Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Another DWR wall hanging >

Another DWR wall hanging

Another DWR wall hanging

Old 12-10-2009, 03:26 PM
pal

Joanie, I keep looking at your picture and it looks like
your roses are appliqued and the leaves are embroidered. It's really hard to tell in the photo. The piece is really
beautiful. I'd like to know a little more about it.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by pal
Joanie, I keep looking at your picture and it looks like
your roses are appliqued and the leaves are embroidered. It's really hard to tell in the photo. The piece is really
beautiful. I'd like to know a little more about it.
The roses are in the fabric (they are just mofits). On 2 of them I quilted around the complete roses and leaves. On the other 2 I quilted the whole rose (inside and out), so on the back it looks like it was just a quilting design. I used a high loft batting, which I really didn't realize I bought, but I loved how it pillowed it out. My Mom picked out the fabric and we got it at Joann's. I do not now the name of it, sorry. I am glad you liked it.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:26 PM

Joan, that is so neat. Are you making them for gifts, or for yourself?
Old 12-11-2009, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Sheila Elaine
Joan, that is so neat. Are you making them for gifts, or for yourself?
Thanks, I have made 5 of these where 2 of them were table runners and 3 were wall hangings and I kept one of them. Well, back to work I go... :)
Old 12-11-2009, 06:06 AM
Banned

That is so very pretty
Old 12-11-2009, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by pal
It's really beautiful. But what's a DWR??????
Double Wedding Ring
Old 12-11-2009, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Swan Song
I am in Arlington and yes the one in my avatar is a "Rings that Bind". It is the one I gave as a wedding present. Close ups of it are in this thread:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-17743-1.htm

The second one is just 3 fabrics and has been less frustrating. I don't know how soon I will attempt a crazy quilt. It was fun to do the embellishments but the actual squares gave me fits.
Swan Song.. I went back & looked at your block (gorgeous by the way) but just wondering..how do you do that type of crazy quilt center. I've only done the one with a 5 sided shape, then sew strips in a clockwise pattern till the square is filled. thanks.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:05 AM

LOL That block is called "I have no clue what I'm doing". I started with a random piece of fabric and added around it to fill the square the size I needed. I was trying to make the squares different but they turned out very similar since my mind doesn't like random. I then turned them and tried to use the embellishments to make each look unique. I kind of figured there was no right or wrong just "design opportunities". It got to be fun after I got the blocks finished and started to embellish them.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Swan Song
LOL That block is called "I have no clue what I'm doing". I started with a random piece of fabric and added around it to fill the square the size I needed. I was trying to make the squares different but they turned out very similar since my mind doesn't like random. I then turned them and tried to use the embellishments to make each look unique. I kind of figured there was no right or wrong just "design opportunities". It got to be fun after I got the blocks finished and started to embellish them.
ok.. so it WAS just a square that you added "strips" of fabric on to till the square was filled, right?... That's why I LOVE Crazy quilts.. they are soooo random. You don't do the same thing all the time.. you can cut pieces, sew pieces or go back & embellish the blocks that are finished.. and then... start on some more LOL. I was so pleased with the one I did a few yrs ago.. I do have to figure how to post a picture & send it for all to view.. and there is also a pretty neat story behind it.
Fannie