Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Another Diversion and a little memory trick >

Another Diversion and a little memory trick

Another Diversion and a little memory trick

Old 04-30-2013, 06:59 PM

Appreciate your info on the layout of the Cross. I can just see me changing out prints and then it would take me forever and ever to finish. Am tempted to give it a try.....some day!!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:10 PM

Love the rhythm and rhyme of it and the design is just beautiful. Congrats!
Old 05-02-2013, 12:19 PM

who ever posted the first pic has started something! I'm cutting cutting cutting. Yours Rosyhf is going to be a beauty!
Old 05-02-2013, 01:03 PM

Ok, I finished that one piece of 60 by 48, now I will make a 12x60piece and add to the side. I love this quilt. I than k Ube for starting this quilt and inspiring me. I will be using just what's left of the squares and only cut more if I have to.

I can see that toward the bottom of the quilt it is a bit not square up, so I will fold it in half and put that side on the ironing board and spray starch and steam press to stretch that area. the squares and seams are all correct, so it will work.

I hope to finish adding that addition today so I can return to the SIP quilt that is waiting.
Attached Thumbnails half-charming.jpg  
Old 05-02-2013, 03:35 PM

Your quilt is so cute. I've bookmarked this thread so I will remember where to find your clever method.

.....would anyone be interested in a swap for "Charming sets"? A few of us are wondering.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:11 AM

Default Scrap Cross Quilt

I have just finished the top. It is now 60x60. a nice wall hanging. Here are some pointers for those who would like to do this quilt, for a 60x60 with 2.5 inch squares.

1. Try to lay the entire quilt on your board before sewing.

2. Sew the quilt in blocks of 10x10 across the quilt, in other words, 10 squares down and 10 squares across. That is if you are making a 60x60 size, Sew the squares in rows across and then sew the row together to form one 10 x10 block (the block will actually measure 10.5 for the seam allowance).

3. Block each block of 10x10 by spraying with starch and steam with up and down motion into a 10 1/2x10 1/2 block, this will make sure that your quilt is square.

4. You then have your choice of sewing the large blocks in rows across and joining the rows or sewing them down in sections and then joining sections.

5. I will add a 1 inch border, cut on the straight of grain, so it will end up being 1/2 ins. This is to keep the quilt square. I will add another pic after it is quilted and bound.

This was a fun quilt to do and a great diversion for me. Now I must get back to SIP and finished that, this weekend. If you have any question, please ask me now while it is still fresh in my memory.
Attached Thumbnails done.jpg  
Old 05-03-2013, 10:57 AM

Rosy it's just beautiful. Thank you for all your tips!
Old 05-03-2013, 11:42 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I've never seen a quilt like this but I really, really like it. I like your story on how to do the top row. It makes sense. It's really an attractive quilt. I love scrappy quilts very much. I've made so few of them - maybe two in my lifetime. I would like to do what someone else said - use 5" blocks and make this. Would it be too big? The blocks being 5"? And what about using a jelly roll? I have so many jelly rolls that I need to use up. Would one jelly roll make a quilt like this?
Old 05-03-2013, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by SheriR View Post
Rosy it's just beautiful. Thank you for all your tips!
Thank you Sheri. Here is something neat about this quilt. As I am looking at it, I see a bunch of pink, blue, red, green crosses, these are from my dear friend Sandy. Then there are some greeny, peachy, pinky, yellow small prints and those are from my friend Karan in S, Carolina and then a few from my friend Elaine. So to conclude, I seem to have a bunch of friends in all my scrap quilts lol.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:50 AM

Rosy I love that thought.