Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Hand Made Quilt from Old

what a beautiful quilt, truly a work of 'heart' . Your DIL is sooo lucky to have it and so lucky that you took the time to help restore it to it's former beauty. Thank you both for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by watson's mom
    what a beautiful quilt, truly a work of 'heart' . Your DIL is sooo lucky to have it and so lucky that you took the time to help restore it to it's former beauty. Thank you both for sharing.
    So now my next question is this...she has asked me to make a label for the back with what little info we know ie. who made it, where it was made (Wheeling WV), when (somewhere between 1922& 1945). What is the best way to go about this? I assume hand stitching on as old of fabric as I can find hand stitched to the back corner. Is this right? Or should I make this a new topic?

Blog Entries
    What a beautiful treasure she has!

Thanks for the pictures. It's beautiful. Your DIL will be thrilled.

I would make a label w/info trhat I knew to be true, perhaps when she lived, instead of when she made it,if you don't know that. I would PIN IT W/ SAFETY PINS(sm), vs sewing it , as I've read alot lately that the age of a quilt is based on the NEWEST fabric & thread. I wouldn't chance de-valuing it! VERY PRETTY!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilt crazee
    I would make a label w/info trhat I knew to be true, perhaps when she lived, instead of when she made it,if you don't know that. I would PIN IT W/ SAFETY PINS(sm), vs sewing it , as I've read alot lately that the age of a quilt is based on the NEWEST fabric & thread. I wouldn't chance de-valuing it! VERY PRETTY!!!
    Good point; didn't think of that. Thanks for the advice. Do I have to worry about the safety pins doing damage to the fabric? And she (my DIL) has another quilt from her grandmother on the other side of the family, that she has actually used and wants me to look at. She says it needs some repairs. I think it just needs some stitching up; will hand stitch it if need be. A subject for another thread.....

Blog Entries
    A very lovely quilt! A treasure for sure ;)

Banned
    a credit to the past-----superb

Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Good point; didn't think of that. Thanks for the advice. Do I have to worry about the safety pins doing damage to the fabric? And she (my DIL) has another quilt from her grandmother on the other side of the family, that she has actually used and wants me to look at. She says it needs some repairs. I think it just needs some stitching up; will hand stitch it if need be. A subject for another thread.....
    Could you just baste the label on with fairly large stitches to make it easy to remove? I would worry that pins could wear or tear holes in the fragile fabric. Just a thought!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dyer804
    Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Could you just baste the label on with fairly large stitches to make it easy to remove? I would worry that pins could wear or tear holes in the fragile fabric. Just a thought!
    That's why I asked. Thank you all. I am new to this "old quilt" stuff. You guys seem like you are experts. While I have been sewing for over 60 years, I am relatively new to the quilting thing. I have always had a love for the old quilts and fabrics. I just want to make sure I am doing things right, don't want to de-value anything.

What a beautiful quilt. I'm glad to see you could help.

Blog Entries
    SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have never seen anything like that. It is just gorgeous!

Blog Entries
    What a treasure!!! So glad you could get it clean for her.

Blog Entries
    I'd stitch it on by hand with long stitches. You never know what damage a pin might do. I've come across things that I had held together with pins, and the pins rusted.

Beautiful.

That is a beauty!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clem55
    I'd stitch it on by hand with long stitches. You never know what damage a pin might do. I've come across things that I had held together with pins, and the pins rusted.
    Yes, I have too. Almost worse than a plastic bag.

I love redwork and I love old quilts, so I really really do love this quilt!!!

Beautiful!

What a treasure!

Beautiful! She is lucky to have a quilt handed down to her!

What a beautiful quilt. I am so glad you got the stains out. Oxyclean is great for stains!!

Wonderful!! what a gem!!

See, what a treasure! Quilts DO last. Glad you could 'revive' it for your dil (I think I would want to keep it myself.) LOL.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast