... Then LOOK at it... in small increments of time, you will start to THINK about what you have made, start to SEE patterns, or color combinations you might not have thought to try... break your creative process down into 15 minutes and really look at what you've made to find confidence in your own choices, and your own quilts...

That's a bit about what 15 Minutes is about... I hope you enjoy the book... It's atool BOOK to inspire you!
    Try something NEW today, even if it's for only 15 Minutes, it grows your TOOLBOX of creative tricks!
    Best to you,
    Victoria

Hi ALL!
    15 Minutes is getting you to Look at your scraps in an new way... I ask people to try to not piece in Straight linear lines as that provides linear thinking... (which is fine for regular sewing (strip sewing)) But if your trying to break OUTSIDE the box, and try new things, they sewing NOTHING, (willy nilly scraps) into something that is USEABLE... The abstract nature of what you have made, HELPS you to think more creatively in how and what will be your next step...

Cut up that piece you made, add in some angles, slash through it, add more directions... Then LOOK at it... in small increments of time, you will start to THINK about what you have made, start to SEE patterns, or color combinations you might not have thought to try... break your creative process down into 15 minutes and really look at what you've made to find confidence in your own choices, and your own quilts...

That's a bit about what 15 Minutes is about... I hope you enjoy the book... It's atool BOOK to inspire you!
    Try something NEW today, even if it's for only 15 Minutes, it grows your TOOLBOX of creative tricks!
    Best to you,
    Victoria

I'm so glad I found this today! I was about to toss my itty-bitty scraps that are too small for anything and mis-matched, but now I HAVE TO TRY THIS!! Especially the 'make your own fabric' part!

Hmm... stick with a color theme, and instant baby quilt??
    Megan
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/K9Creative
    Happiness is a new quilt and an old dog.

Thanks, Victoria! I am amazed that even when I try to get out of the box, I unintentionally end up in the box!! I will do some more of this, cut this up, rearrange and add. Can't wait!!
    Nancy
    Nancy Lee

Victoria,
    Then do these quilters use these in an organized pattern? I think that is what the making of fabrics is about, they can use these for diamonds, or squares, of 1/2 square triangles, etc? Thanks,
    Nancy
    Nancy Lee

That's the beauty! IT could lead you to use it as a "PIECE OF FABRIC" and cut it up into any design of quilt, Or, it may lead you on a FREE PIECING quilt of it's own mind! Let it tell you what the next move is... ;-)
    examples: it could lead you to something entirely free pieced like this:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bumbleb...57625209965761

or:
    use it and enhance it as it is like this:

or:

cut it to fit your traditional blocks...

Possibilities are endless... :-)

Have fun playing!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have never hear of the '15 minutes of play' but I do like your block. Thanks for the nice suggestions. Thanks for posting.

http://www.15minutesplay.com/

Have a great PLAY day!

First time hearing/seeing of this technique...........loving it........ah, another book to buy...off to her site to place my book order!!!!! Then down to my sewing world and dig those scraps out of the trash bag and sew them up and wait for the book to be delivered!!!!!
    thank you, Victoria, for the great new way of not wasting fabric.........

I've followed the blog for a couple of years, and these are very creative women. Look at some of their past challenges to see what I mean. I seem to remember one challenge done in solid fabircs where they interpreted a painting or at least someone else's work. They were quite inspired.

I also remember seeing (somewhere) a quilt someone had made with many green blocks that were done crazy quilt style (started with the 5-sided piece). It just sparkled. Just writing about it makes me want to go start one--off I go Donna

An interesting idea. AQS mag posted a Mile a minute" quilt idea that was very similar about 15 years ago.

Blog Entries
    This is the first I've heard of "15 minutes......" as well. I've been doing this type of fabric play for quite some time, but with very small bits of fabrics, but after checking out the website I have more to experiment with. Thanks for sharing.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Blog Entries
    It's my first time to hear about "15 Minutes" but somewhere I saw a similar concept and I LOVE IT!!! I used the material I made in a baby quilt (of course it was linear) but I didn't have to think about anything. I really love making string/crazy quilts.
    TwandasMom

definitely a new way to look at things

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast