Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice please...

I am making this quilt for a charity...problem is that I started out thinking it would be just a lap quilt to donate to cancer patients, so I didn't make the braids very long - almost all fabrics came from my stash. But then we decided to use it as a raffle quilt for our group and now I am wondering if it is big enough. It measures approx 60 x 72 with borders (4") included.
    I wondered about extending it with a fancy border , but did't want to distract from the braids too much....also, I only have bits and pieces of fabric from the braids - some more and some less - so I wouldn't be able to include them all. I had to get a different purple for the dividers, and added a row to the braids to include, but now that the dividers are on, I dont want to extend the braids themselves...

what do you all think? Thanks....
    Attached Images Attached Images

np3
    Blog Entries
    I love it. I would just finish it the way it is. French Braid Quilts are my favorites.

Blog Entries
    60X72 is a nice sized lap quilt, I would continue with your original plans :D:D:D
    It is a beauty!

It's beautiful! Finish it as is and be proud! You've done a lovely piece of work.:thumbup:

That is really pretty. I think the size with the borders will be a nice size. The borders really set it off nicely.
    Are you selling tickets for the raffle? :-D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katmom54
    I am making this quilt for a charity...problem is that I started out thinking it would be just a lap quilt to donate to cancer patients, so I didn't make the braids very long - almost all fabrics came from my stash. But then we decided to use it as a raffle quilt for our group and now I am wondering if it is big enough. It measures approx 60 x 72 with borders (4") included.
    I wondered about extending it with a fancy border , but did't want to distract from the braids too much....also, I only have bits and pieces of fabric from the braids - some more and some less - so I wouldn't be able to include them all. I had to get a different purple for the dividers, and added a row to the braids to include, but now that the dividers are on, I dont want to extend the braids themselves...

what do you all think? Thanks....
    I think the border looks good if you have eenough of it. I've been thinkin about using my strips to do one but haven't yet. It look really good like it is.

Love the border and I think the size is just perfect.

It is stunning. and YES it is a great size. A 5' X 7' is plenty big to make a statement as this one does, lots of pretty!, and it is a wonderful sofa throw size. Most of us are kinda/sorta on the wider than a lap quilt size when we curl up on the couch for comfort. You are a great quilter. Much success with your raffle. Wish I had a ticket!

Blessings,
    Ruth

OOPS My mistake it is a 5' X 6' and still plenty big to fill all the features needed.

R

It's beautiful - I would just add borders to get to the desired size - keeping them simple.

maybe a dark purple border about 6 inches would make it a bit bigger. but it looks fine.

Power Poster
    The border that you have there is great. Do you have enough purple to do the binding?

Looks great, I think that is a perfect size, it really is beautiful just like it is.

I think it's wonderful the way it is.

Blog Entries
    I think it's spectacular and would definitely buy raffle tickets for it! :D

It's beautiful! a dark binding and it is done.

I love it just the way it is.. I say finish it and raffle it off that way. The colors are really terrific.. Beautiful!

Blog Entries
    It is big enough for me to nap under. That means it's perfect. Love the colors. I'd just finish it the way it is.

I really like it like it is..love the colours together

Just finish it, it is so pretty and sure to make money...

thanks everyone...it was a fun pattern and so easy...wish I had extended it a little, but will just have to do that next time around.
    I do have enough purple to bind..that is my plan..and have enough of one of the other fabrics to finish the backing off. No w I need to decide what to do about quilting...I have little to no experience in machine quilting and don't want to try on this one - I think it is too pretty to screw up....maybe can make a good deal with someone local since it is for a good cause...Comforting Blankets...donating blankets to cancer patients
    ..IF any one is interested in helping out with this organization please see my post earlier. You can find it at
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-45781-1.htm

as always, all your wisdom and interest was welcome and helpful...

That's beautiful! I think it is a nice size and would just go with your original idea.

I like it the way it is. I wouldn't try to make it bigger. I'd like a purple binding on it.

It's beautiful

Blog Entries
    A beautiful quilt! maybe add one more wide border and do somw great quilting in it. But is is great just the way it is. I'd buy some raffles for it!

It's beautiful just like it is. Purple is my favourite colour and this one is gorgeous.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast