Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advice, Ideas, Input Needed: What to do with these ?!?!?!?!

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries

Advice, Ideas, Input Needed: What to do with these ?!?!?!?!

IM a scrapper thru and thru.. Im not a quilter who follows patterns and most of my quilts are oopsies.. Ive created what Ive seen in pics and usually add my own lil flair to it .. Or Id have a wild hair and decided to create what i envisioned- never turns out what i originally envisioned.. Sound familiar?!?!?...

I was doing some mindless sewing and now IM asking for Ideas, Advice, and pictures for what i should do with hundreds of 2x2 four- patch squares... Im pretty visual so if there's a pic of the entire quilt please post.. I dont do well with just a block pic, I guess i just dont see the path its suppose to lead me on.. lol..

Anyway If you have any ideas or suggestions please comment... I didnt have anything in mind for these lil guys and quite honestly I do not need another UFO hanging around.. My limit is 18 UFO & WIP's !!! lol..

HELP !!!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

What about a random scrappy quilt? Just mix them all up, randomly pick them up and join them together? Or you could border them with plain fabrics of various colours and then join them up? Or how about an Irish chain quilt 4 of these together as one block and then a plain block of the same size etc. Sorry I haven't any pictures. Best wishes.
    Patchwork Crazy!!!

You could alternate with plain blocks that are the same size or just sew them together to make 12" blocks and surround them with black to pop the colors.

something like this?
    Patches and pinwheels.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    i like debrak's quilt. but my thought was this'
    Name:  4patches w plain alt squares.BMP
Views: 3770
Size:  911.2 KB
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

looks like you got your job cut out for u and thank you for sharing. The above ideas are terrific
    Have a Blessed day
    Ellen

I'm working on a bag, then a box of 2" squares that were given to me. I'm making 4 patches right now. After that I square them up since I didn't cut the 2" squares and there is some variation. Then I plan to put a 1" border all the way around in a constant color, finally I will make that block a square in a square(triangles all the way around). These will be scrappy again. I'm thinking when I sew these together I'll get a nice secondary pattern. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
    something like this?
    Patches and pinwheels.
    Scrappies normally make me dizzy - but - I REALLY like this one!

make a jewel box , those would be great for that.

I really like both of the visuals, good luck and post a pic when finished I would love to see it finished.

Quote Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
    something like this?
    Patches and pinwheels.
    Beautiful scrappy.

luvTooQuilt, There are a lot of us "don't follow patterns" people out here. I just did a quilt of 5" blocks making fun of a friend who uses microscopes in her work. I'd love to see some of the things you've done in the past. When you make quilts w/o patterns you will come up against problems every now and then, but maybe they aren't really "problems", maybe they make your quilt unique and more like quilts have been historically.

Have you ever studied Gee's Bend quilts? Some of them are fantastic and they were all pieced in someone's lap by hand and are NOT "exactly" whatever (quilt police probably hate them), but they have movement and a beauty that some of the fantastic quilts you see on this board don't (they have the beauty of precision and elequence and more). People who do not follow patterns produce quilts which have a different "feel", a different perspective.

My "patterns" are from my thinking (meditating) about who the quilt will go to and that leads me to some idea, sometime pictorial, sometimes simple design. Some are better than others, but they have been accepted with delight for whomever they were made. Sometimes I just make a quilt w/o anyone in mind and those usually go to our churches fall blanket drive.

I've never done a random quilt totally randomly... just can't stop myself from seperating those two similar reds from each other.... but the idea is still valid and it can be a lot of fun. I lay squares out on the ping pong table (sorry kids) until I like it, and then come back the next morning and make some changes and sew up the rows. I'd post some pictures but everytime I've figured it out either QB or my updates change the process and it's too complicated for me. I'll stick to quilting! Have fun (maybe that's the key). Sierra

How about a thin black sashing between random blocks to make it pop.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

How about cutting a bunch of neutral blocks (maybe a slightly off white muslin or a slightly off white tone on tone) the same size as your 4 patches, alternate the blocks and set everything on point? I'm suggesting just slightly off white for the neutral as that seems to be the prevailing neutral in your colors and it would brighten up the quilt itself as you have quite a few darks and mediums. I can't tell how many 4 patches you have, but I would think you have enough for a small baby or childs quilt (non traditional colors, but would still be great). Set on point, it would add that little extra pizzazz to the whole quilt. Especially if you did a prairie point edging on your border or maybe did a scalloped border. You have a nice scrappy collection of blocks there - would be beautiful.

Had to add, once I read Gabeway's response (another great idea!) - you could do a thin (maybe 1 inch) inner border of the black and then the regular border, too. It would frame the entire quilt. I adore scrappies, too -- and I don't do patterns most of the time, but do as our ancestors did and make use of what I have. Those who receive the quilts have always loved their quilts.

I saw a pic the other day, sorry don't remember where, of a log cabin that started as a four patch, then the logsnwent around it. Was really great looking.
    Jeanann

Theres nothing wrong with me a little chocolate won't fix.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t213026.html This is from luvTooquilt, and I hope that she doesn't mind that I reposted it and I hope the link works. Here is a scrappy that I just found a day or so ago. Since your squares are small, you can actually make the blocks whatever size you want. I also am just a visual quilter. I see a picture, print it off and figure out the pattern. I also was given 4 large tubs of cut squares, ranging from 2 inches to 4 inches, and am finding so many ways to use them up. I have made 5 quilt tops already, barely making a dent in the stash, and loving every minute of it. Love to see what you come up with.
    Last edited by spartan quilter; 02-06-2013 at 06:20 PM.
    A home is built of peace and love,
    and not of wood and stone,
    a place where happiness lives
    and memories are sewn.

I saw a quilt that looked like a Tetris board. Maybe something like that.

Any scrappy pattern would be nice.

How about a scrappy Jacob's Ladder.

Blog Entries
    This is what almond did with some small squares. Especially like the second one.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t194450.html

Check Bonnie Hunter's site

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/p/free-patterns.html

4 Patch and Furrows
    Patches and Pinwheels

Do a google search with "4 patch quilts" in the search engine. Then pick images. This will show you quilts as well.

Check out this quilt by n2scraplver

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t175057.html
    Last edited by oksewglad; 02-06-2013 at 08:39 PM.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

You're getting great ideas here. I was lovin the one with pinwheels then I followed the last link oksewglad posted where your four patches make the corners of each block and I like it too.... I can't wait to see what you do.
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

Or you could make 9 patch four patches and put a sashing in between..
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

You could just sew all the 4 patches together and make a postage stamp quilt like this one: Name:  IMG_8936_1024.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  406.3 KB
    1951 Singer 301A - "Jean"
    1958 Singer Featherweight - "Verna"
    2009 Janome 4100QDC - Nameless

Blog Entries
    Luvtooquilt
    Is it because you do not want to make 2 of the same pattern? I just realised that the one I am planning to make with my four patches that I am sewing as leader-ender (is it how it is called) is after a picture I printed of one of your quilts lolll
    I love the visual effect of four patches and neutral fabric
    very inspiring, I find
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t197772.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast