Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
729 3 1/2 inch squares....would I do it again? >

729 3 1/2 inch squares....would I do it again?

729 3 1/2 inch squares....would I do it again?

Old 10-20-2012, 04:01 AM

Simply amazing! What a creative lady you are and obviously you love him very much!
Old 10-20-2012, 06:06 AM

So cool, Love the design!
Old 10-20-2012, 06:27 AM

Momyar,
Love your quilt, with a question. Would this work as a scrappy quilt, as long as there was a distinct contrast? Do you
know how detailed the message can be?
Old 10-20-2012, 06:31 AM

How nice!! And, such a neat idea.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:07 AM

Your quilt is both clever and beautifully executed!
Old 10-20-2012, 07:07 AM

What a clever quilter you are!! The smaller picture works on my phone, I saw the message. Great idea, thanks for sharing
Old 10-20-2012, 07:12 AM

IMHO you made a perfect quilt! Absolutely love it!
Old 10-20-2012, 08:16 AM

He must be a GREAT husband! I don't think I had one that was ever worth that kind of effort! Haha! Seriously, that is fantastic!
Old 10-20-2012, 10:26 AM

Absolutely amazing! You knocked my socks off with this one. My son is majoring in Computer Science and has said he'd like to get a QB code tatoo. Maybe if I made him a quilt he'd give up the tatoo idea...
Old 10-20-2012, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Momyar View Post
I have been doing charity quilts recently. In fact, about 90% of my fabric is for charity quilts. My husband has a couple of times said, "where's mine?" while I've been quilting.

I'd alway ask him what color quilt he wanted. He never answered me. So what's a wife to do? Especially if he's the kind of guy that does nothing but work. Doesn't play golf, fish, hunt, read, etc. He only works!

I was on pinterest and saw a QR code quilt. For those that don't know what a QR code is it's that 1 inch black and white square you see on packages. If you use a bar scanner it will give you information, take you to a web site, or have a message.

I decided to do him a QR code quilt with the message being "I love you George!". I decided instead of black and white I'd do a dark blue and white. Went to a QR code creator and typed the message it and it came back with the code. I then drew lines to make a grid. Bought 4 yards of white and 4 yards of dark blue.

Started cutting out 729 3 1/2 inch squares! 410 White and 319 blue. I double, triple and quadtruple checked my rows as I went. I sewed 6 rows together and then 7 rows. Then sewed both of those together. Then I did 2 sections of 7 rows and sewed those together and then sewed the 13 rows and 14 rows together. Only thing I would do differently is iron the sections before sewing them. Was too big to iron after the top was completed.

I used a different blue design fabric for the backing. Knowing I was going to have to piece the backing I took some of the leftover squares and made one row and sewed it between both pieces.

OH!!! I forgot to tell you I was making this on a Bernina 440QE that only has a 7 1/2 inch harp! The quilt measures something like 81 inches by 81 inches! I quilted the quilt on my machine. I started in the top right hand square and quilted to the bottom left hand square and then turned the quilt and started in the square next to the first one. And sewed down the squares without any stitching (make sense)

After giving it to my husband he was quite pleased. He's head of an off shore banking software development company and sent a photo of the quilt to see if they could figure out what it said. One of his guys used his phone and scanned it and it worked!!!

Next time, if there is a next time, I'll definitely make the squares smaller!

Thanks for looking!!!

This is incredible! Your quilt is beautiful!
I have a husband like you, not hobby only work! Up is called Jorge (George)!
You gave me an original idea for our anniversary, but it is in December, I have little time!
Many thanks for sharing!
A big hug!