Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
1st Try...Star Points >

1st Try...Star Points

1st Try...Star Points

Old 08-21-2009, 05:50 PM

Hi Marcine. Thank you!

If you want to try something a little different, Rhonda's book is one to buy! To answer your questions: You don't have to use a lot of templates for these blocks, only rulers (or you could use what Rhonda sent you), and you could cut the blocks any size you wish. I did print out the e-book. You just click on "download now" and the book will download onto your computer. It should automatically open up after the download, then you can save it to your computer and print it out.

I hope this answers some of your questions. If I can help any more let me know. Happy sewing! :D :D
Old 08-21-2009, 06:06 PM
Power Poster

Marcine the whole point of my methods is it is easy to do.
The complicated looks is an illusion. It may look hard but it is easy steps. The block is made by sewing two fabric swatches then cut the center one by laying a ruler on the seam on the 30 degree line and trim. Next you sew on the other swatch and place the joined swatches on a cutting mat. Place the template on the fabric and cut out a square from the center. It is easy!

Take a look at this free tutorial to see how the block is made. Try it and see what you think!

http://www.quiltedparadise.com/n/038-oqk.jsp - mouse pad--star point

I created this method because I can't do angles all that well so this is a cheat way to make them! No math involved!
You just make as many of these as you need for the design you choose to make and sew the blocks together like any other quilt.

You can use any size template. I use the 1 1/2" template to make squares that I then sew together into a Quilt Block. Mine come out to be 6 1/2" quilt blocks. You can make these any size you want if you don't want to do them in miniature then use a 3" or 4" template and make a wall hanging or a quilt or whatever.
I just want to share the shortcut because I think it is so much fun to see the little pieces appear when you join the blocks together!

Old 08-21-2009, 08:14 PM

It's really pretty - looks like it's hanging in front of a window with sunlight coming through it!
Old 08-21-2009, 08:16 PM

That is really cool looking! You did an awesome job! :) That would look great anywhere!
Old 08-23-2009, 04:58 AM

Hi Rhonda, Thanks so much for your reply and the great way you have of explaining everything. I didn't realize you have so many e-books. Wow, what a gifted talent you have! I am sure I am going to give it a try. Just trying to decide between Playing with Blocks, or Star Point Blocks. I would appreciate you sending me the templates you mentioned. ( the 1 1/2", 1 1/4" and kaleidescope templates. That is so kind of you to do that.
My address is Marcine Snyder
5110 Melinda Dr.
Madison, Wisconsin 53716

Thanks again Rhonda for your help. :) Marcine
Old 08-23-2009, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

You're welcome Marcine! I wil be happy to send you the templates! I will get them in the mail for you!
Old 08-23-2009, 10:07 AM

Hi again, and thanks for your reply to my questions. I also ask Rhonda, a few questions, so both of you were nice to answer and help. I printed out the mouse pad directions, so going to give it a try. Do you have the "Playing with Boston blocks too"? If so which one would you suggest I start with?
Thanks again, Marcine
Old 08-24-2009, 09:53 PM

You did a fantastic job! The block is beautiful.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Marcine
Hi again, and thanks for your reply to my questions. I also ask Rhonda, a few questions, so both of you were nice to answer and help. I printed out the mouse pad directions, so going to give it a try. Do you have the "Playing with Boston blocks too"? If so which one would you suggest I start with?
Thanks again, Marcine
Marcine if you have the Boston Blocks book you could try starting with a quilt block that is a 9 patch that is there are 9 Boston Blocks that make up the quilt block. That will give you something to try that won't overwhelm you with too many blocks to make and you can get the idea of how to make them.
You could just make 4 Boston Blocks of whatever colors you choose and make a 4 patch quilt block with them. It is all up to you but I would start with only a few blocks to make and get some practice first.
You can use a larger template if you wish. These can be made into a regular size quilt block for a full size quilt if you like.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:54 AM

Please tell me your secret to making points. I was going to make a Friendship Star as the alternate block in a Christmas Quilt I am starting. The blocks are embroidered in Christmas Motifs, and loved the Friendship Star Pattern. Couldn't get the points to not be "sewn off or cut off." Any help is appreciated!
Marta
Your quilt you have shared is wonderful!