Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: almost forgot this quilt

I saw someones quilt on here with some of the same fabric and remembered this one. Its a couple of years old. tried to show some of my hand quilting hope it shows up
    Attached Images Attached Images

WWWooooowwww!!!! Very nice! I love hearts anyway! The hand quilting is awsome!! Very nicely done. :D :D :D

Beautiful work. The quilting looks perfect.

Kyia

That is beautiful. I like the country look, and anything that is hearts appeals to me. That hand stitching must have taken you a decade!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    That'a wonderful!! I rarely see a heart pattern I like--I want it to really look like a heart. Yours is perfect! :!: :!: The quilting is amazing. How do you find the patience????

I have some of those fabrics!! But then again, since it's so scrappy, I bet most of us have one or two. :wink:

I love your quilt. Your hand stitching is excellent. I am in awe.

aah patience, yes, well i am not sure how much I have of that but since my machine quilting doesnt even actually qualify as such, its hand quilting for me.I am such an instant gratification kind of person that it is a test for sure. I really do enjoy doing it, but i still have a lot of trouble with consistancy in stitch size and it is deffinately one of those things I have to be in the mood for :lol:

Lovely work, thanks for sharing, I love seeing hand work.

Wow I would never have the patience to hand quilt. Your looks great. I love the hearts. What pattern did you use. I have a lot of scraps and would like to make one of these? Thanks for sharing.

I got the basic block pattern from an episode of simply quilts with Debbie Mumm, I think it was called Broken Heart Block, but dont remember. I enlarged the size and added sashing and border. I think on the show they just did a pillow.But it is very easy and quick, fun to do!

Mgshaw- What a beautiful quilt! Your hand quilting is gorgeous. I am a new quilter and I am working on my very first quilt; a wall hanging. It is a surprise gift for my parents 40 wedding anniversary. (My mom is a wonderful quilter so I really would like for it to look at least decent!)

What kind of tips can you give me for hand quilting for the first time? Should I use a frame or hoop? What do you suggest that I do to practice before I start on the real deal? Any tutorials or books you could recommend to me to learn the technique

Any advice/coaching would be very appreciated!! Thanks!

I love the hand quilting. Did you freehand the design or use a template? Either way it's fabulous!

It is so nice - love it!

thank you dutchgirl. gosh i dont really know what to tell you. I am pretty well self taught other than watching "simply quilts" when it was on.So anyone with any advise please jump right in.
    As for hoop or frame. I use a hoop, I do have a frame but I cant seem to get the hang of quilting away from myself. You will just have to see what works best for you. The main tip i can think of is keep your fabric loose in the hoop or frame and when you are rocking the needle up and down go all the way up to a verticle position with your needle, it does make a difference.What i have always heard is dont worry so much about stitch lenght at first just try to get consistant in length. Make sure you have a thimble that fits well, and again find one that works for you.)there are many many kinds out there) mostly just practice, practice, practice.I made up several small quilts (24"x24")just plain fabric and practiced on those before i did any real quilts
    Again anyone else please give any info you have

kinkajou, I used a template lordy I dont have the talent for freehand but thanks!

Your quilt is just so cute! I love it! I'm a hand quilter too, for the same reason you are--my machine quilting is the pitz! But when I've completed a project, I really feel like I've accomplished something!

As much as I hate to admit it, though, I think that if quilters in the old days had had machine quilting available to them you can bet the farm that they would have used it!

I agree Harmony, on all counts.
    I have thought about sending mine out to be quilted but I guess its kind of like my kids,I have a hard time letting go

Blog Entries
    Beautiful Quilt :D Awesome Quilting :D

lin
    Now that's a quilt!! From the scrappy look to the fabulous!!!! handquilting. That's the kind of quilt that got me interested in making quilts myself, and it will probably always be my favorite type. Lots of fabrics, homey, comfy, and all quilted by hand. Ya just can't beat it. :D

Thanks lin!! oooh good topic, what got you started in quilting? You could start us off.

That's really pretty! I like it!

OMG your stitches are sooo tiny! If I live to be 100, mine would NEVER looks so nice!

Blog Entries
    ohhhh, how pretty! I love the patttern and your choices for fabric are terrific! I love to hand quilt and you did a beautiful job!

Blog Entries
    I love to turn my quilts over and look at the back. I did a candlewick quilt one time and the quilting was apparent on top. I hand quilt most of the time but swear I'm going to machine it next time as it takes sooo long sometimes to finish. and the fingers get sore.

Izy
    You have a fantastic job on this quilt...your hand quilting is exceptional and the amount you added is amazing :D :shock:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast