Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Advice from the pros - If possible. >

Advice from the pros - If possible.

Advice from the pros - If possible.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:56 AM

Ok, this is probably a wordy post, but I need to ask a major question on this quilt. First of all. This is just on my design wall. The center is finished, and I am trying to add borders. I know I need a few more dots, and several more leaves, but I am trying to figure out how to get the curve and spiral in the corners to come out even. I don't know how to design a template for the corner stones. Can somebody please, please advise me. I know I only need it in one direction, then I can flip it over. All the border stuff in the pics is just pinned right now, so I know it doesn't look finished. I want this quilt to be just right so badly, it is for my living room wall. Thanx a bunch
Judi
Attached Thumbnails attachment-98750.jpe   attachment-98751.jpe  
Old 08-17-2010, 10:58 AM

It is beautiful. I'm not sure how to help you. Hopefully someone else will be able to (I'm at work and can't spend the time to think)
Old 08-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

oh so pretty, i did something along those lines a few yrs back, cursed up a storm too. I just kinda made it random to add to the playfulness of the idea, it came out looking great your's is so pretty i also cut my vines,stems on the bias stitched down raw edges and folded over and hand stitched down in place
Old 08-17-2010, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

If you make two templates one long and one short, you can draw on them with a sharpie. Temporarily tape them together at a 90 degree angle.
Plan and draw out your designs in pencil, then trace with a black sharpie and then lay it under the borders for your applique placements. You can turn it for the other two sides. Then all 4 sides should be perfectly the same.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:36 AM

There is a bendable curve tool that might help. I have used it for vines and they were nice and smooth. By the way, your quilt is beautiful.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-98761.jpe  
Old 08-17-2010, 11:45 AM

You guys are sooooooooooo awesome. I am on my way to LQS to find the Flex-A-Shape. and I have plenty of grid paper, and lots of Freezer Paper. This might get finished yet. Thanx again
Old 08-17-2010, 11:47 AM

Amma. any suggestion as to how to get that curly part even and make the curve look natural?
Old 08-17-2010, 11:57 AM

Your white background looks like you can see through it. Draw the vine swirl on paper and then place it under the background & you can then use lots of fine pins to place your vine on the background fabric. If you cut your vine fabric on the bias, it should bend around the curves easily.

I do lots of floral quilts that come with patterns. I place the pattern under my background fabric to get the placement right when doing stems, leaves, & flowers.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:11 PM

Just a thought, why not trace it on some greaseprrof paper and then flip it, you can do the top and the bottom that way.

Hope that helps, you dont have to spend any money thenī

Elle
Old 08-17-2010, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

What a beautiful quilt!!! :D