Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
4P 2 Strip Scrappy and Mini Tut >

4P 2 Strip Scrappy and Mini Tut

4P 2 Strip Scrappy and Mini Tut

Old 06-24-2014, 06:03 PM

Oh this is beautiful and thank you so much for the directions. I think you are like me--love scrappies but have to keep some semblance of control--or otherwise our world would spin away. I love the subtle patterns on this quilt. Hope you don't mind that I printed off your directions. I really must cut a bunch of leaders and enders. Sure could have used them on my current project.

I had to go back and re read the directions to figure out why you include a photo of your Cha Cha.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:35 PM

Really nice scrappy!
Old 06-24-2014, 07:38 PM

I'll have to try it. Thanks for sharing. Yes--that fabric matches your pooch

One block is 4-patch with plain blocks the other is strips with 4-patch. I think I'd make them in batches of each style and then lay them out.

Your colors are great.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:57 AM

[QUOTE=GingerK;6772860]Oh this is beautiful and thank you so much for the directions. I think you are like me--love scrappies but have to keep some semblance of control--or otherwise our world would spin away. I love the subtle patterns on this quilt. Hope you don't mind that I printed off your directions. I really must cut a bunch of leaders and enders. Sure could have used them on my current project.

Thank you so much, Ginger, for your nice compliments! I appreciate that so much! Yes, I am the same way you are too in trying to gain a little control on the scrappies' colors! I had just bought 'blaze orange' fab and couldn't wait to use it as my highlighting color and it worked well in this quilt. It's nice to scatter the highlighting color that will complement your quilt whatever you choose to highlight it with, but most scrappies need something!

I drew a graph today of the block placement for you and others who want to give this quilt a try. I'll post that diagram in just a few minutes. I noticed JJean replied she would just form big 4P blocks but it won't work that way. Some blocks with 2 4P's have a 2 strip and a plain block in. Anyway, my graph should make it much easier to join the blocks. Plus, putting it on the design wall first diagonally helps you to get proper color placement better.

The reason I posted a pic of my dog's spots is so you could see the close resemblance to the fab my friend gave me and her spots. haha. We could not figure out if it was cow's spots or what, but on closer examination I noticed my dog's spots have what look like a fringe around the spot and that's the way the fabric looks too so we then knew it was dog's spots and not cow's spots. So when I see the fabric, I think about my dog, Cha Cha.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:59 AM

Here comes the pic of my diagram for block placment which should make it easier to put together:
Attached Thumbnails 4p-2-strip-scrappy-diagram.jpg  
Old 06-25-2014, 12:04 PM

Next is a pic of a close up of the quilt's top half where I highlighted for you the way the 2 strip blocks go diagonally down the quilt and intersect with other 2 strip blocks. You can see how a little difference in the 2 dark colors will help the overall appearance of the quilt; otherwise, with both strips really dark, there wouldn't be much differentiation.
Attached Thumbnails all-2-strip-sections-intersecting.jpg  
Old 06-25-2014, 12:09 PM

To scatter a particular color in your quilt, this is what I did: Cut a long 2.5" wide strip of the color of the 4P's you want scattered. You can see I used 'blaze orange.' With an assortment of 2.5" light squares, lay them face down on the strip and sew together just like you would do a 'mile-a-minute' crumb block. Then subcut them into 2.5" sqs. and pair them up with another pair, sew together to make your 4P unit, and scatter them across the quilt. It's an easy way to scatter the color you want to highlight in your quilt. Hope this explanation helps someone!!

Good luck on making this quilt!!! Hope it turns out fantastic! Be sure and share pics for all to enjoy when you finish it! Happy quilting! n2

Last edited by n2scraplvr; 06-25-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by JJean View Post
I'll have to try it. Thanks for sharing. Yes--that fabric matches your pooch

One block is 4-patch with plain blocks the other is strips with 4-patch. I think I'd make them in batches of each style and then lay them out. Your colors are great.

Thank you, JJean, so much! I thought that would be an easy way too, but some of the batches would need a 2 strip and a plain square in them with the 2 4P's so you'd have to be careful there!

Please check out my diagram of block placement I drew today and hopefully that will make it easier, but whatever way you try it, I hope it turns out fantastic! It's a fun block for lots of different colors and fabrics!!
Old 06-26-2014, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

great scrappy!!!